Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:04:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: First Great Western management team  (Read 145985 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2007, 18:29:26 »

Here they are (taken from the link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=6

The team at First Great Western is led by:

Alison Forster - Managing Director
Glenda Lamont - Customer Services Director
Tom Stables - Commercial Director
Ben Caswell - Finance Director
Graham Boot-Handford - Engineering Director
Kevin Gale - Trains Director
Dawn Murphy - Interim Director of Human Resources
Richard Campbell - Interim Marketing Director
Sir Chay Blyth CBE BEM - Non Executive Chairman

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 11:16:16 »

I've seen "Dean Finch" mentioned and copied on correspondence. Where does he fit in?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:53:33 »

Here is a link with details of FirstGroup's board , which includes Dean Finch , who is Finance Director.
http://www.firstgroup.com/corpfirst/investor/board.php

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
duncanhames

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 18:20:00 »

I saw both Glenda Lamont and Andrew Griffiths at the Bradford on Avon 150th celebrations today.
She gave a short speech, promising re-furbished trains and a new waiting room with disabled access to the Bath-bound side of the station, she also remarked on how nice it was at this time to meet a crowd of smiling faces!
When I arrived, Andrew Griffiths (should be added to the list above) was being hand-bagged chastised by a Bradford lady for his 'glib' and 'dismissive' remarks on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) during the More Train Less Strain protest about how standing on trains is something people have to expect these days. I pointed out to him that being put onto coaches because you can't even board the trains is rather more serious, but he claimed that sort of thing should now be over... so that's all right then?!
Duncan
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 18:28:49 »

Andrew Griffiths (should be added to the list above)

Good point , Duncan. Andrew Griffiths is Regional Manager of the First Great Western Severn & Solent area , for those who didnt know already.

Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 15:56:16 »

. I pointed out to him that being put onto coaches because you can't even board the trains is rather more serious, but he claimed that sort of thing should now be over... so that's all right then?!
Duncan

Yes, I have been rather disapoiuinted to see the need to have TWO coaches on Stand-by at Trowbridge

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
SusanW

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 12:52:02 »

Another important bod is Moir Lockhead, head of FirstGroup, as you've mentioned before - if you copy him in on any complaints or communication with FGW (First Great Western) it makes things speed up a little at FGW! For e-mail addresses they are all:

firstname.surname@firstgroup.com

but don't expect direct replies.

Susan
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 19:49:14 »

I have heard that Mike Carroll has returned or is returning to FGW (First Great Western) as route director for the Thames Valley area.

For those who dont know who Mike Carroll is he was the MD of FGW before the present incumbent and her predessesor Chris Kitchen-Smith.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 22:51:22 »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/Story/0,,2164195,00.html

At last some big rail news on what has been a fairly quiet week.

Report in today's Guardian on quite a major reorganisation of management at FGW (First Great Western) by Firstgroup. Long overdue in my opinion. Don't fret though as Alison still gets to play with her beloved HSTs (High Speed Train) but hands day to day control of the problem parts of the franchise namely ex-Thames and Wessex franchises to others to sort out. Good to see Mike Carroll back at GW (Great Western). All goes to show that First were way to ambitious in thinking they could easily merge three franchises into one under one managing director. Wonder if the first thing to happen would be for Thames and Wessex operations to move out of Swindon? I doubt it but you never know.

The most interesting move by First is the taking FGW under its wing along with its other rail franchises. Previously FGW was the only franchise run independently of First central control which shows at last they are taking things going on down here seriously.

These are only the highlights. There are also changes on the Western region of Network rail so the article is well worth a read. Lets see if any of these changes make any difference to services in the coming months. May be one reason why we are still to see any draft timetables for December making an appearance.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 04:15:53 »

Someones woken up at last :-

I broke the news of Mike Carroll's return to FGW (First Great Western) in the post on July 20th as the link below shows.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=447.0
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 09:34:39 by martyjon » Logged
Rugrat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 12:27:14 »

Alison will be giving a presentation at the Passenger Focus meeting in the Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel on the afternoon of Tuesday, 11 September. See the agenda at http://www.passengerfocus.org.uk/news-and-publications/document-search/default.asp?keywords=&topic=&year=&type=592&sdocsearch.x=15&sdocsearch.y=4
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 16:05:39 »

Here is a further view on the shake - up (link below.)
http://ihatefirstgreatwestern.blogspot.com/2007/09/all-change-at-top.html

12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 23:42:54 »

. Good to see Mike Carroll back at GW (Great Western).

Never really left though. He was MD of FirstInfo which is the call centre at Plymouth.

The most interesting move by First is the taking FGW (First Great Western) under its wing along with its other rail franchises. Previously FGW was the only franchise run independently of First central control which shows at last they are taking things going on down here seriously.

Senior Management have always had to Answer to the First head of rail. Not much change there then except two more senior managers to oversee the operation!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 08:06:03 »

Under the new arrangements at FGW (First Great Western), Andrew Haines is the Chief Operating Officer while maintaining responsibility for First's Rail Group as well "one busy man".

Three new roles / appointments - route directors who will "Champion routes / act as lightning conductors, anticipating and reacting to issues before they surface".

John Curley - West
Mike Carroll - London and Thames Valley
t.b.a. - High Speed Services

These roles are being initially filled by very senior people to establish the positions and see how they go; the initial appointments are not seen as long term. I understand that it was John Curley who set up the hourly Cardiff - Portsmouth in the first place.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 18:07:44 »

I understand that it was John Curley who set up the hourly Cardiff - Portsmouth in the first place.
I remember it well, May 1988 when we said farewell to the 33s and Mk1 coaching stock with 155s taking over under the EXPRESS branding 'to compliment the existing IC (Inter City) network'. 155s lasted about 3-4 years before they were split to become 153s and 158s taking over the route. At the time it was real investment on the route. I think its long overdue for some new investment not just tarting up the existing 158s.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: