Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 25 Apr 2024
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:47:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New faster North to South Wales Service  (Read 15720 times)
Jez

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2008, 21:55:23 »

This new "fast" service started today - it will get you from Holyhead to Cardiff in less than 4.5 hours and from Bangor to Cardiff in less than 4 hours.

1 train per day in each direction.

0532 from Holyhead (calling at Bangor, Llandudno Junction, Rhyl, Flint, Chester, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Newport and Cardiff Central)

1617 from Cardiff Central (calling at Newport, Cwmbran, Abergavenny, Shrewsbury, Crewe, Chester, Flint, Rhyl, Llandudno Junction, Bangor and Holyhead)

There is also First Class available which, as far as I know, is a first for an ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) service.

IMO (in my opinion) they really need a fast South to North Wales service, I would like to see this service become 2 hourly, with the slower service the other hour that would call at smaller stations (Pontypool and New Inn etc).
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 00:24:52 »

Without a significant investment from the Welsh Assembly, the dream of a fast direct connection between North and South Wales will never happen.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:35:39 »

They've just committed ^20m to dualling the Wrexham to Chester line, which is a good start.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:11:23 »

Plus it's never going to be able to compete with a 50 minute flight from cardiff to anglesey.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 11:12:44 »

Plus it's never going to be able to compete with a 50 minute flight from cardiff to anglesey.

It will from places like Chester and Wrexam which are not that close to Anglesey.

50 minute flight + 1 hr check in + 1 hr to get to Cardiff +! hour to get to Anglesey = 4 hrs - its quicker by train for loads of potential passengers. 
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 14:11:54 »

The return ran about 25 minutes late last night!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 16:35:12 »

What proportion of the distance this trains runs is in England?  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 18:38:10 »

One of the problems in Wales is that North and South Wales are economically separate.

Whilst both areas need rail improvements, both locally and to neighbouring parts of England; a frequent stopping service from North to South, via Chester/Shrewsbury/Hereford is viable, it is unlikely if an express route from North to South will ever be viable.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 18:41:41 »

Probably more beneficial if it went to Manchester!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 19:14:18 »

What proportion of the distance this trains runs is in England?  Wink

Rough mileages are about 40 miles in Wales from Cardiff to the border north of Abergavenny, then 115 miles in England from the border up to Chester via Crewe, then 80 miles back in Wales from just west of Chester to Holyhead, so about a 50-50 split.

Daylight pictures of the repainted Class 57s and reliveried coaches are now at http://www.nwrail.org.uk/ in the noticeboard section.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 19:32:18 »

How can the train run fast between Newport and Shrewsbury and not get held up by other trains?

And I have always found it funny how many of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s main routes/destinations are in England (trains to Manchester, Birmingham, Shrewsbury, Hereford etc.)!

I wonder what the loading was like?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 19:52:12 »

How can the train run fast between Newport and Shrewsbury and not get held up by other trains?

And I have always found it funny how many of ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s main routes/destinations are in England (trains to Manchester, Birmingham, Shrewsbury, Hereford etc.)!

I wonder what the loading was like?

Good timetable planning. The morning train leaves Shrewsbury 25 minutes behind a stopping train, is 10 minutes behind it at Newport and five minutes behind into Cardiff. This pretty much applies in reverse for the return train, though this fits in an Abergavenny stop as well, so is about 15 minutes behind into Shrewsbury.

Not that this really mattered this morning, as the southbound service was cancelled, because of over-running engineering work. A nice short empty-stock positioning run needed there then...
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 21:15:11 »

Yes, it all seems to have gone a bit pear-shaped this morning: see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7785511.stm  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 20:14:16 »

They used to run an additional service from Cardiff to Abergavenny (calling at Newport, Cwmbran and Pontypool and New Inn) at around 1606 however I see this is no longer running probabaly due to the new 1617 service which seems to be calling at Cwmbran and Abergavenny on the return journey.  The 1550 service is also calling additionally at Pontypool.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 08:56:27 »

Interestingly, ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) is now consulting on a direct Aberystwyth to London Marylebone service of 2 trains a day. They are quoted:-

Mike Bagshaw of Arriva Trains said he was delighted to announce "exciting" further plans for the Cambrian line route.

He added: "Market research and our own knowledge of the local market, has shown that there is a strong customer demand for a comfortable and reasonably priced direct service between mid Wales and London, avoiding the need to change trains in Birmingham.

Or maybe the experience of W&S (Wrexham and Shropshire (Open Access Operator)), who ATW resisted at every stage.

I wonder how W&S will react to this? In theory, an extra 2 trains a day if timed correctly could be a major enhancement to the service from Shropshire to Marylebone. But only if interavailability of tickets is arranged, which could then threaten W&S revenue.

I woulod have thought it much more natural for W&S themselves to operate the service.     
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: