Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:14:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western management team  (Read 146089 times)
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2010, 22:23:36 »

The managerial structure has been changed yet again in FGW (First Great Western) land.

At PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) for example we now have a General Manager (a woman called claire), then a regional manager east (shaun mcbroom) and some other side managers who I dont know yet.

I suspect the same will be true of central, west and north.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2010, 07:29:40 »

No he's not
Care to tell us what he is then?  Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 16:41:30 »

At PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) for example we now have a General Manager (a woman called claire), then a regional manager east (shaun mcbroom)

Sean McBroom who was SM at Reading (he's still on the posters there) & Claire Mann.

I suspect the same will be true of central, west and north.

Correct, except there isn't any North. Just East, Central & West.
the void

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 13:10:45 »

Ok, so here's how it works...

Previously there was a Head of Sations, with three Area Managers (West, Central & East) reporting directly to him, with the Stations Managers reporting to their relevant Area Manager. In an ill-advised re-org, the Area Managers were removed and the Station Managers all reported directly to the Head of Stations. The Head of Stations suddenly realised he had 18 direct reports, rather than the previous three and that it simply wasn't workable, so some Station Managers were rebranded 'Senior Station Managers' simply to reduce the number of direct reports to the Head of Stations. But this caused more problems as the egos of the 'Senior' managers were inflated into believing they were 'Area Managers' but they weren't. Time for another re-org...
This time it was the Head of Stations position that was removed. Three new General Managers were created for each region - David Crome in the West, Steve Tyler in Central and Claire Mann in the East. The General Managers are responsible for everything in their region and reporting to them are the new area managers for stations, guards, drivers etc. The station area managers are known as Retail Managers, but they are essentially the same as the old station Area Managers. The three regional Retail Managers are - Lee Edworthy in the West, Mike Holmes in Central and Sean McBroom in the East. They are resonsible for all things station within their region and the Station Managers report to them. The current Station Manager at Temple Meads (and outstations) is Glyn Beck. Glyn reports to Mike, who reports to Steve. Simples.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 13:18:06 »

So, having gone from removing one layer of management (the old Area Managers), they hasve now managed to ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) a layer (the General Managers) - am I right?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 13:22:34 »

Thanks for that very useful explanation, the void - and welcome to the Coffee Shop forum!  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 13:23:45 »

Thank you for that comprehensive explanation, the void, and a very warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.   Smiley

I asked Glyn Beck the other day what role Mike Holmes now had and he said he was an Area Manager! Retail Manager seems an odd choice of name.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 13:28:52 »

So, having gone from removing one layer of management (the old Area Managers), they hasve now managed to ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) a layer (the General Managers) - am I right?
Sort of, except there is now no head of stations role. So the General Manager is in charge of there own area.
In all honesty I've not actually met my general manager, so no idea how involved they get.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 18:11:01 »

From FirstGroup's corporate website:

FirstGroup has appointed Richard Parry to its rail bid team. Richard joins FirstGroup from Transport for London (TfL» (Transport for London - about)) where he worked for 19 years in a range of senior roles, most recently as Deputy Managing Director and Director of Strategy and Commercial for TfL^s London Underground and Rail divisions. Richard has a outstanding record of leadership and delivery with a strong focus on customer service and considerable experience of engaging with a diverse range of stakeholders which will be invaluable in his new role heading the Group's bid for the InterCity West Coast franchise.

Commenting on the appointment Vernon Barker, Managing Director UK (United Kingdom) Rail, said:

"I am delighted to have attracted someone of Richard's talent and calibre to the Group. The wealth of experience that he brings will be invaluable as we seek to build on our market leadership position in rail and progress the opportunities created by the Department for Transport^s new franchising programme."

Commenting, Richard Parry said:

"As the UK's largest rail operator FirstGroup has unrivalled experience of operating different types of franchises. I am very pleased to be joining the team and look forward to leading the Group's bid for the InterCity West Coast franchise."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 02:45:52 »

It would appear that there are 8 people in these senior positions
http://www.joinusonthejourney.co.uk/NonCmsPages/our_structure_mark.htm

That list is severely out of date. James Burt left FGW (First Great Western) in September 2009. Neil Mickelthwaite left in 2010 and Matthew Golton is now apparently back as Bid Director rather than Projects Director, at least according to his LinkedIn profile.

However the two people most likely to hold the 'safety case' are still in position.

The current list of directors can be seen here:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Our-business/Our-executive-team

And even the list I found may be out of date.  Embarrassed

The previous issue of RAIL magazine (714) reports that FGW Operations Director, Kevin Gale, has been placed on 'gardening leave'. It doesn't expand further as to reasons. Just a three sentence article toward the back of RAIL that I missed on first reading, but one that may be of some significance.

Purely supposition on my part, but I wonder if he is jumping ship to another TOC (Train Operating Company) or has been head-hunted by DOR? 'Gardening/Garden leave' is a euphemism most often used when a company requires an employee to see out a period of notice, but neither wants them to continue doing their current job or to immediately start work in their new job. Especially if they are leaving to join a competitor....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:59:00 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
brizzlechris

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 09:49:33 »

It would appear that there are 8 people in these senior positions
http://www.joinusonthejourney.co.uk/NonCmsPages/our_structure_mark.htm

That list is severely out of date. James Burt left FGW (First Great Western) in September 2009. Neil Mickelthwaite left in 2010 and Matthew Golton is now apparently back as Bid Director rather than Projects Director, at least according to his LinkedIn profile.

However the two people most likely to hold the 'safety case' are still in position.

The current list of directors can be seen here:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Our-business/Our-executive-team

And even the list I found may be out of date.  Embarrassed

The previous issue of RAIL magazine (714) reports that FGW Operations Director, Kevin Gale, has been placed on 'gardening leave'. It doesn't expand further as to reasons. Just a three sentence article toward the back of RAIL that I missed on first reading, but one that may be of some significance.

Purely supposition on my part, but I wonder if he is jumping ship to another TOC (Train Operating Company) or has been head-hunted by DOR? 'Gardening/Garden leave' is a euphemism most often used when a company requires an employee to see out a period of notice, but neither wants them to continue doing their current job or to immediately start work in their new job. Especially if they are leaving to join a competitor....
This is Wiltshire had this report at the beginning of the year...

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/10142619.Has_rail_boss_lost_job_over_the_travel_chaos_/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 11:57:33 »

Confirmation today that Kevin Gale has left FGW (First Great Western)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2013, 12:07:57 »

Can we ask where this confirmation has come from?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 12:22:29 »

Staff Nerwsletter - FastLine
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 18:39:41 »

Thanks for that update, ChrisB: I've taken the opportunity to merge three topics here, purely in the interests of continuity and ease of future reference.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: