Delayed
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 18:12:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[270] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[87] "Mayflower"
[77] You see all sorts on the bus.
[49] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line
[41] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[38] Where have I been?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Renewing season tickets in advance  (Read 5187 times)
ESP

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2007, 12:13:00 »

On Wednesday, 20th June I tried to renew a monthly season ticket that would need to start on Monday, 25th June.

I was told that I could not get a new season ticket to start on Monday, 25th June until midday on Friday, 22nd June at the earliest. 

I was only trying to get the ticket in advance to save time as I was going to be away on the intervening dates and I didn't want to leave it until Monday morning (as I am already pushed enough for time in the morning).

I'm sure in the past I have bought season tickets in advance with no problems.

Is this a new "rule" and if so does anybody know the reasoning behind it?
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 15:28:07 »

I too have experienced this. The reason given was that conductors doing a visual inspection of season tickets generally only look at the expiry date. So if you buy a ticket this Wednesday to start next Monday, you could potentially get away with using it this Thursday and Friday. Now given that most of us wouldn't think of doing anything dodgy like that, booking clerks used to bend this "rule" frequently. I am told, however, that some of the new generation of ticket machines enforce the rules rigidly, with no over-ride available.
whistleblower

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 16:33:08 »

The new generation on-board Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) machines that have been introduced have this built in to the software.  We haven't officially been instructed not to sell them early, the new machines won't let us.  We assume it is for the reason stated by BandHcommuter - to close a loophole.  By the way, if you ask a conductor for an advance purchase and it is after midday the previous day and he tells you that the machine will not issue it, remind him that it has to be done through the Tertiary/seasons menu and not the Fares menu.  Of course you won't remember that because I didn't yesterday when somebody asked me and they will have had to queue at the ticket office the next morning.  If you are that person and are reading this I am very very sorry and I will definitely remember next time Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 17:26:36 »

I too have experienced this. The reason given was that conductors doing a visual inspection of season tickets generally only look at the expiry date. So if you buy a ticket this Wednesday to start next Monday, you could potentially get away with using it this Thursday and Friday. Now given that most of us wouldn't think of doing anything dodgy like that, booking clerks used to bend this "rule" frequently. I am told, however, that some of the new generation of ticket machines enforce the rules rigidly, with no over-ride available.

I can understand that ... and no doubt you're right. Yet the question was renewal, so if you're looking to cheat the system what are you going to do - buy the new ticket then give the old one to a fellow traveller so he can use it for the final day or two?    I guess giving staff machines that cannot sell the seasons early avoids any arguments ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
BandHcommuter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 23:04:24 »

I can understand that ... and no doubt you're right.

Not necessarily, I am just reporting what ticket sales staff have told me!

Yet the question was renewal, so if you're looking to cheat the system what are you going to do - buy the new ticket then give the old one to a fellow traveller so he can use it for the final day or two?    I guess giving staff machines that cannot sell the seasons early avoids any arguments ....

My renewals don't always follow on immediately from the old one, especially if I'm away for a couple of days. I can see why the railway might consider that there is potential for ticket fraud - but I would prefer them to give the discretion back to the staff.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 20:26:47 »

If you ask for season ticket to start a few days after the expiry of previous ticket, that is not a renewal.
Also if you are a weekly season ticket holder it is possible to do previous Friday to start on Monday. Other times it is only day before after 12pm.
Month and upwards can renew 7days before expiry of existing.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: