17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 06:03:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Karl Friends of Penmere Introduction  (Read 19517 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2008, 01:00:48 »

Karl,

Again, congratulations to you and your team on your sterling work at Penmere!

I look forward to seeing pictures of the results of your efforts, even if I can't get down there to see them for myself!

Chris  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Karl

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 18:40:44 »

Evening

Uprights are now in position and the sign will
hopefully be fitted in the next couple of weeks.
This will arrive in undercoat which means I will
be busy next week with my paintbrush!  The group
were on site this afternoon to clean off uprights
(which will have more work done on them to make
them look more authentic later), plus some earth
work has been carried out around them to tidy up
the bank.  We hoped by now that the bank would off
been cleared, but we're still waiting for the
contractors to arrive.

Regards

karl. 

quote author=Karl Friends of Penmere link=topic=2518.msg24870#msg24870 date=1217547437]

Morning

Another Update!!!

The uprights for the running-in-board at the Truro
end of the platform were meant to be installed today,
but the bad weather has thwarted this plan; however
they should be done iminently!

Regards

Karl.
Karl

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 07:55:35 »

Morning

Last update, the groups plans in the future are to
reinstate the old corrigated lamp hut (which will
be situated near to the present running-in-board),
plus to reinstate old style gas lams obviously with
the new tungsten light fittings.

This will be last ost to this forum as you just
cannot do right for wrong sometimes on here.

Regards

Karl.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2008, 09:04:25 »

I would be very sorry indeed if that were, indeed, you last post Karl.  But I really appreciate how you feel - on any forum that's grown to the size we have, there will be one or two negative individuals who seem to rub you (and perhaps others too) up the wrong way.

You wouldn't refuse to join a train because there's someone you don't get along with already on board, would you?  So please don't just walk away from here - at least have a chat with the staff [moderators, admins], who may be able to help if you're feeling uncomfortable.  Of course - it could be one of us you're having trouble with Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2008, 11:50:50 »

I'd be very sorry too Karl- your updates on Penmere are always very interesting and it's great to hear news from the Falmouth line and Cornwall in general. The forum certainly wouldn't be the same if you weren't here.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 16:29:40 »

Ah, that's a big, big shame - but I can totally understand your decision, Karl mate. Sometimes when I have a big project on - and the Penmere restoration is certainly that, and a very worthy one too - I often have to "switch off" all the various other distractions that call on my time, otherwise it's just too tempting to log in and get involved with discussions when I ought to be getting my hands dirty.

From knowing hardly anything about the place just a few months ago to now, to where I care enough to have made a point of visiting it a while back just to see the place for real and check how things are going along, you've taken me on quite a journey via your regular updates about Penmere!

If you happen to know anyone else, a friend or a local resident, who does have the time to log in here now and again and post an occasional progress report it would be very very much appreciated - the reinstatement of the (modernised) gas lamps is something I'd definitely like to see for myself for instance. And quite frankly it's a heck of a long way for me to go just to check it on the offchance that the works' been completed!
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2008, 14:39:46 »

Just read the "last post" and I'd like to add my regrets to those already expressed. I've enjoyed and learned from reading your posts and admire you as someone who is actively doing something to better the railway as well as protect its heritage.

For me Penmere, and the Falmouth branch in general, is the beacon in the renaissance of Cornwall's railways at the moment, showing what can happen when passengers, volunteers, political and rail authorities all combine forces.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: