Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:04:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: More distorted ticket prices  (Read 7417 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 10, 2008, 05:03:04 »

We are unable to fulfil the tickets for this particular journey, as either the ticket cannot be posted in time or the departure station does not offer a collection facility.

That's from the FGW (First Great Western) ticket site.

Something I wondered about this morning ... if a T.O.C. chooses not to have an appropriate ticket machine at [station in question], why can't the advanced ticket be issued by the train manager?  They're electronically connected, after all, so there isn't a technology problem. Perhaps it's a way of pricing passengers away from the smaller station?

Going on line at the moment, and checking fares.   I can get a 37 SWI» (Swindon - next trains) - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) return going on the next available train and coming back at lunch time.  Or I can pay 133 for MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) - PAD going on the next available train and coming back on the first train after lunch.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:29:04 »

1) because TM(resolve) are too busy; and 2) because it would be seen as undermining the "buy before your board message".

The solution would be to allow you to print your own tickets at home.  I know that there are issues with forgery, but there are ways around this (afterall the Royal Mail lets you print your own stamps and can check to see if they are genuine)
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:35:26 »

The solution would be to allow you to print your own tickets at home.  I know that there are issues with forgery, but there are ways around this (afterall the Royal Mail lets you print your own stamps and can check to see if they are genuine)
Like this ticket I printed before leaving for India:

Passenger no 1 has to have the ID card with the stated number, otherwise the ticket is not valid. In Britain, as guards have credit card terminals, it should be sufficient to carry the card used to buy the ticket online.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:23:42 »

Something I wondered about this morning ... if a T.O.C. chooses not to have an appropriate ticket machine at [station in question], why can't the advanced ticket be issued by the train manager?  They're electronically connected, after all, so there isn't a technology problem. Perhaps it's a way of pricing passengers away from the smaller station?

[/quote]
No they are not electrically connected so the train manager would not be able to issue the ticket.  Something for the future perhaps but there would be a cost to develop the software / hardware
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 11:40:06 »

Going on line at the moment, and checking fares.   I can get a 37 SWI» (Swindon - next trains) - PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) return going on the next available train and coming back at lunch time.  Or I can pay 133 for MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains) - PAD going on the next available train and coming back on the first train after lunch.

My advice would be to purchase a Chippenham -> Paddington ticket (and appropriate return) online and collect them in advance at Chippenham station.

I've quite often sat on the 6:45 pm train from Swindon to Melksham, shown the TM(resolve) my return ticket covering me for U1 to Chippenham and explained I'll need a ticket to cover me for the missing part of the journey from Chippenham to Melksham, only for him to smile back and say "that's OK mate, don't worry about it".

On the odd occasion I've been together enough to collect tickets in advance from Chippenham (say for example if I am travelling to London on Tuesday and Thursday, I will collect the Thursday tickets on arrival at Chippenham the previous Tuesday), and got on the morning train up to Swindon from Melksham, the same thing has happened: show the TM my pre-purchased ticket covering me for a return from Chippenham to Paddington, say I need a ticket to Chippenham, and he or she has usually (not always) let me off the Melksham-Chippenham part of the journey.

Really kind of them to do that, and probably completely against regulations, but it's always nice to be on the receiving end of a little goodwill, especially in this day and age.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 13:08:10 »

You think thats bad. FGW (First Great Western) wanted ^272 for an anytime return for 2 adults from BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains) > paddington for next week,

I think not.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 14:49:20 »

My advice would be to purchase a Chippenham -> Paddington ticket (and appropriate return) online and collect them in advance at Chippenham station.

I've quite often sat on the 6:45 pm train from Swindon to Melksham, shown the TM(resolve) my return ticket covering me for U1 to Chippenham and explained I'll need a ticket to cover me for the missing part of the journey from Chippenham to Melksham, only for him to smile back and say "that's OK mate, don't worry about it".

On the odd occasion I've been together enough to collect tickets in advance from Chippenham (say for example if I am travelling to London on Tuesday and Thursday, I will collect the Thursday tickets on arrival at Chippenham the previous Tuesday), and got on the morning train up to Swindon from Melksham, the same thing has happened: show the TM my pre-purchased ticket covering me for a return from Chippenham to Paddington, say I need a ticket to Chippenham, and he or she has usually (not always) let me off the Melksham-Chippenham part of the journey.

Really kind of them to do that, and probably completely against regulations, but it's always nice to be on the receiving end of a little goodwill, especially in this day and age.

Agree re goodwill, but it won't do anything for the footfall count at Melksham.
basset44

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 17:33:54 »

Yes,

I had to change my advance ticket just before I went and had to pay for a new ticket at the station, could not get a refund or pay extra because it was advanced ticket.

Just travelled on DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) with advance ticket printed with Bar Code and show credit card and because there were no decent fares for London travelling after 9.25 from Cardiff returning about 6.30 on a Monday used Megabus from Cardiff for 24 pounds for 2 people printed at my printer will be using this in future can at least book a couple of buses and still not pay the cost I lost through being unable to change a ticket.

Basset
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 00:27:47 »

Yes,

I had to change my advance ticket just before I went and had to pay for a new ticket at the station, could not get a refund or pay extra because it was advanced ticket.

Just travelled on DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) with advance ticket printed with Bar Code and show credit card and because there were no decent fares for London travelling after 9.25 from Cardiff returning about 6.30 on a Monday used Megabus from Cardiff for 24 pounds for 2 people printed at my printer will be using this in future can at least book a couple of buses and still not pay the cost I lost through being unable to change a ticket.

Basset
It's made clear when you buy an Advance ticket that there are no refunds or changes.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:01:09 »

Yes,

Basset
It's made clear when you buy an Advance ticket that there are no refunds or changes.

I don't think it IS clear to everyone.  I don't think the conditions are as widely known we sometimes think.  I know the conditions appear on the website when you book, but not everyone reads this (even though they should) When you buy an airline ticket or book a hotel room online the ticket/recipt has pages of terms and conditions.  If you book an advanced ticket on line, the bit that arrives through the post does not say "non-refundanble, non-exchangable, if you travel on another train you will need to buy a new ticket before you board" anywhere does it?  I happen to think that it ought to.  Anything that reduced teh number of people breaking the rules and getting into conflict as a result must be a good thing
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 16:16:02 »

The ticket says to be used only with reservations. Do some people really suffer from a complete lack of common sense?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 22:35:34 »

The ticket says to be used only with reservations. Do some people really suffer from a complete lack of common sense?

Fraid so, that's why it's much easier to run a freight train.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 00:20:22 »

When you buy it at a station you get a little card with it explaining the terms, and like you say, when you buy it online you agree to it by ticking the box, i've got no sympathy for people who can't be arsed to read the small print!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 09:34:40 »

When you buy it at a station you get a little card with it explaining the terms, and like you say, when you buy it online you agree to it by ticking the box, i've got no sympathy for people who can't be arsed to read the small print!

A little harsh I think the railways don't help with the complicated fare structure and ticket types.

When you buy a plane ticket or a theartre ticket it is pretty obvious that it is for a particular flight or performance. With plane tickets it usually states if it can be changed and what cost.

Rail sells tickets for anytrain, trains after certain times of day (sometimes with restrictions on return travel  as well) and tickets for particular trains. The latter causing the most trouble, like the post on here about the lady from Manchester who caught the train before after asking staff. With a half hourly service this is likely to happen if the passssenger asks the next train to London assumming theirs is next. It will be interesting to see how Virgin get on with a 20 minute service to Birmingham. After all you don't get a 20 minute service with flights.

Also the differential between the cheapest and anytime tickets is too wide which also exacerbates the problem if someone boards the wrong train.  In many cases you can buy two advanced tickets for conceutative trains cheaper than an anytime ticket, so if you're not sure what train you might catch this could be a cheaper option.

inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 12:58:01 »

I think that was part of the rationale behind bringing all of the advance-purchase tickets under a common branding with a common name: at least now passengers aren't faced with a whole different array of silly ticket names. The NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) website (and no doubt those of the TOCs (Train Operating Company)) clearly state that Advance tickets are available only on the date and trains booked. And it's also printed on the front of them: tickets issued using STAR or similar systems have "booked train only" in the validity section, and I think TRIBUTE-issued tickets have a line of similar text (although these seem to be dying out).

But then again, long experience teaches me that people don't read their tickets, never mind the terms and conditions!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: