Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:14:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line redoubling: 2008 - 2011  (Read 637445 times)
Busboy W1

View Profile Email
« Reply #1650 on: December 24, 2013, 09:53:19 »

Also with subsidised fares on the North Cotswolds compared to the other alternatives, I can't see a reason for people to travel further afield.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 24, 2013, 12:01:42 »

Banbury - London is now 10 minutes quicker than Oxford to London (despite being much further), with more comfortable seating, air conditioning. Plus more reliable, etc.

With the train taking just 50 minutes from Banbury...

No train takes 50 minutes, in fact for commuters the best offering is over an hour, with plenty of dawdling along the way on some of them due to catching up with stoppers in front.  That's still pretty quick though of course, though about 5 minutes slower than the best offerings from Oxford to Paddington.  Off peak Banbury's service is fantastic, though with a best of 54 minutes each hour compared to 59 minutes from Oxford twice an hour, the difference certainly isn't 10 minutes.  Post IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) and electrification it will be interesting to see how Oxford times compare.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1652 on: December 27, 2013, 11:45:47 »

With the train taking just 50 minutes from Banbury...

Oh dear, there goes BTLine exaggerating again!!! Go on, show us which train(s) manage your timings. Oh yes, they're all in the middle o9d the day, useless for your commuters, of course.

Some commuters even drive from SHROPSHIRE to Warwick Parkway

Have you looked up the definition of 'commuters'. Those that use public transport to get to their place of work. Show me one person who lives in Shropshire whose 'place of work' is in London. You certainly get businessmen going to meetings in London, I completely agree, but 'commuter' doesn't cover them. THat's the 'business traveller'.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 28, 2013, 00:42:03 »

Ok, I'll admit that at rush hour, it's just over an hour from Banbury to London (as the super quick trains are fast from Leamington).

However, this is the SAME as FGW (First Great Western) Oxford to London, a much shorter journey on a 125 mph 4 track railway!

I think you'd be surprised at how far some people commute - there are people who drive for an hour or so to Peterborough and catch the train in everyday. Same from Warwick Parkway; you get the London salary plus a better quality of life not being in the South East.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 28, 2013, 15:18:15 »

London salary, a large chunk of which is spent on petrol, car parking, season ticket plus the "misery cost" of long distance commuting and not seeing the family. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1655 on: December 28, 2013, 20:24:22 »

Rather topical, in view of some recent posts here - this magazine item from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

The rise of the 'extreme commuter'

Most people hate commuting, a modern-day necessary evil. So why would anyone choose to build a lengthy commute into their lifestyle, asks Karen Gregor.

Marcus used to live in London, but moved to rural Suffolk to give his children a bucolic upbringing. In doing so, he created a commute of - on a good day - two hours and 45 minutes in one direction. On a bad day (snow on the line, the wrong kind of leaves) it can take him anything up to three and half hours from home to office.

The journey starts off by car - a quick spin through the lanes to the station. He hops on a single-engine train at 05:40 GMT, which rattles to Cambridge carrying exhausted-looking painter-decorators and builders - there are very few suits around at that unearthly hour. At Cambridge a speedy modern train takes him to King's Cross. From there, he has a 25-minute canal-side walk to his office.

Marcus has what he describes as a "portfolio" career and says that the journey - which breaks up into distinct chunks - allows him time to think about different tasks on each leg of the trip. His beautiful garden, his chickens, and the peace and tranquillity that surrounds his home-life contrasts markedly with the noisy urban streetscape that awaits him each day in London. He enjoys having a foot in each location. The journey, he says, allows him time to make the transition from one to the other.

According to Lizzie Crowley of the Work Foundation, Marcus is officially an "extreme commuter". Anyone whose return journey to work amounts to three hours and over fulfils this criterion. Perhaps Marcus deserves a new term, altogether, such as uber-commuter.

Crowley points out that a recent survey by the recruitment organisation, Randstad, showed that while the recession has led to a drop in the number of people commuting as people lost their jobs - there has been an increase in people travelling more than three hours a day.

The survey, which looked at the commuting patterns of 2,000 workers between 2008 and 2013, found that almost one in 10 respondents were now travelling for that period a day - compared with one in 20 previously. "It's difficult to unpick the reasons why this is happening," says Crowley. "You could say it's a response of highly skilled earners to a tougher labour market. They've expanded their job search to areas further from their home."

Another, more reluctant, commuter who may fall into this bracket is James. He travels by car and train from Trowbridge in Wiltshire to Hook in Hampshire each morning - a door-to door journey of around two hours and 30 minutes. He works as a consultant and his main client, who used to be based 10 minutes from his home, moved their head offices to Hampshire.

Instead of relocating - which wouldn't suit family life - he makes the journey almost daily. "If I had a choice," he says, " I'd like to not have such a long commute, but you just have to go where the work is in these tough times. The fact that I have a job is a good thing. I'd rather not do it, but it's required."

While many extreme commuters may find that the travelling time has no adverse impact on their health, Crowley warns of a "potential for extreme stress, chronic fatigue and an increased likelihood of developing indicators that might lead to a heart attack". Then there is the impact the commute can have on family life.

Jane and Doug live in the Midlands and have three small children. When Doug was made redundant from a local job he found a new one over two hours' drive away. The commute, as such, wasn't a problem for him but it was proving very disruptive for family life. Inevitably, Doug would arrive home just as his young brood were in the middle of the crucial bedtime routine, and order would quickly turn to chaos. Between them Jane and Doug decided it might be more sensible for Doug to stay away two nights a week. This he does, and it's working well for the family.

The word "commuter" originates from the early days of train travel in the US. Train fares would be reduced or "commuted" to make travelling to cities from the newly developed suburbs more affordable. And cost, of course, is a major factor for today's commuters.

Rob makes a three-hour one-way commute so that he and his wife can be closer to elderly parents. This longer commute is cheaper than the shorter one he previously did from Berkshire to London. The unexpected upside of this reduced fare on a non-commuter line is matched by fast wi-fi speed. He's productive from the moment he steps on the train - which he views as a mobile office - to the moment he arrives home in the evening. It makes for extremely long days, but weekends are now entirely his own.

Marion makes her five-hour-a-day return commute from Essex to central London by car and tube. The train is prohibitively expensive. She's not the only commuter in her single-parent family, though. Her daughter doesn't travel the same kind of distance but her daily routine involves being dropped at a friend's house, who then takes her to a child-minder, who delivers her to school. A commuter in the making, perhaps?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 20, 2014, 21:31:17 »

The Prime Minister, has backed calls for the Cotswold Line between Charlbury Junction and Wolvercote Junction to be redoubled according to the Malvern Gazette.

http://www.malverngazette.co.uk/news/11224887._/

That's just the sort of heavy weight backing, (after all, they don't come much heavier) that might see this further redoubling happen at lot sooner than it might of, and seems to have come pretty much out of nowhere.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 20, 2014, 21:46:29 »

That's just the sort of heavy weight backing, (after all, they don't come much heavier)

I'm not sure about that. How about the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government?
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #1658 on: May 21, 2014, 14:13:30 »

It was political pressure rather than rail economics that enabled the 20 mile CL redoubling project to be done 4 years or so ago. When the request went in for redoubling some 4 or 5 years earlier, NR» (Network Rail - home page) said there was no business case for redoubling the line. How things changed when the politicians got involved complaining about CL train delays and cancellations.

stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 29, 2014, 19:49:32 »

Forgive me, but first of all, doesn't the MP (Member of Parliament) for Witney witter on about lots of subjects (reform of the EU» (European Union - about) being one - I won't digress)?

But, although I would welcome the move, I had thought from earlier posts from way back on this topic that there was a more pressing need to redouble Evesham to Norton Junction and to sort out the antiquated signalling at Worcester.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 29, 2014, 20:19:53 »

Forgive me, but first of all, doesn't the MP (Member of Parliament) for Witney witter on about lots of subjects (reform of the EU» (European Union - about) being one - I won't digress)?

But, although I would welcome the move, I had thought from earlier posts from way back on this topic that there was a more pressing need to redouble Evesham to Norton Junction and to sort out the antiquated signalling at Worcester.

Ah yes but those two places are not in Dave's constituency and he might have his seat challenged in a years by others with a more radical view on EU reform .................... now that is being cynical  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
martvw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1661 on: May 29, 2014, 21:30:44 »

If the Charlbury to Wolvercote junction part of the line was redoubled before the Evesham Norton part, so what its still good news !! Its more dual track back in place on the north Cotswold line.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 30, 2014, 09:46:47 »

I don't disagree at all about any redoubling being good news. But, looking at the problem "holistically", doesn't increased capacity on the route require work at the northern end of the line first?

Also, I accept that to boost capacity on the line requires sorting out of the constraints around Oxford - which hopefully will occur as part of the electrification. Pity that's not being extended further across the GW (Great Western) network. That might be a better topic for the MP (Member of Parliament) for Witney to focus on.

As for the other comment, and not totally relevant to GW, I've heard it said that if the Scots go native in September then the MP for Witney may be forced to go early anyway.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1663 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54:17 »

Whoever said that hasn't thought it through. If the Scots vote 'yes', it'll take well past May15 to organise the split - Alex Salmond's talking about 18months....well past the next election.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 30, 2014, 17:04:36 »

The Member for Witney could still be forced to resign as PM before an election - but I digress. How's the planning for the passport controls at Carlisle and Berwick upon Tweed coming along?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112
  Print  

Jump to: