Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:50:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paddington to Ealing B/Way  (Read 8408 times)
annina

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2008, 14:55:45 »

Hello Everyone, This is my first posting.  My daughter may soon be attending a Secondary School in Ealing and will need to get the train from Paddington to Ealing B.  I heard it rumoured that this train may stop at Westbourne Park again.  Is this true?  This would be perfect for her if it is.  I would be really interested to hear if there a campaign to re-open the Westbourne Park station.  Looking forward to hearing from someone.  Many thanks
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 15:19:12 »

Hello Everyone, This is my first posting.  My daughter may soon be attending a Secondary School in Ealing and will need to get the train from Paddington to Ealing B.  I heard it rumoured that this train may stop at Westbourne Park again.  Is this true?  This would be perfect for her if it is.  I would be really interested to hear if there a campaign to re-open the Westbourne Park station.  Looking forward to hearing from someone.  Many thanks

Welcome to the forum, annina.

I'm afraid there are no plans to re-open Westbourne Park station to the National Rail network. The remodelled track layout that led to its closure prohibits any re-opening. The Crossrail link will come up to the surface at a point between Royal Oak and Westbourne Park stations but there are no plans for a station there as it is too close to the site of the new Paddington Crossrail station. In any case that won't be in operation until after your daughter has left school!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 16:12:32 »

There was a post elsewhere about Crossrail which implied there would be a station there for terminating trains. There will indeed be sidings there so yes they will terminate at WP. and a platform for anyone who doesn't get off at Paddington (!), but no station.

John 
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 16:51:28 »

There was a post elsewhere about Crossrail which implied there would be a station there for terminating trains. There will indeed be sidings there so yes they will terminate at WP. and a platform for anyone who doesn't get off at Paddington (!), but no station.

John 

Just amplifires what I've said previously Crossrail doesn't work West of Padd. Hence the need for a platform near Royal Oak for people who don't get off a terminating train at Paddington. i believe they are put on the next train back. As this will be 14 out of 24 trains per hour this paltfrom will probably see a lot of use.
annina

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 18:18:09 »

Thank you for your replies.  It is disappointing news!  In deciding whether to apply to the Ealing school/s, I have to take into account the journey to get there.  I would appreciate some feedback from travellers on what it is like to travel from Paddington to Ealing B/W at around 8 am each weekday, and returning 4-5pm.  Are there lots of school children travelling?  Are they well behaved?  Is the service fairly reliable? etc.  Your comments would be appreciated.  Many thanks.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 21:16:06 »

Paddington - Ealing Broadway has a service about every 10-15 minutes, sometimes closer together. Service is usually good.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 00:48:21 »

Thank you for your replies.  It is disappointing news!  In deciding whether to apply to the Ealing school/s, I have to take into account the journey to get there.  I would appreciate some feedback from travellers on what it is like to travel from Paddington to Ealing B/W at around 8 am each weekday, and returning 4-5pm.  Are there lots of school children travelling?  Are they well behaved?  Is the service fairly reliable? etc.  Your comments would be appreciated.  Many thanks.

The service is pretty reliable and quick. There's not a noticeable amount of school children travelling when compared with some other services in the area - notably trains in/out of Maidenhead and Drayton Green. Your daughter should have no problems getting a seat travelling against the rush-hour flow though trains would not be empty.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:32:43 »

Agree Padd to Ealing would be OK.

Hammersmiths from Westbourne Park to Padd are usually full and standing in the peak, but not packed unless there are problems but it's only five minutes. She might also encounter problems getting off 16 if a mainline train has just arrived with people rushing to get the train. But if she waits for teh rush to die down it's OK. Many of her trains to Ealing will leave from 13/14 so right next door.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: