I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningShort Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:14:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ivor the Engine (merged topics)  (Read 4273 times)
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:04:55 »

Sadly, Oliver Postgate, creator of Ivor and the Grumbly Gasworks Railway, (plus so much more quality kids' TV), has passed away.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7772620.stm

R.I.P.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:03:15 »

Those of you with Children might like to know that there is an Ivor DVD available.  My 2 year old loves it.  I love the way that they never turn Ivor round when the track-layout would make it impossible (so he travels backwards almost as much as he goes forward).  Peter Firmin obviously draw a map of the brachline before startingthe animation, so you always pass the same landmarks for a given journey. (and it is much more "Welsh" than I remember as a kid)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 22:21:41 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Cartoon favourite Ivor the Engine is being brought back to life in a new book, 50 years after first appearing on television.

The book, which will raise money for charity, has been written by the son of the late Oliver Postgate, who wrote the original Ivor stories. It will be illustrated by Peter Firmin, the original illustrator.

The last full length story of the Welsh engine and his driver, Jones The Steam, was made in 1977.

Postgate, who died last year, and Firmin were also behind other children's' favourites including Bagpuss, Noggin the Nog and The Clangers.

Dan Postgate said: "I was a bit daunted by the prospect of slipping into my dad's Hush Puppies and composing a new story. I hope I've managed to summon up some of the flavour of the original Ivor tales. It was certainly a real thrill to get the stamp of authenticity by having my story illustrated by Peter Firmin."

The cartoon and its tales of Dai Station and Idris the Dragon first appeared on television in 1959 and was then revamped in the mid-1970s.

The new book, Bluebell's Christmas Mission, is set in a snowy Wales on Christmas Day and will aid UK (United Kingdom) veterinary charity Society for the Protection of Animals Abroad. The story features Bluebell the donkey.

Firmin and his daughter Emily, after whom Emily in Bagpuss is named, visited the charity's projects in Morocco earlier this year. He said: "I hope this little book helps the important work they do for both working animals and the people who depend on them."

The charity's chief executive, Jeremy Hulme, said: "We were absolutely delighted when Peter and Dan agreed to fire up Ivor once again and it's been a real privilege to be part of this project. We didn't know if it would ever happen initially but Peter was very keen to support our work, and his gorgeous illustrations and Dan's wonderful little story have combined to create something that all Ivor fans, young and old, will treasure."

Ivor reappeared on Welsh TV screens in 2004 to promote the former BBC Wales digital channel 2W.

In 2003, Ivor the Engine was voted number 18 in the first stage of a poll to find the top 100 Welsh Heroes sponsored by the assembly government.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:09:32 »

Anyone know where I would buy a copy for an Ivor fan in our house?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 17:03:04 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

1960s' Ivor the Engine episodes unearthed in Kent

A collection of Ivor the Engine episodes which have not been seen since the 1960s have been unearthed in Kent.

The 24 reels were found at the back of the converted pigshed in Blean, Kent, where Peter Firmin and Oliver Postgate created their much-loved films.

Postgate, who died in 2008, and Firmin were also behind other favourites including Bagpuss and The Clangers.

Postgate's son, Dan, said the episodes could be released once they had been converted into a digital format. He said the black and white episodes were discovered by an agency that was digitising his father's old films.

Mr Postgate added: "My dad stored some of the old 16mm film in cans in an outbuilding on Peter Firmin's farm. They were stacked at the back of the shed in a store area. Kaleidoscope took away the cans and reported back that there were a lot of old black and white Ivor the Engine episodes. They haven't been seen since 1969. Most were remade in colour later but these are the raw originals."

He said: "They will be of interest to a certain number of people as they have a particular wistful quality to them."

The last full length story of the Welsh engine and his driver, Jones The Steam, was made in 1977.

The cartoon and its tales of Dai Station and Idris the Dragon first appeared on television in 1959 and was then revamped in the mid-1970s.

Ivor reappeared on Welsh TV screens in 2004 to promote the former BBC Wales digital channel 2W.

In December 2009 Mr Postgate announced that he planned to write a new Ivor the Engine story to raise money for charity.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: