02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 11:37:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: IMPORTANT! 0710 Bristol - Pad  (Read 7280 times)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2007, 18:12:32 »

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Documents/Custom/FGW%20-%20372.pdf

Not running when Newquay direct runs

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 18:22:57 »

What a laugh, this service NEVER runs anyway so no difference really. Love the wording that says that this was always a planned ammendement that was never published. Wonder if anyone ever turned up at BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI))/Parkway hoping to catch this service? Oh well its officially now...it ain't running at all during the summer.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 23:52:33 »

Does that mean the 06:00 Swansea - London Paddington will now be stopping daily at Didcot which it usually does when the 07:10 Bristol Temple Meads - London Paddington is cancelled or is FGW (First Great Western) giving the two fingers to commuters from Bristol Parkway to Didcot YET AGAIN.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 08:47:52 »

I have asked about the 07:10 off Bristol before, as it seems to have one of the worst records of any train (along with the 05:29 Gloucester / 06:19 Swindon to Westbury, and the other three services on that line).

The answer I was given is that it's an extra train over and above the contract requirement, and so it's the first to be cancelled if any of the 125s isn't available for service as expected.  The answer went on to tell me of plenty of other trains available for the passengers when it's cancelled (that reason does NOT apply, though, to a cancellation of the 06:19 Swindon - Westbury, where the next train does not run until 18:42)

If the 07:10 has been cancelled on average (say) once a week because it uses the "last drop squeezed from the depot", will the direct Newquay have a similar record, will cancellations be spread more evenly, or are trains less prone to fail in the very best of summer weather?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 12:25:16 »

If the 07:10 has been cancelled on average (say) once a week because it uses the "last drop squeezed from the depot", will the direct Newquay have a similar record, will cancellations be spread more evenly, or are trains less prone to fail in the very best of summer weather?
This service is very much on trial this summer and FGW (First Great Western) have really been promoting this service with some very attractive fares from London. If it doesn't get the passenger usage I can see it being dropped from next summer if FGW can put a case to Dft. As for how many it times it gets cancelled remains to be seen because its a scheduled service to Plymouth that runs throughout the year extended to Newquay in the summer. It could be that if things aren't running to plan it is more like to get terminated short of its destination rather than cancelled.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 22:49:23 »

Hi, I noticed ,

This train has probably been cancelled 4 out of 5 days a week. This is no exaggeration.

I regularly get the 06:56 or 07:30 service from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), and everyday I see the word CANCELLED on the electronic noticeboard for this train.

Interestingly, if an extra sevice is running from LPD to Newquay, will it be as reliable as the 0710 from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to LPD? If so, is there is any point in running this service?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 07:36:48 »

This train has probably been cancelled 4 out of 5 days a week. This is no exaggeration.

I regularly get the 06:56 or 07:30 service from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), and everyday I see the word CANCELLED on the electronic noticeboard for this train.
That is pretty much spot on, it hardly ever runs.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 08:08:36 »

The Newquay I belive will have this set stabled in London overnight, thus meaning there is no spare set for morning Cheltenham (0610 I belive) so that will be more likely to cancelation, unless they re-wirte the whole not to be canxed scripts

Cheers
Jim Smiley
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 15:32:25 »

Ive checked back and , believe it or not , this is exactly what Jacobs recommended.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
g4mby
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 19:22:11 »

That is pretty much spot on, it hardly ever runs.
...and has caused much amusement amongst my fellow commuters. Can't have done FGW (First Great Western)'s image any good though. Has this train now been taken out of the timetable? It doesn't seem to run and it's no longer shown as cancelled.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 21:47:34 »

Has this train now been taken out of the timetable? It doesn't seem to run and it's no longer shown as cancelled.

FGW (First Great Western) are not required to run it in July of August according to the service level agreement.   It was "an error" that it was left in certain timetables for that period; the train set is needed for the high summer Newquay service from Paddington.

Expect it back in September.

First are asking the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) if the can vary their committment from December and instead of running an extra train from Bristol to London between 07:00 and 07:30, they want to run an extra train between 06:30 and 07:30,  but without the current contract requirement for it to call at Parkway.  In other words, they want to run a train that's routed via Bath leaving Bristol in the half hour before 07:00

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 22:26:51 »

Another crazy idea from FGW (First Great Western).

BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) is more important that BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) for taking people to London in the morning. It needs the extra capacity.

If FGW want to run the train they should consider BPW-BTM-Bath-Chippenham-Swindon-Reading-London; it is not uncommon for 200+ passengers to get each train at BPW between 06:30-8:00.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 21:40:50 »

It seems that the 0540 Cheltenham Spa - London Paddington has taken the place of the 0710 Bristol Temple Meads - London Paddington as the prime candidate for cancellation in the mornings. Must please those punters who regularly use this service.
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 07:36:45 »

It used to be the spare set for that or the 0610 (can't remember) so 1 of them will indeed now face regular cancellation

Cheers
Jim Smiley
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 09:57:56 »

There were many dozen happy punters at Bristol Parkway this morning, 18/07/2007. The 0731 departure was running late and had its stop at Bristol Parkway 'pulled' and would run through to Paddington non stop. Many of these passengers are ones that were inconvenienced by the constant cancellation of the 07.10 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and then the withdrawal of the service so the PAD - NQY (Newquay (Station)) service coulf operate, now this. Next Paddington departure was at 0801 and it was inevitable that this would be standing room only. Well done FGW (First Great Western), living up to your unofficial name THE FARCE GROUP.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: