I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:38:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Cambridge Guided Busway - ongoing discussion and updates (merged topic)  (Read 97567 times)
MarkRanger

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2011, 12:39:04 »

Latest update for opening date - October 2011.

Do you have a source for this? - I can't find anything about it on the Cambridge Evening News website.

Sorry for the delayed reply - here is the source - http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/latest-news/cambs_guided_busway_still_unlikely_before_october_1_830085
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2011, 07:47:16 »

Busway update - Wednesday 27 April

Contractors BAM Nuttall have completed the Busway project and handed over the route to Cambridgeshire County Council. The handover took place on Thursday 21 April. (opens in new window)

The handover of the project is the first big step towards the route opening, but as defects must still be fixed an opening date is some way off.

BAM Nuttall has 28 days from the point of handover to fix the notified defects. If the work is not completed at the end of this period the Council will bring in new contractors charging the costs to BAM Nuttall. The Council is already priming new contractors to avoid delays.

At the beginning of May the Council will begin adding a blacktop surface to the cycleway between Swavesey and Milton Road, as well as surfacing the southern section. An additional junction to help access to the Clay Farm development ^ funded by developers ^ will also be carried out. These works were not part of BAM Nuttall's contract.

Further updates will be made available on these pages as the works progress.

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/thebusway/

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2011, 08:41:03 »

Seems to be scope for a couple of sweep stakes.

First: Opening date.
Second: How long will it stay open before it has to be closed for technical defects?
MarkRanger

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2011, 10:42:42 »

Seems to be scope for a couple of sweep stakes.

First: Opening date.
Second: How long will it stay open before it has to be closed for technical defects?

Third: How long before we can seriously get down to working how we lay railway tracks on top of the concrete
Fourth: How long before any politicians have the decency to confess that this was truly a bad idea and they wish they had have listened to the anoraks.
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2011, 16:40:26 »

Shocked Misguided busjokeway timetables now published by county council - evenings and Sundays, don`t be silly !!!!  Cry 

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2011, 23:21:37 »

I have been told early August but can't verfy my informants source.

Apparently itis been  suggested that the local tearaways will steal cars drive them onto the busway deliberately jam them in the track and then set fire to them. Probaly an urban myth in the making.

However, a more practicle question was raised how do you get broken down bus off the busway?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2011, 00:08:25 »

However, a more practicle question was raised how do you get broken down bus off the busway?

Perhaps they're going to fit the guided bus fleet with dellner couplings to allow working in multiple!  Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2011, 09:38:26 »

THere are exits every junction according to a local on UK (United Kingdom).rauilways
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2011, 11:19:29 »

...and for access for the bloke with a toolbox, there's a continuous roadway along the length of the busway - which doubles as a cycle track.

I wonder if the benefits (if any) of the 'guided' feature is actually worth the additional cost over a normal dedicated two lane road, as is being used on the Fareham - Gosport 'busway'. 

Breakdowns on the latter are presumably going to be much easier to deal with; there's an agreement that it can be used by emergency services such as ambulances, and the only deadlines being missed are due to random objections from the nimby faction...

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2011, 17:38:42 »

With towing, "the process takes between 5 and 10 minutes", and

"Unlike rail, where a breakdown disrupts the entire line and causes long delays for other trains, guided buses can be immediately diverted around the section where a bus is being recovered which means only a few minutes delay for passengers. "

More at:

http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/CMSWebsite/Apps/News/Details.aspx?ref=98

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2011, 17:58:01 »

There was a bit of a 'Blue Peter' aspect to that though - did the defective bus just happen to fail behind a tow truck they'd prepared earlier!    Huh 

Does that time given include reversing the tow truck along the guideway?  I can't actually see that being very easy, unless I'm missing something significant about the truck.  Maybe it can turn round when it reaches the bus if it carries an underslung turntable or something with it...

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2011, 19:15:00 »

The published timetables show a bus every 10 minutes (every 20 minutes on some sections) on Monday to Saturday, and hourly on Sunday. Plus one extra bus an hour (Monday to Saturday) and every 2 or 3 hours (Sunday).   Journey time along the busway is scheduled to be 20 minutes, so it's probable that if there's a failure, the following bus will be a long way back and will simply be able to take to normal roads at one of the crossings along the way.  Presumably, the drivers will be in touch with base by some sort of radio so that the following bus doesn't get caught behind?

I understand that a second operator - Whippet - will also be providing services, but I've not seen details.  I can't imagine that there buses will bring the initial usage up to levels where there will be several buses in the same section at the same time, unless the competition factors have one running just ahead of the other as buses do in the town I live in (2 an hour - 3 and 6 minutes past, then a 57 minute gap)

mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2011, 19:27:41 »

I'm a bit surprised by the frequency- only every 20 mins on the rail station to Trumpington P&R (Park and Ride) and hospital section. I think I'd got a impression from earlier publicity they would be more frequent than that...?
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2011, 18:23:05 »

Wink Better late than never ? It finally opened yesterday !
.............. and passengers comments on BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Look East : "rough ride" and "running 20 mins late"  Grin oh  dear !! 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 18:50:45 by sleepy » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2011, 07:39:31 »

I'm in Cambridge at the moment ... had a chance to have a look at how it's bedding in yesterday ... see how well the buses were loaded.

http://wellho.info/3404

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: