Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:50 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:09 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Great Malvern
18:57 London Paddington to Great Malvern
19:05 Great Malvern to London Paddington
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
20:30 Carmarthen to Bristol Parkway
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
21:15 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 21:05:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[97] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] IETs at Melksham
[18] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[17] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[16] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Severn Bridge tolls  (Read 41265 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2017, 19:37:33 »

As much as I detest selective road charging, a "free flow" system would be much welcomed.

I've been very happy with the Dart Charge system.  You either pay for an individual journey or have a prepay account (a bit like an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card but without the card).  The account gives a discount.  Even when I had a zero balance one time, the toll was still applied to my account (at the discounted price) once I topped up the following date.

Many people say it is hassle having to pay online, but I personally find this easier than having to slow down, queue then count out cash at a toll barrier.  Especially as it can be done in advance and multiple journeys paid for in one transaction.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2017, 17:31:49 »

From the Bristol Post:

Labour and Tories both promise to scrap tolls on Severn Bridge

Ending the toll could boost the local economy by £100 million, the Tories predict

Theresa May’s Conservatives have pledged to scrap the tolls on the Severn Crossings linking Bristol to Wales if they win the General Election.

The Prime Minister said the move – which the Tories predict will bring a £100 million boost to the local economy – will happen as soon as next year when Highways England takes over responsibility for the bridges from Severn Crossings PLC.

The policy announcement came on the day Labour unveiled their manifesto, which also pledged to "work with the Welsh government" to scrap tolls on the two crossings.

Labour's long-held Bristol East is thought to be viewed as a Tory target in this election, given the popularity of Mrs May and the collapse of UKIP's vote since the referendum.

The Severn Crossings are key routes, especially for those living in South Wales and commuting regularly to Bristol for work and leisure.

The price charged on a car or van using the crossings is £6.70 a time, but rises to £13.40 for minibuses with up to 17, double-cab pick-ups or lorries under 3,500kg. Buses with 18 seats or more, and heavy goods vehicles weighing over 3,500kg pay £20 for every crossing.

There are heavily discounted seasonal electronic tags available for purchase, however. For example, a month-long pass for a car driver is the equivalent of taking 18 individual trips across the bridges.

Mrs May, who is due to formally make the announcement later today, is expected to say: “I want to ensure that our economic progress is shared across the United Kingdom. By abolishing tolls for 25 million annual journeys between two nations we will strengthen the links between communities."

"This will drive economic growth right across the country helping key economic centres in Cardiff, Bath, Bristol and Newport,” the Tory leader will say. “By significantly reducing the cost of doing business between Wales and England, the Conservatives continue to deliver on improving the economic prospects of ordinary working people.”

A spokesman for the Tories said the move was backed by commuters and communities on both sides of the crossings during a public consultation that closed in March.

A view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the old Severn Bridge, seen from Dundry Hill, Bristol (Photo: Dan Regan)

“For the past 50 years, tolls of up to £20 have been levied on vehicles crossing the Severn but a future Conservative government will scrap them for millions of drivers who use the bridges every year,” said the spokeswoman.

She said the decision would “bind together two economic areas in Wales and England, supporting the Union, whilst sharing prosperity right across the United Kingdom”.

Secretary of State for Wales, Alun Cairns, is expected to add: “Scrapping the Severn Crossing tolls is an example of the Conservatives of taking the big decisions when they’re the right decisions, in doing so, transforming the joint economic prospects of South Wales and the South West of England. Drivers using this key artery between two nations, en route to London, will benefit from a £100m boost to the local area.”

And, by the way, my personal thanks to Dan Regan for that absolutely brilliant picture of those two bridges - it's not an image I've seen before, but it really is a good one!  Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2017, 20:29:05 »

As for abolishing the Severn Bridge tolls, are they talking about both bridges? It sounds like it. I'm not sure I think it's a good idea TBH (to be honest).

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2017, 20:33:54 »

It would have to be both bridges else one would be rather quiet.

If the bridge has been paid for, which it will have been by the year end, it seems reasonable that the ongoing maintenance costs for such a vital link should come out of the general public purse. I suspect the costs of collecting the tolls will represent a large proportion of the reduced tolls that had already been agreed, and this again leans towards complete abolition.

I would put the Tamar Bridge in the same category.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017, 00:48:37 »

One of them is rather quiet anyway, hence why I habitually use it in preference to the other one. The old lady deserves a bit of peace and quiet in her later years anyway!
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 09:24:52 »

One of them is rather quiet anyway, hence why I habitually use it in preference to the other one. The old lady deserves a bit of peace and quiet in her later years anyway!

I too use the original bridge out of preference having spent many hours watching it being built from my bedroom window when a small boy the cranes kept me entertained for ages.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 09:33:09 »

I use whichever one is nearest to where I'm going, but I'm just an unromantic pragmatist.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2017, 16:48:32 »

And, by the way, my personal thanks to Dan Regan for that absolutely brilliant picture of those two bridges - it's not an image I've seen before, but it really is a good one!  Cheesy

As our discussion about the perspective of that particular image has moved on, I have now split off several posts and created a new topic for them, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18289.0

Hope this helps!  CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2017, 06:38:44 »

Severn Bridge tolls to be scrapped by the end of 2018. That was a news story headline item on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio 4 Today programme at 0600 this morning whilst I was in the bathroom but I didn't catch the rest of the item but it has been repeated on the 0630 news headlines.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2017, 08:22:52 »

Severn Bridge tolls to be scrapped by the end of 2018. That was a news story headline item on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Radio 4 Today programme at 0600 this morning whilst I was in the bathroom but I didn't catch the rest of the item but it has been repeated on the 0630 news headlines.

Interesting background article (from April) from Insider Media

Turnover has passed the £100m mark at the company which operates the Severn Bridge and Second Severn Crossing, thanks to a 4 per cent increase in the number of journeys and inflation-linked toll increases.

Severn River Crossing was founded to take over the operation and maintenance of the Severn Bridge and finance, operate and maintain the Second Severn Crossing.

Revenue from toll charges is being used to pay off debt finance before both bridges return to public ownership.

The required revenue is set to be achieved in late 2017 with the bridges set to go into public ownership in 2018.

The latest accounts for Severn River Crossing plc show turnover of £103.2m was achieved in the year to 31 December 2016, up from £98m in 2015. Pre-tax profit also increased to £44.5m from £38.8m the year before.

The income generated by the business was used to repay an £80m bank loan during the year.

The company said traffic travelling westbound over both bridges had grown to 14.4 million vehicles, up from 13.9 million.

Car journeys increased by 4.4 per cent, light goods vehicles trips by 1.7 per cent and heavy goods vehicles crossing by 2.9 per cent.

In their report accompanying the accounts the directors said traffic growth was expected to continue in 2017, while revenues would be boosted by further index-linked toll price rises.

Earlier this year, the UK (United Kingdom) Government revealed plans to reduce tolls on the bridges when they go into public ownership.

Under the proposals, cars would pay £3 instead of the current £6.70. Small buses or vans would also pay £3, down from £13.40 lorries and coaches would pay £10 instead of £20.

A 'free-flow' charging system will also be considered, with toll booths removed and vehicles crossing the bridges instead monitored by cameras.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 23:44:43 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Severn Bridge tolls to be reduced in January 2018

Tolls on the Severn Bridges will be cut in January for the first time, as VAT (Value Added Tax) is removed from the fees.

Cars heading for Wales will be charged £5.60 instead of £6.70, with vans paying £11.20 - down from £13.40 - and coaches £16.70, currently £20.

UK (United Kingdom) ministers confirmed it was a step towards abolishing tolls altogether at the end of 2018, as revealed in July.

Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns said tolls had been "an economic and symbolic barrier to Wales' future prosperity".

It will be the first time since the first Severn Bridge opened in 1966 that the toll has been cut.

The reduction takes effect on 8 January, the date the two crossings return to public ownership.

Motorists will also not face the usual inflation-related increase on New Year's Day.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2017, 05:42:49 »

Motorists will also not face the usual inflation-related increase on New Year's Day.

True. The VAT (Value Added Tax) free prices are, though, rounded up so it's a modest 1p to 4p increase if you look at it like that. As the things are now in public ownership and VAT is a public tax, though, the reality is that total government take from private motorists (who are not VAT registered) is reduced, and some pay-and-reclaim stuff that's the business admin's workload is removed.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2018, 17:12:25 »

The reduction in tolls is welcome, as is their abolition later this year.

Now, what do people think of the renaming of the Second Severn Crossing? The Prince of Wales Bridge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-43647151

I'm in agreement with fellow republicans. Just so unimaginative to name it after Brian.

Why couldn't there have been a public vote on a new name? Bridgey McBridgeface would have been so much better.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2018, 17:26:43 »

Now, what do people think of the renaming of the Second Severn Crossing? The Prince of Wales Bridge.

well

Labour Cardiff Central MP (Member of Parliament) Jo Stevens accused Mr Cairns of "wasting time on PR (Public Relations) projects".

"No tidal lagoon, no post-Brexit replacement funding, no rail electrification to Swansea but the Tory Secretary of State has managed to get a bridge renamed," she said.

I hope the renaming wasn't as expensive as the electrification to Swansea would have been!

It's good to see a smaller project near Pilning going ahead - perhaps that will set a precedent for another

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2018, 17:46:16 »

Let's hope the bridge plaque doesn't say Price of Wails ! Roll Eyes

I hope abolishing the tolls won't let in the trolls !
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 17:54:28 by chuffed » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: