09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 11:19:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Loco hauled  (Read 64641 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2008, 16:30:58 »

well i dont think there is a shortage of older coaches and locos is there?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2008, 20:17:20 »

The amount of LHCS (Locomotive Hauled Coaching Stock) ive seen around the railway in places like Derby, Crewe, London I doubt very much that there is a shortage of LHCS.

however an insider did tell me that alot of it is incompatible with certain locos and other carriages of the same type (MKII etc).

but having said that of the LHCS i've seen there alot of it in GW (Great Western) Fag Packet livery. So why FGW (First Great Western) don't use it to relieve overcrowding on busier routes such as the Portsmouth - Cardiff lines is beyond me.

I for one would quite like to see a FGW refurbished MK2 and a loco such as a 67 or 47 in FGW dynamic lines livery

Grin Grin Grin Grin

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2008, 20:33:54 »

were just going to get arguments from people saying station linger time station linger time..... i dont care i want a seat!!!!! and i want more people off the road!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2008, 11:44:38 »

were just going to get arguments from people saying station linger time station linger time..... i dont care i want a seat!!!!! and i want more people off the road!

Your theory is flawed. If it takes longer, why are they going to ditch the faster car?

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2008, 19:45:34 »

Your theory is flawed. If it takes longer, why are they going to ditch the faster car?

i admit that in devon full on gridlock is not as bad as certain parts of the country however im sure you will agree that some morning getting into exeter or plymouth is not fun!, and if you are not lucky enough to have a carpark at work then well....

anyway my main point is the environment and the fact that not everyone can afford to use the car anymore
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2009, 18:43:17 »

Purely rumour, though from a knowledgeable source.

FGW (First Great Western) wish to keep, (beyond the May timetable changes),  the loco hauled set currently doing TAU» (Taunton - next trains)-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) duties.  67 haulage to be ditched in favour of additional FGW 57s, which will be 'pooled' with the current sleeper service traction.  Don't discount the possibility of another set and possible use of locos + 4 on summer Saturdays BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)- Devon
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2009, 19:20:35 »

Purely rumour, though from a knowledgeable source.

FGW (First Great Western) wish to keep, (beyond the May timetable changes),  the loco hauled set currently doing TAU» (Taunton - next trains)-CDF» (Cardiff - next trains) duties.  67 haulage to be ditched in favour of additional FGW 57s, which will be 'pooled' with the current sleeper service traction.  Don't discount the possibility of another set and possible use of locos + 4 on summer Saturdays BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)- Devon

Have heard something that would make that all very possible.

Relex109 - you refer to not full scale gridlock. Can I suggest a trip along the A380 from Newton Abbot - Sainsburys Paignton - fun!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2009, 20:14:36 »

Relex109 - you refer to not full scale gridlock. Can I suggest a trip along the A380 from Newton Abbot - Sainsburys Paignton - fun!

Try A38 Around the Liskeard Dobwalls area, Now thats fun!!! especially during the summer holiday season, a simple 20 Minute bus journey between Liskeard and Dobwalls took 1 Hour an 15 minutes. would have been quicker to walk, literually Wink

However once the Dobwalls Bypass is completed, much less of a problem... Well... Maybe... Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2009, 19:40:38 »

work for citylink trust me i seen the gridlock first hand, but i have also been stuck in a car for three and a half hours from manchester city centre to astley (nr bolton) no that is GRIDLOCK! LOL (laughing out loud)
DanielP

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2009, 11:14:03 »

I have no actual knowledge of what is going on with potential loco hauled situation, but it occurs to me that Arriva probably have approx 3x four car rakes of MK2 aircon stock. Might this have something to do with it??

Daniel
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2009, 11:36:05 »

Any likelihood of keeping or increasing 180s must surely be impossible now anyway, with all those ECML (East Coast Main Line) open access operators needing them being approved today?

Paul
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2009, 12:40:22 »

Loco hauled services can be expensive to run, but are useful for increasing capacity and therefore customer satisfaction.
To loco haul 12 coaches costs more than 6, but not twice as much, therefore it would seem that the best use would be a 10/12 coach loco hauled train on whatever the busiest HST (High Speed Train) diagram is.
This would free an HST to displace a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) from whatever the busiest DMU diagram is, thus freeing one or two DMUs and allowing lengthing of the most overcrowded services.
Therefore the introduction of one or two full length loco hauled trains would bring real benifits to many passengers, not just those on board.

Perhaps a long loco hauled set of coaches could be used on the Golden Hind (up and down) This service is frequently very overcrowded, and is meant to be especialy important.
Does anyone know if a 67 with coaches could keep to HST times? or would two 67s be required?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Doctor Gideon Ceefax

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2009, 13:01:49 »

You'd need Mark III coaches, as the Mark II's are only certified for 100mph running
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2009, 14:17:05 »

Aren't loco-hauled (as opposed to HST (High Speed Train) trailer) mk IIIs limited to 110 mph or am I barking up the wrong tree?

But surely the Golden Hind only has the chance to run at 125 between Reading and Padd anyway? I'd have thought that it would be acceleration away from station stops rather than top speed that would be key to keeping time on that kind of service.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2009, 14:20:39 »

You'd need Mark III coaches, as the Mark II's are only certified for 100mph running

Isn't there only a few places that the HST (High Speed Train) can do 125MPH? I'm pretty sure that Reading - London is 125, But between Taunton & Westbury it's only 90 - 100MPH

So would it really make much of a difference.

But a MK3 Loco Hauled would be better than MK2 because they can carry more passengers, but you'd need SDO (Selective Door Opening) because some platforms can only just accomodate 8 carriages... Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: