Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:10:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bright lights! Bright lights! (Poor Gizmo could never travel with FGW)  (Read 26920 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 09:38:38 »

Dim is the answer - however, the switch for each coach is in the public area and thus can be changed.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:22 »

As ChrisB says, dim is the answer.  Too many complaints when they were refreshed especially at night - even the dim setting isn't very dim!  Occasionally there'll be sets or individual carriages on 'full beam' but not often.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 14:33:56 »

I will always switch the lights to dim if they are on bright.
Dim is bright enough, bright is just too bright. The sooner they turn it into a T-key switch the better.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 15:09:50 »

We have an old thread running with a slightly more detailed discussion of these issues, so in the interest of keeping everything neat and tidy I've merged them together!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 19:18:07 »

They should be on dim yes. Whether or not it is written on paper that they must be is a different matter.
coachflyer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 19:48:28 »

When the refresh sets first appeared there was an instruction that came out that when the sets were prepared on the depots that all lights were to be set on dim.

We were instructed that if we found any on high then we were to put them back to dim.

Will ask around next week to see if this has changed.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 10:18:39 »

On two recent trips in HSTs (High Speed Train) I was interested to observe that full lighting was in use, contary to the usual recent practice of half lighting only.
In my view the use of full lighting is preferable in bright weather, reduced interior lighting in such circumstances presents a sad and gloomy appearence, whereas full lighting gives a bright and cheerful apprearence.

In dull weather, or during the hours of darkness, I would consider half lighting only to be better. Full lighting in such circumstances presents an excesive contrast between interior and exterior lighting and therby spoils the view.

It may seem counter-intuitive to provide more lighting in bright weather, and less in dull conditions, but it is in fact sensible.
As well as providing for safe movement and comfortable reading, interior lighting should, so far as posible, reduce the contrast between interior and exterior lighting levels.

It should also be noted that many platforms have only basic lighting after dark, an excessive level of light on the train can make alighting in the dark hazerdous since the contrast is too great and eyes can take a minute or more to adapt.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 16:04:30 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 10:27:28 »

I assume the "dim" setting is alternate lights down the carriage ceiling being on. That being the case it must mean uneven wear on the lights if the tendency is not to use the bright setting. Unless of course there are two dim settings which swap which lights are used. Might also give a last chance if one set isn't working for some reason. Obviously this would not cope with a major electrical failure but might occasionally save the day.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 12:18:40 »

I am a pensioner going into my mid-seventies. My optician has told me that as you get older your eyes need more light to see properly, especially when reading. It seems to me that whether the HSTs (High Speed Train) have dim or bright lighting settings in use, someone will not be happy. The better solution that is only usually available in first class is for individual light controls but, of course, you have to pay extra for that, usually.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 16:09:25 »

I assume the "dim" setting is alternate lights down the carriage ceiling being on. That being the case it must mean uneven wear on the lights if the tendency is not to use the bright setting. Unless of course there are two dim settings which swap which lights are used. Might also give a last chance if one set isn't working for some reason. Obviously this would not cope with a major electrical failure but might occasionally save the day.

Yes, the dim or half light setting only lights alternate lamps.
This does indeed lead to uneven wear, since on half light it is allways the same lamps that are lit and these get more use.
If full lighting is in use, it may be observed that the less used lamps are slightly brighter on account of the less use that they have had.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 15:46:43 »

Was interested to see that the lighting had been altered on last nights train.
(18-03 from Paddington, 26/10/2011, coach F)

The previously used "daylight" lamps had been replaced with "warm white" still with only alternate lamps lit.
Do not know if this was throughout or only in the restaurant.
Trains in other platforms still had daylight lamps.

Although I like daylight flourescent lamps and use them at home, I accept that I am in a minority regarding this and I suspect that most customers will welcome this change to warm white lighting.

Does anyone know if this is just for the restaurant, or throughout.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2011, 09:29:24 »

Does anyone know if this is just for the restaurant, or throughout.

All sets are being fitted as they come up for replacement.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: