Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:38:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Walsall-Wolverhampton Petition Update  (Read 14037 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2008, 15:10:31 »

Following on from http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3552.msg27608#msg27608 :

Over 350 signatures clocked up, so thanks to all those who have signed so far (link below.)
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/walsallrail/

Thanks also to the people/groups who are publicising the petition :
http://www.walsall.gov.uk/

http://www.centro.org.uk/rail/railintro.asp

http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/

http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/canber

http://www.networkwestmidlands.co.uk/train/train.html

http://railwayeye.blogspot.com/2008/10/in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-scream.html (also includes a plug for the Coffee Shop - thanks Fact Compiler)

Things arent looking great as to the prospects of reversing the decision, it has to be said (link below.)
http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/10/11/rail-link-to-be-axed-in-months/

We will keep plugging away though.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 19:53:20 »

It must be one of the most scandalous closures since Beeching. It must also be ILLEGAL.

A well used, growing service, with potential (new stations etc.) is axed because the gov stops funding the rolling stock (i.e its needed elsewhere).

What about the Heart of Wales? Why are the gov keeping the stock on a 4 per day, underused, slow, non important line, but not Walsall?

It should be illegal to re-allocate rolling stock before closure procedures have been fully carried out (including dealing with campaigns).

Should the councils take the gov to court?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 20:59:53 »

It must be one of the most scandalous closures since Beeching. It must also be ILLEGAL.

A well used, growing service, with potential (new stations etc.) is axed because the gov stops funding the rolling stock (i.e its needed elsewhere).

What about the Heart of Wales? Why are the gov keeping the stock on a 4 per day, underused, slow, non important line, but not Walsall?

It should be illegal to re-allocate rolling stock before closure procedures have been fully carried out (including dealing with campaigns).

It's also one of the silliest as most of the line will remain open as it acts as diversionary/freight route when the Stour Valley is closed. Many Wexham And Shropshire are also routed this way.

Unless they are closing Pleck Junction to Darlaston Junction which would also be stupid, as it forms link from the Midland line via Sutton Park to Wolverhampton and the North avoiding New Street. I've been on a railtour from Shrewsbury back to Wellingborough this way.

There has also been talk of reopening Walsall to Angelsea Sidings which is why the bridge ove the M6 toll is double track.

I know Bescot to Wolverhampton Crane Street Junction and Bushbury Junction are electrified, as is Bescot to Walsall. The latter was an add on when it was realised the New Street - Walsall service was diesel and ran most of the way under the wire.

Is Pleck Junction and Darlaston Junction electrified?  If not a few hundred yards of wire means it could be an electric service New Street Walsall reverse Wolverhampton. If it is electrified I thought we were realtively flush with AC Emus.

Also  Walsall - Rugely is another cheap in fill wiring job to help eliminate diesel working around Birmingham and the WCML (West Coast Main Line). Seeing  a 153, from the canal, on  a Stafford to Birminham via Cannock, or to Coventry via Bedworth on the 4 track section makes me wonder just how stupid D(a)fT really are.   
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 21:11:18 »

With due apologies to eightf48544 who has covered some of these points as I was writing  Grin :

The problem the councils would have is that the line will be kept open for use to freight trains, Wrexham and Shropshire passenger services and will also be used as a diversionary route when the West Coast line is closed for engineering works. No stations will close either, although the new station proposed at Willenhall Bilston Street is likely to be stillborn.

On the Heart Of Wales line, nobody has succeeded in closing it because of where it is situated (indeed, closure was proposed before Beeching.) Hence the famous "it runs through six marginal constituencies" quote.

A lot of people would consider the Heart Of Wales line as the definition of a rural lifeline rail service (link below.)
http://www.heart-of-wales.co.uk/howlframe.htm

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 21:12:17 »

Looking at Quail, the whole line is indeed electrified, but not the lines used from Pleck to Walsall, and only one platform is wired at Walsall, so it would not be possible to run the service with electric stock. But half a mile of electrification and you could use one of the Class 321s that LM (London Midland - recent franchise) are alleged to be looking to keep. (Or more realistically use the 4 car 321 on an overloaded 323 service and use a 323 on the route.)

But the chances of that are nil or lower. Although I would have thought that with employment falling in the City of London, those operators looking at the 321s may be wondering whether they need them all for the next year or two.  

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:00:54 »

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that D(a)fT rail policy is totally stupid.

How much would a bit of extra wire in Walsall station and Pleck to Darlaston Junction cost . If you didn't have to buy a new 172 for the service I would suggest it could pay for itself in under 5 years. Provided Network rail is not ripped off by the contractors.

I expect Lee will post elsewhere the latest warning of higher fares and more crowded trains because of shortages of stock. An aside on the Today programme.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:20:17 »

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that D(a)fT rail policy is totally stupid.

I think most of us came to that conclusion some time ago. Otherwise the Coffee Shop may not have even existed.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 09:33:01 »

Over 350 signatures clocked up, so thanks to all those who have signed so far (link below.)
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/walsallrail/

The petition has now closed with 643 signatures (plus any who signed up before the deadline but have not yet validated their signatures) so thanks again.

Calls are growing for the Government to intervene (link below.)
http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-transport-news/2008/10/23/time-running-out-to-save-walsall-to-wolverhampton-rail-link-65233-22100628/

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 15:18:30 »

How can LM (London Midland - recent franchise) say it is not viable?

It is a single 153 (i.e. relatively cheap to run).

It runs hourly! That is what I call a viable service.

Look at the Heart of Wales, TranWilts etc. If they are worth running (which they are), then the Walsall line is definitely viable. It is even more frequent than the Cotwsold line! It definately deserves subsidy.

It is an absolute scandal, and I still think the gov should be taken to court if they refuse to stamp up the cash. First they axe the 5Ws tram line proposal, then they axe the rail link. next I expect they will put tolls on the main roads between the two areas!

And the gov/ LM have not followed closure procedures.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 15:42:12 »

I believe the service was introduced under the "Speller Amendment" which allowed new services to start without needing to go through a closure process if they were subsequently withdrawn. So the proper procedures are not needed.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 20:31:12 »

I believe the service was introduced under the "Speller Amendment" which allowed new services to start without needing to go through a closure process if they were subsequently withdrawn. So the proper procedures are not needed.
Angry

I am really angry about this. This is scandalous. I'm sorry, I am livid that they are going to get away with it!
 Angry

John R

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 22:25:11 »

I'm annoyed to that what could be such a useful service is being withdrawn. But the principle of the Speller Amendment was sound. If it had not been introduced many stations and new services launched since the mid 80s would not have happened, for fear of not being able to reverse them if the services were unsuccesful. Most services stayed and thrived. A rare example of one that failed and closed was Corby, though hopefully it will be second time lucky, when it eventually starts.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 22:44:08 »

If I remember rightly, Bicester Town and Newbury Racecourse are among examples of stations that benefited.

John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 23:20:33 »

and across the border, the reintroduction of services on the Aberdare branch, City Line, and Maesteg branch would have been much less likely to have happened.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 15:23:53 »

Here is the response from the Government :

Quote from: No 10
The rail service between Walsall and Wolverhampton operates at hourly intervals taking 15 minutes for the 7 mile journey. It is a shuttle service requiring one single car train to operate it.

In developing the specification for the West Midlands franchise, the Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) identified that the Walsall - Wolverhampton service offered poor value for money. In the consultation document published in July 2006, it proposed that the service would not be included in the base franchise specification but it invited Centro to consider funding its retention as an increment. At this time the service was proposed to be withdrawn in December 2007, but DfT later extended this to December 2008 to give Centro more time to consider.

Although the reliability of the service has improved, according to figures produced by Centro it still carries an average of fewer than ten passengers per journey and therefore still offers poor value for money. A decision on whether to continue to fund the service rests with Centro but this is now dependent on whether the train operator can secure the necessary rolling stock.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: