Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 11:30:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[137] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Signage - not making it easy ...
[11] IETs at Melksham
[10] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[9] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: LOOK! : First Great Western Refreshed HST's  (Read 7972 times)
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 22:39:09 »

Try 6am with a hangover.... Angry Angry
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 23:15:38 »

in my opinion 158's were the best but they are looking tired already.
Why is this? SWTs (South West Trains) 158s/159s were refurbed before FGW (First Great Western)'s and still look as good as new.

SWT had a bigger budget and better refurb spec,also the maintainence is far superior to FGW probably because they only have one class of train to look after and more spare sets so can stop them for repairs etc.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 09:10:51 »

SWT (South West Trains) had a bigger budget and better refurb spec,also the maintainence is far superior to FGW (First Great Western) probably because they only have one class of train to look after and more spare sets so can stop them for repairs etc.

Yes, but let's not forget that the franchise bid, by Alison Forster and her First team, set the budget and also the number of trains they needed - so that although you are, I'm sure, on the right track it's through choice of the companies concerned and not just down to the luck of the draw. First chose to squeeze budgets, and to squeeze passengers.

Didn't SWT used to run some 170 units (?) from Salisbury too?  Was the maintainance there os a significantly lower standard before they switched to a nearer-uniform fleet of just two classes - 158s and 159s?

And on a positive note for FGW, let's remember how well Exeter have done with 142s, and that the present incumbents in most FGW roles are not the same people who were at the front and making the bid that they're delivering until 2016 even if they were with the company elsewhere.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 15:04:46 »

I was going to make the point about Exeter and what can be done with dedicated facilities, and their efforts have been recognised and rightly applauded elsewhere on this site.

It has gone quiet on the SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) facilities of late, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) it was meant to mirror the SWT (South West Trains) arrangement at Salisbury, did this ever happen, as even recently 158's have gone to Salisbury for work, at least the fluff has stopped coming out of the carpets.  Grin
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 15:10:55 »

SWT (South West Trains) had a bigger budget and better refurb spec,also the maintainence is far superior to FGW (First Great Western) probably because they only have one class of train to look after and more spare sets so can stop them for repairs etc.

Yes, but let's not forget that the franchise bid, by Alison Forster and her First team, set the budget and also the number of trains they needed - so that although you are, I'm sure, on the right track it's through choice of the companies concerned and not just down to the luck of the draw. First chose to squeeze budgets, and to squeeze passengers.

Didn't SWT used to run some 170 units (?) from Salisbury too?  Was the maintainance there os a significantly lower standard before they switched to a nearer-uniform fleet of just two classes - 158s and 159s?

And on a positive note for FGW, let's remember how well Exeter have done with 142s, and that the present incumbents in most FGW roles are not the same people who were at the front and making the bid that they're delivering until 2016 even if they were with the company elsewhere.

now you come to mention it the 170's were looked after to same standard as the 159's,so it must be a number of reasons.

with the odd exception swt diesels end at a depot every day.
more scope to stop units for repairs
more skilled enthusiastic workforce maybe?

also exeter have done a fantastic job on clapped out pacers lets hope once they take on the 143's the reliability of them improves,as train crew i see all the time the shortcomings of SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) far too many team leader informed,no fault found or for mobile to ride responses in defect books to faults train crew have reported.also worth noting that the good old canton trick of changing repair book is becoming more common with these now
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 17:55:51 »

FGW (First Great Western) refreshed HSTs (High Speed Train) - I've said it before and I'll say it again - in my opinion bloody awful. I'm of the old school and I don't expect ttain journeys to be like Ryanair. There's more legroom on an Easyjet flight than on FGW (and Easyjet charges less per mile half the time).
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 18:17:31 »

And there is more legroom on a FGW (First Great Western) Hst than a Voyager, ... but what about Ryanair is there more legroom on a ryanair plane than an Easy jet one.........quite frankly i am not interested

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 12:21:01 »

(and Easyjet charges less per mile half the time).

when you book 6 months in advance! Try going to Bristol Airport on the day you want to travel sunshine and you'll be in for a shock!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 12:50:21 »

when you book 6 months in advance! Try going to Bristol Airport on the day you want to travel sunshine and you'll be in for a shock!

And also try taking as much luggage to the airport, that people seem to think they can take on trains and see how excess baggage works... I wish the railways would enforce this, because it really does take the mick sometimes.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 23:43:55 »

And also try taking as much luggage to the airport, that people seem to think they can take on trains and see how excess baggage works... I wish the railways would enforce this, because it really does take the mick sometimes.

that is a valid point however if every passenger had a suitcase would there be enough storage?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: