Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:18:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Should a future direct service stop at Didcot, or not?  (Read 31925 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:32:07 »

Before you read the detail .... the current system with irregular trains stopping at Didcot and connections from Swindon (and beyond) to Oxford (and beyond) being hit and miss, causing delays of up to an hour for travellers on what are otherwise half hourly services where some miss the Didcot stop, looks like it could have been designed to discourage traffic from the West. I say "looks like" because I suspect other motives for the odd service pattern.

But the question has been asked "for a future direct service such as the one that was lost a couple of years ago, should a Didcot stop be included?"

First comment.  When I travelled up to Oxford last week from Melksham, nearly everyone who got off at Didcot from the London train walked across the platform to join a near-empty service coming up from Reading.  So the main flow into Oxford on that train was passengers from the west

The train to Oxford arrives at Didcot

Second comment. It would add (I estimate) 10 to 12 minutes into the schedule of the West to Oxford (later to become Bristol / Portsmouth to Cambidge  Wink ) train to stop at Didcot.  For that extra time taken, extra opportunities provided would include a more reasonable service from the West to Didcot itself, and further connections to / from Oxford and the West from Thames Valles stations between Didcot, Reading and London.

Third comment. 10 to 12 minutes is very similar in time to the time taken to change (in a very good case) at the moment, and it's 5 times better than the worst-case scenario of the oft-missed conenctions

Passengers await the train to Oxford arrives at Didcot

Fourth comment.  A through train (provided that a TOC (Train Operating Company) doesn't keep cancelling it - I noticed 16% of services cancelled Swindon to Westbury in the last week - another FGW (First Great Western) Cinderalla route) doesn't suffer the "double jeopardy" of a connection where cancellations / delays on either service delay both parts of the joureny

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 12:19:00 »

Any route from Cambridge to Portsmouth/Bristol will have to stop at a number of key stations, and Didcott is a major station on this route by virture of two major lines joining at this point.

In short, YES.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 14:53:22 »

Didcot however will add a ridiculous amount of time, for destinations that allready have services to/from Didcot, so I am against calling it here

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:25:51 »

See below for my view on this :

Is it possible for a train to route directly to Oxford via Didcot, from the West, without reversing at Didcot

If you are talking about missing out Didcot completely , then yes , there is a curve that would allow that. However , see quote below.

At "our end" we had endless debates (as did Jacobs) about whether a potential Bristol / Trans Wilts - Oxford & beyond service should call at Didcot. I have always believed that it should , mainly due to the connection opportunities that this would provide.

The key to making this viable is opening the line from Cambridge, via Milton Keynes, to Oxford. Then a train from Cambridge to Bristol could certainly be viable. Travelling on to Cambridge/MK (Milton Keynes) opens up a lot more of the rail network and makes many more journeys viable.

I totally agree , and this is what our proposals envisage taking place , certainly as far as Bletchley / Milton Keynes , and hopefully beyond. It has been noticeable that the chances of this happening , as well as the level of political support , have risen recently. See link below.
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2007/03/rail_link_is_a_goer.html#more

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 15:22:53 »

The Jacobs Consultancy Strategic Rail Authority Greater Western Franchise Replacement Outline Business Case Report (link below) recommended the introduction of a Bristol - Oxford service that called at Didcot , saying that there was a "significantly positive economic case" (Pages 38 - 41)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/foi/responses/2006/september06/swindonwestburytrainsservice/greaterwesternoutlinebusines1103

This was dependent on no additional rolling stock resources being required. Two points of note :

1) The business case would be even stronger if trains ran through to Cambridge / Milton Keynes.

2) If the East West Rail link proposal were to be approved , the package would include new rolling stock.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Steve44

I quite like thames turbos...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 16:41:19 »

How come they stopped the Bicester Town - Bristol Temple Meads Service?
I used it quite regularly from Oxford to Swindon and Bristol and it was never empty.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 16:45:36 by Steve44 » Logged
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 17:09:05 »

I used it quite regularly from Oxford to Swindon and Bristol and it was never empty.

It was removed at the insistance of the then-SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about).  The stated reason was that it was to increase the reliability of the remaining services.  It was fairly lightly used, but that might have been because it was frequently cancelled and was not therefore a service that could be relived on.

As an occasional peaktime traveller between Bath and London, I would perversely like all the HSTs (High Speed Train) to stop at Didcot, because it would allow me to save over 50 quid in fares by rebooking at Didcot. 
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 18:22:34 »

It was removed at the insistance of the then-SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about).  The stated reason was that it was to increase the reliability of the remaining services.  It was fairly lightly used, but that might have been because it was frequently cancelled and was not therefore a service that could be relived on.

The SRA's Bristol-Oxford decision also severely damaged the-then reasonable hopes of opening a station at Corsham, by removing the services that would have called there.

By the way, welcome to the forum Steve44.

dog box

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 21:45:01 »

how about increasing the stops at Didcot and missing out Chippenham

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 10:09:18 »

Interesting comments about a West to Oxford /Cambridge service calling at Didcot. any such service would have to reverse in the platform.

From other comments in this forum when I suggested a Bristol Swindon stopping service reversing at Trowbridge it was suggested "THEY" didn't like reversing trains in through platforms.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:24:47 »

A good overview of Didcot (which has 5 platforms in use) can be found in the link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didcot_Parkway_railway_station

unfarepayingpassenger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 15:46:32 »

I used the Bristol-Oxford service before it was removed. It saved changing trains at Didcot and Oxford to go to Crewe. This service was often cancelled though for any reason, snow in Inverness would cancel this train.

I'm all for more stops at Didcot because I've got split season tickets.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 16:57:49 »

I used the Bristol-Oxford service before it was removed. ...

It was an extremely useful service ... said to have been canned because of a "lack of capacity between Bath and Bristol". 

This is an old thread, but I'm glad you've brought it back to life.   Because the GWRUS (Great Western Route Utilisation Strategy), consultation ended at the end of last November, included a proposal for an extra train within the hour from Bristol to Bath, for which it thought the capacity was in place.  Odd one, that ... it kind of confirms my cynical view that once Thames Trains and Great Western came under the same company, the Bristol to Oxford was taken off to save operating costs, since the Bristol to London service is busiest inwards from Reading.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 17:44:35 »

Whilst there are 3 car Turbos leaving Paddington at peak hours I can see no justifcation whatsoever for the Bristol - Oxford service to return. Turbos are of much lower quality than HSTs (High Speed Train), for such a long distance journey!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 19:48:21 »

Any cross-country service that runs needs to be fast to justify its existence (so people travel on it instead of going via London).

Therefore, I'm going to stretch my neck out and say that it should not call at Didcot. People can connect at Swindon or Oxford.

Regarding stock, hopefully if Xrail happens, they'll be a few 165s spare from 2017. Only 7 years. Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: