I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:21:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Cambridge Guided Busway - ongoing discussion and updates (merged topic)  (Read 97564 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 22:37:07 »

For interest the number of vehicles using the M6 Toll is falling significantly. I'm not surprised at ^4.70 each way (from this weekend). 

Good, so hopefully plans will be drawn up for tolls to be scrapped. Let toll roads remain in Europe where they belong!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 22:45:12 »

http://www.m6toll.co.uk/newsdetail.asp?id=94

if anyone is interested. At least the stats don't get published annually , over a year after the end of the period, as station footfall stats are.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 23:57:08 »

A view from a county councillor on the delay to the southern part of the scheme, the costs and the regrets that the rail option wasnt chosen instead (link below.)
http://geoffheathcock.mycouncillor.org.uk/2009/01/14/guided-bus-further-delays-are-slammed-as-project-runs-into-more-problems/

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 11:12:03 »

A view from a county councillor on the delay to the southern part of the scheme, the costs and the regrets that the rail option wasnt chosen instead (link below.)
http://geoffheathcock.mycouncillor.org.uk/2009/01/14/guided-bus-further-delays-are-slammed-as-project-runs-into-more-problems/
I suppose it's too much to expect the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about), SWRDA» (South West Regional Development Agency - about) and Bristol City Council to take note of these problems before they rush headlong into wasting millions on a similar fiasco for the Bristol area. Roll Eyes
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 00:28:20 »

They arent taking heed in my part of the world, with the first steps towards turning the disused Fareham-Gosport line (which formed part of a cancelled supertram scheme) into a Bus Rapid Transit route being taken (link below.)
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Transformation-on-track.4879730.jp

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 10:01:42 »

I have received this from Mark Ranger of CAST.IRON (see http://www.castiron.org.uk/) :

Quote from: Mark Ranger
The Cambridgeshire Guided Busway has been put back until around September 2009. They, apparently, have had some construction problems as a result of the wet winter (something to do with laying concrete onto a flooded fenland), the gas board have realised that a mains pipe running alongside the main route needs to be replaced/repaired and the underbridge by Cambridge station that will take the busway south towards Addenbrooke's Hospital has proven far more difficult to build than was anticipated. The contractors are also in dispute with the council regarding an overspend to budget projections.

The council's spokespeople have glibly suggested that this is not too much of a problem as the new development at Northstowe, which provided much of the rationale for the busway, is on hold at the moment.

Which won't come as much comfort to the thousands of people stuck on the A14 each day, whose journey will still be blighted. And of course once the busway is up and running, the impact on the A14 - at best - will be negligable.

It's nice to be able to sit back and take a 'I told you so' stance, but all of us at CAST.IRON find this very difficult to do, given the monumental waste of public money that is being spent on this ill thought out and politically motivated scheme, when our railway option, whilst not perfect, would have been up and running some time ago.

The key to all of this, from my personal opinion, is that a traffic project seems to have to tick boxes in order to get backed. Our scheme came along at the same time as a scheme (the guided busway) that had some very heavy government ink ticks on it, and nothing that we could say would get them to deviate from that.

Mark has registered as a member of the forum, and I look forward to reading his future contributions.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 20:44:17 »

Is there anyway now for this scheme to be scrapped?

It angers me - yet another perfectly good rail line being destroyed for good!
MarkRanger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 14:51:25 »

I am afraid the scheme will not be scrapped now. There is so much political capital (as well as taxpayers money) invested in this scheme, that there is no way they will let it go until such time as it comprehensively collapses.

I see now though that they are working on the northern station for Cambridge - another ^20m (www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn%5Fnews%5Fhome/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=389533)

The irony about this is that our (CAST.IRON's) plans to keep the railway would have offered much of what is now being proposed. Even after the go ahead was given for the so called misguided bus, we approached Network Rail to see about keeping the mainline connection at Chesterton Junction and running through to a small station by the Cambridge Science Park. But they made it quite clear that they had no interest - as usual, we seemed to be a thorn in their backside. After all, we were wanting to expand and improve the local rail services. Stupid idea eh?
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 17:04:40 »

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=393813

It seems the misguided busway has some use now, by criminals as a get away route.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 20:24:14 »

Who would have thought this dreadful plan would lead to a 23% increase in theft! Angry

I suppose another stat that will go up is vandalism - vandalism of a railway line. Cry
ngine2ner

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 20:35:21 »

Hi, I live in Cambridge and regard the Guided Busway as a missed opportunity to re-instate the rail services. Instead they have ripped up the track and replaced it with a concrete plank trackway. One ton of concrete is worth around 3,000 car miles and there are 15 of them in each plank. There are hundreds and hundreds of planks, probably several thousand. This is aa scheme that keeps re-stating its "green" credentials!

To answer a few questions -

Why do local authorities like them? - I don't know, there was no public opinion in favour of this - local people think it was someone's pet project.

Why is it important that vehicles can pass each other at speed - this was a throwaway line by those that don't understand trains - the line replaced was a single track line. Trains passed each other in stations, but then anyone who is over 50 doesn't really have to have this explained.

The sad thing is that the railway was never properly evaluated - it was bundled in with a non-optimal road scheme and the guided busway was bundled with the preferred road scheme, the rail and preferred road scheme were never evaluated together. Now the two schemes have been de-coupled - they are no longer interdependent - surprise surprise, Do I smell a rat? Yes.

Having said all that, I hope it is a success - it is the only hope of improving my local bus service.

Regards Norman
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 21:41:45 »

Welcome to the forum, Norman

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 21:42:29 »

Well, thanks for such an impassioned first post, Norman - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 00:09:29 »

They aren't taking heed in my part of the world, with the first steps towards turning the disused Fareham-Gosport line (which formed part of a cancelled supertram scheme) into a Bus Rapid Transit route being taken (link below.)
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome/Transformation-on-track.4879730.jp

While offering my apologies for resurrecting this rather old topic, I thought it worth mentioning this rather interesting development - from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Bats could halt bus expressway

Construction of a ^20m high-speed bus service in Hampshire could be halted if a High Court action is successful.

A judicial review has started into plans by Hampshire County Council to build a Fareham to Gosport expressway. The case has been brought by a resident who says the scheme to convert the disused railway is legally flawed.

Vivienne Morge believes bats, which are protected by law, use the route to "commute" to a nearby feeding area and an environmental assessment is needed.

The court was told a small colony of bats living in a house close to the site crosses the railway line to reach a feeding area in a nearby wood.

Damaging a bat colony is an offence under European law and the court must decide whether an assessment is necessary before work can continue.

Ms Morge, who lives alongside the railway line, also said she would suffer considerable disruption if the project went ahead.

The council has defended its actions. The case continues.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 16:24:41 »

Bats could halt bus expressway
Vivienne Morge believes bats, which are protected by law, use the route to "commute" to a nearby feeding area and an environmental assessment is needed.
The court was told a small colony of bats living in a house close to the site crosses the railway line to reach a feeding area in a nearby wood.

Nimby clutches at any straw she can reach... 

Edit: 

The inspector's report into the Reading remodelling seems to consider that without the support of the big wildlife agencies little credence will be paid to a single local complaint, If I'm reading it correctly...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/twa/ir/nr_reading_land_acquisition.pdf

Paul
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 16:42:03 by paul7755 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: