05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 08:15:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 112
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotswold Line redoubling: 2008 - 2011  (Read 640646 times)
willc

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: March 30, 2011, 23:56:14 »

Work to build the walls of the new platform at Ascott-under-Wychwood was under way this morning at the same time as concreting of more of the foundation trenches.

The defences against invasion by newts at Charlbury are now taking shape on the town side of the line as well, opposite the barrier already installed.

Mini-update at http://www.flickr.com/photos/willc2009/
chris from stroud

View Profile Email
« Reply #1036 on: March 31, 2011, 18:21:28 »

Hello, new person here  Smiley

Used to work at Stow on the Wold YHA and quite often caught the train from Moreton in Marsh. Am very pleased that the line's being redoubled, though it is a shame they're not lengthening some of the platforms as well. Hopefully we'll see that in the near future.

Does the new platform at Ascott mean it's going to get more than one train a day, or is it just going to have a similar service to Shipton, which also has two platforms?

Guaranteed line improvements wherever I go (with the exception of Salcombe, which never had one to begin with Tongue): Falmouth, The Cotswolds and Stroud. Melksham or Tavistock next, then?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1037 on: March 31, 2011, 18:27:11 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, chris from stroud.

chris from nailsea  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
chris from stroud

View Profile Email
« Reply #1038 on: March 31, 2011, 18:45:41 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, chris from stroud.

chris from nailsea  Wink Cheesy Grin

I'll be honest, I may have plagiarised the title somewhat. Kind of like Duke of Monmouth and Duke of Gloucester, you might say Grin

I rather like the fact that rail improvements tend to follow me everywhere I go: lived in Falmouth for three years, loop gets installed; live in the Cotswolds, line gets doubled; live in Brockley, Overground gets opened; move back to Stroud, line gets doubled. Next stop Chipping Campden? Tongue

Guaranteed line improvements wherever I go (with the exception of Salcombe, which never had one to begin with Tongue): Falmouth, The Cotswolds and Stroud. Melksham or Tavistock next, then?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 31, 2011, 19:01:19 »

No no. Head to Melksham!  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Don

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 31, 2011, 22:52:23 »

If Chipping Campden gets re-opened that really well be something !

Regards,
Don.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 31, 2011, 23:35:48 »

Sadly, not very likely to happen, as the idea isn't even mentioned in the new Gloucestershire county transport plan, which just says that the RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) doesn't propose any new stations in the county and leaves it at that.

While you could squeeze platforms within the railway boundary, the line is quite a way from the centre of Chipping Campden, so you would need lots of parking and the only way to make room for that would be to buy back the old station site, which is now a business park. One for the 'too difficult' category I fear.

Platform lengthening just isn't going to happen. Too expensive and most of the trains working the route now and for the foreseeable future don't need it.

Ascott-under-Wychwood is likely to get a modest increase in services but timetable plans for September/December are still under discussion. The advantage it will have over Shipton is that both platforms will be able to take a three-coach Turbo set, rather than Shipton's lop-sided two coaches towards Oxford/three coaches towards Worcester arrangement, which is the reason for that station's lop-sided service.

Work observed today included yet more newt barrier at Charlbury, more hardcore being delivered for the platform there, more wall-building and foundation-digging at Ascott and a lot of vegetation cutting just north of Bruern on the west side of the line - not quite clear what that is in aid of.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1042 on: April 01, 2011, 16:58:17 »

From the Oxford Mail:

Early warning of Cotswold Line closures

Rail passengers are getting advance warning about closures of the Cotswold Line this summer for completion of the ^67m track redoubling project.

Staff from Network Rail and train operator First Great Western are getting out and about along the line between Oxford and Worcester to explain why the closures are needed and help passengers plan ahead for periods when trains are suspended.

The extra track is being laid to improve punctuality and reliability of trains on the line, which can suffer extended delays due to long single-track sections created as a cost-cutting measure in the early 1970s.

Rail officials visited Hanbrough and Charlbury stations earlier this week and travelled on afternoon commuter trains from Oxford. They will be at Kingham station between 6am and 9am on Monday.

Network Rail project manager David Northey said: ^We^re doing everything we can to minimise the impact of our work on commuters. However, we will need to close parts of the railway this summer.

"We want to make sure we get the message out to the people who use the route to make sure commuters are well informed.^

The first closure will run from Saturday, May 28, until Sunday, June 5, between Oxford and Moreton-in-Marsh, in Gloucestershire, while four miles of new track and signals from Charlbury to Ascott-under-Wychwood are commissioned. Trains will use the new track from Monday, June 6.

During the closure two replacement bus services will operate, linking Oxford and Moreton-in-Marsh,from where trains will run to Worcester, and Oxford and stations along the line in west Oxfordshire.

Parts of the line will also be closed in August. From Saturday, August 6, until Sunday, August 14, trains will only operate between Oxford and Charlbury, with replacement coaches serving all other stations to Worcester.

From Monday, August 15, to Sunday, August 21, trains will run between Oxford and Moreton-in-Marsh only, with coaches providing connections to Worcestershire.

A further 16 miles of double track will open between Moreton-in-Marsh and Evesham, in Worcestershire, on Monday, August 22.

During the closures, some London Paddington to Cheltenham services which call en route at Didcot Parkway will be extended to and from Worcester, Great Malvern and Hereford.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

willc

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: April 01, 2011, 23:30:52 »

Good progress with the new platform at Ascott-under-Wychwood today. All excavations for the foundations completed (brick rubble from the old platform turned up in the trenches near to the level crossing) and filled with concrete when I passed this evening. The eastern end wall and about half of the front wall are built so far.

S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) crews were out west of Charlbury this morning. More vegetation cutting has been done between Bruern and Kingham and a new small, round sign has been put in place on this stretch next to the up line (towards Oxford) but it is covered over with black plastic, so no idea what it's for.

add - just remembered that more work seems to be starting on the area where the footbridge support at the end of the car park at Charlbury will go. Mini-excavator parked there tonight.

And after newt barriers, meet some more of the Charlbury wildlife http://www.youtube.com/user/NetworkRailMedia#p/u/1/vJH6_cn-GAU
this is also in the newt exclusion zone in the shallow cutting just east of the station and the River Evenlode bridge, which a family of badgers had turned into what was described to me as their 'holiday home' - the main sett is nearby. Network Rail called in the experts who have netted over the area and stopped up all the access holes to the sett. Seems to have done the trick judging by the video.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 00:42:50 by willc » Logged
willc

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: April 02, 2011, 18:10:05 »

Went over to the Vale of Evesham to check on the week's progress there.

Trackbed clearance is now west of Littleton & Badsey level crossing towards Aldington, with about a mile-and-a-half to go to Evesham, so that side of the job could be out to the new double track to single junction west of Evesham in a fortnight or so.

Base ballasting is up to the slew point east of Littleton & Badsey, while the trackbed clearance work has revealed the front wall of the old Worcester-bound platform of Littleton & Badsey station.

Sleepers have almost reached Clayfield level crossing while rails are clipped on for some way west of Honeybourne towards Clayfield - I didn't have the time today to walk out to Sheenhill footpath crossing to see quite how far.

Some pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/willc2009/
Don

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: April 02, 2011, 23:00:44 »

Lots of work planned for pretty well every night next week too with quite a few engineering trains working through during the night.

Something about installing signals in amongst all this in the southern end too.

Regards,
Don.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: April 02, 2011, 23:31:03 »

S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) crews were out west of Charlbury this morning. More vegetation cutting has been done between Bruern and Kingham and a new small, round sign has been put in place on this stretch next to the up line (towards Oxford) but it is covered over with black plastic, so no idea what it's for.

Nothing more interesting than a Whistle board for Bosley's UWC (User Worked Crossing) I think.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1047 on: April 04, 2011, 18:23:18 »

This Network Rail press release gives more details and pictures of the protected wildlife - particularly great crested newts and roman snails: watch where you're treading, willc!  Grin

willc

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: April 04, 2011, 22:04:16 »

The cutting in question is surrounded by private land, so the wildlife is safe from my size 10s.

Work was under way at Charlbury today digging trenches for drains in the new platform, along with more wall-building at Ascott and cable ducts were being laid at the north end of Moreton-in-Marsh station towards the signal box.

Tracklaying in West Oxfordshire has finally resumed, with a half-mile or so of sleepers laid under the road bridge at Chilson and some rails lifted on as well. Not sure when, perhaps Friday night, or I may just not have been looking out of the window at the appropriate point in my journeys on Friday. Looks like they may be going to do the 'easy' bit down to Ascott first, where it's just a case of dropping the sleepers straight from the supply trains and fixing on the rails, before going back to the section between Ascott and the road brdige at Shorthampton/Chadlington, where all the sleepers need picking up from the side of the trackbed to be positioned after the pre-Christmas hold-up due to snow.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: April 05, 2011, 11:40:15 »

Here's a list of the changes from September 2011.

Nothing too radical, though some real benefits to be felt - especially to passengers travelling east of Moreton-In-Marsh.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 112
  Print  

Jump to: