Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:01:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: St Erth Station - incidents, facilities, improvements and awards (merged topic)  (Read 26013 times)
jester

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 13:35:13 »

Loving the phrase 'taking advantage of the available capacity on the railway' Huh Have any of them travelled recently???
Maxwell P

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 16:56:55 »

Long overdue, but I hope that if this does go ahead, it will be done sympathetically with due regard for the gem that is St Erth station.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 01:06:44 »

Compared to Other places the Size of Penzance, Penzance is riding things well, there aren't that many empty Shops in Penzance.
Nope, Penzance is far worse than most places, the fact that most of the shops that are still open are all pound shops and junk shops says it all, there are probably 4 "big" names in the town and one of those is poundland and Iceland another, need I say more?........... Basically there is nothing to attract people from outside the town, if you live in west Cornwall you may as well go to Truro (like most do), Penzance shot it's self in the foot by not allowing the likes of M&S to come into the town.

If proof were ever needed just look how many commuters travel on the 0741 and 0828 from Penzance compared with how many arrive on the sleeper and the XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) that arrives just after and the very few daytrippers outside of holiday season.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 04:16:39 »

Go 10 miles South, North or West from Penzance and you're at sea.   The metrics of Penzance are bound to differ from the metrics of most other towns due to its geographic location ... how does it compare to Cambeltown? And there links to tell us, because I'm sure that someone has worked it out - Penzance council for starters (And are we going off topic here?   Still interesting, though ... )

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 17:09:46 »

From the Western Morning News:

Quote from: Western Morning News
Green light for new ^10m transport hub

Plans to create a new park and ride scheme at a west Cornwall railway station and 750 car parking spaces as part of a ^10 million development have been approved by councillors.

On Thursday members of Cornwall Council's strategic planning committee voted 16-5 in favour of granting planning permission at St Erth station near St Ives.

The scheme includes a park and ride service to St Ives, Penzance and Truro.

Supporters said the new "transport interchange" would reduce congestion on the roads while critics argued the scheme was too costly.

Graeme Hicks, the council's portfolio holder for transport highways and environment said the new system was a key part of the local transport plan to connect Cornwall.

He said: "The rail network in Cornwall has untapped capacity which can help us towards taking people out of their cars and reducing the growth of traffic on our roads.

"I hope that this new transport interchange will encourage people to investigate the local area and be a trigger for further local investment.

"The interchange will improve the connectivity between different transport modes and enable car-free days out for visitors whilst enabling commuters and businesses to use car-free travel for part of their journeys.

"This will help reduce congestion on the A30 through the villages of Rose-an-Grouse, Canon's Town, Cockwells and Crowlas."

Three car parks are planned to lie adjacent to the existing railway station.

A new section of road will be created through the A30 junction for cyclists and pedestrians to use.

The scheme includes improvements to the A30 junction with Station Approach, including traffic signals, along with additional lanes for turning traffic.

Councillors said this would increase the junction capacity and regulate traffic flows by reducing congestion and improve the current situation for vehicles travelling to and from St Erth village.

It is anticipated that construction will commence early next year.

Councillor Rob Nolan, who voted against the scheme said it was far too expensive.

He said: "It will cost around ^40,000 per parking space.

"This is a colossal waste of money.

"We can't ignore the fact we might be wasting money."

When Philip Mason, head of planning and regeneration, interrupted Mr Nolan to remind him to "put cost out of his mind" and leave it to another committee to decide, the councillor replied: "You cannot ignore cost."

I visited the site at St Erth today, along with visits to Lelant Saltings, Carbis Bay and St Ives stations. Good to see a fair few people about wherever I went, with the 2-coach Class 150 unit well-loaded.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 22:31:44 »

I visited the site at St Erth today, along with visits to Lelant Saltings, Carbis Bay and St Ives stations. Good to see a fair few people about wherever I went, with the 2-coach Class 150 unit well-loaded.

Going to be interesting to see how the extended park & ride works out.
In winter the service is 1x153, March to high season is 1x150, high season is 2x150 .
In summer the 2x150 are PACKED and despite ticket facilities at the Saltings car park and two Conductors St Ives is also barriered to enable revenue collection.
The service is maxed out at 2tph and even with a rumoured extra 153 I wonder if all these potential extra visitors are going to actually get to St Ives.
Would be great if they did as access and parking in St Ives is woeful - the rail link puts you right at a beach and very close to the town centre.

Would also help while there is cash sloshing around - a disabled ramp from St Ives station to the path below the station leading to the town  - the Station has a disabled toilet which I've never seen used as it's sort of isolated by steps and steep hills.

Also a huge sign to the path - 'town & beaches this way'...so many people head out via the car park. 

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 17:28:08 »

When were the barriers installed at St. Ives Station? I was there on holiday last June and there were no barriers there then.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 19:04:21 »

When were the barriers installed at St. Ives Station? I was there on holiday last June and there were no barriers there then.

Portable crush barrier type of thing.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 21:23:30 »

From The Cornishman:

St Erth Railway Station reaches final of international awards

Staff at St Erth Railway Station have been celebrating after reaching the finals of an international competition.

The railway station reached the top six of of the International Station Awards of the Year 2013 which rate stations based on their appearance, the facilities available, transport links and customer focus.

St Erth Railway Station reaches final of international awards

Judges from different railway companies looked at the station, which is managed by First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)), over a two month period.

Sara Rogers, station manager, represented St Erth at the awards in Cardiff. She said: ^We did so well to achieve a place in the finals, but of course I am sad that we didn^t achieve the top prize. Especially after the hard work that was put in to show the judges how good our passengers feel about St Erth Station.^

First place went to Aylesbury Vale Parkway, which was named Best Small Station of the Year.

Despite not taking home an award, Jeremy Joslin, director of the Sterling Group who created and run the First Class Buffet on the Station, was delighted with the result.

^We have a great relationship with First^s staff from Sara to the regular duty station managers Ray and Peter and including the train crews who rest over at the station,^ said Mr Joslin. ^We always help each other to make the passengers feel welcome and a little less worried about their long journeys. This international recognition is a great boost to the buffet and to the hard work done by our FGW staff.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 22:22:42 »

Whatever happened to this scheme. Is it ever going to happen?
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 16:16:06 »

I have just heard that Cornwall Council has rejected the idea of demolishing the listed footbridge and installing lift towers.
At present disabled passengers cannot cross the line at St.Erth from the down platform to the exit. There is a dispensation that you can travel to Penzance and get a train back.

One idea aired for the lifts not being required is that all down trains crossover to the Up platform and then back to the Down again for the onward trip to Penzance!! This would be great for line capacity and virtually turn St.Erth into a single line.

It will be interesting to see what the plans will be in the future with the Park and ride and the through trains from St.Ives to Penzance.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 17:04:12 »

There is a dispensation that you can travel to Penzance and get a train back.

Is there always a connection to get someone back? Would a taxi option be used where no connection back.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 17:45:08 »

The last train back is often the Crosscountry service after the sleeper at 22.08 weekdays. If arriving after that a taxi is essential.

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
brompton rail

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 18:43:26 »

Would sighted disabled (probably wheel chair users) be better getting of at Hayle if they are not continuing by train. I assume the barrow crossing is still in use. Otherwise Penzance is the only option.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 18:46:22 »

Would sighted disabled (probably wheel chair users) be better getting of at Hayle if they are not continuing by train. I assume the barrow crossing is still in use. Otherwise Penzance is the only option.

Barrow Crossing is closed at Hayle - There is a fully wheelchair friendly underpass in place now.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: