27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 06:32:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas and Boxing Day trains - ongoing discussion  (Read 119002 times)
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 21:48:49 »

The murmurings over the validity of a Boxing Day service have slowly increased over the years. I know that FGW (First Great Western) would like to provide a service as there is money to be had from people travelling to sports events, Boxing Day sales, and wanting to get home from a Christmas break. I could see a limited service working quite well over time.

The recent failed driver harmonisation package did include provision to mean drivers would be obliged to work Boxing Day (at an enhanced rate), so it's clearly on the agenda.

Not sure what the position is regarding the restructuring at the moment, but I can tell you that a great many drivers saw through the ruse in the Harmonisation package that allowed for Xmas day / Boxing day working and this influenced a great many of them to vote no. Even running trains on Boxing day could prove to be highly unpopular.

Trundling gently round the SW
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 22:11:22 »

This once again demonstrates the problem of having a franchise.  Times are changing and there may be a case of having a service on at least Boxing day.  However the franchise has been signed on the basis of no service on these two days.  If you want a service on these days it will cost more money in subsidy and would require negotiation with the government giving more money out. (Which they will not want to be seen doing)

AIUI (as I understand it) the next round of franchises will have a boxing day service included so in the years to come we may see some changes.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 22:13:08 »

The murmurings over the validity of a Boxing Day service have slowly increased over the years. I know that FGW (First Great Western) would like to provide a service as there is money to be had from people travelling to sports events, Boxing Day sales, and wanting to get home from a Christmas break. I could see a limited service working quite well over time.

The recent failed driver harmonisation package did include provision to mean drivers would be obliged to work Boxing Day (at an enhanced rate), so it's clearly on the agenda.

Not sure what the position is regarding the restructuring at the moment, but I can tell you that a great many drivers saw through the ruse in the Harmonisation package that allowed for Xmas day / Boxing day working and this influenced a great many of them to vote no. Even running trains on Boxing day could prove to be highly unpopular.

And quite rightly so!

This is a subject that still stands the hairs up on the HSS (High Speed Services) boys (and girls) backs. A while ago this group of drivers once enjoyed the 25th and 26th December off with pay with nothing for those two days taken from the holiday entitlement. Anyone who wanted to work them were paid time +3/4 and a day of in lieu (attractive eh!). Sadly this has all gone but is still not forgotten and is a bowl of contention amonst us High Speeders!!(at Bristol it is anyway!)
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 22:20:34 »

This once again demonstrates the problem of having a franchise.  Times are changing and there may be a case of having a service on at least Boxing day.  However the franchise has been signed on the basis of no service on these two days.  If you want a service on these days it will cost more money in subsidy and would require negotiation with the government giving more money out. (Which they will not want to be seen doing)

AIUI (as I understand it) the next round of franchises will have a boxing day service included so in the years to come we may see some changes.

Their already talking about never mind waiting for a new round of franchising. Christmas working is just around the corner my friend, and could be as early as next year. Network Rail have mooted this and only a couple of months ago it was reported as being so in a broadsheet, the name of which I fail to remember. There will be no re-negotiation of subsidies because the routes that will require it won't be having a service!
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 06:19:14 »

Woo hoo!, triple time and no nasty dry turkey or unpleasant relatives.  Perhaps Christmas trains would attract a premium fare. Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 08:54:43 »

From my distant past memory I recall the main reason why BR (British Rail(ways)) stopped Christmas and Boxing day services, I think about 25 years ago, because it was uneconomic at the time very few people wanting to use the services and with at that time low numbers of passengers, freight, news paper & parcel and Royal Mail trains over that period it was also seen as a good time to do a number of major engineering jobs that otherwise would have been disruptive.

The Panel Signal Boxes, Electrical Control Rooms and IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre)'s have always been maned over Christmas. 

For a Christmas and Boxing day services to operate NR» (Network Rail - home page) and more specifically the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s would have to be convinced that they could earn revenue to cover the cost, may be we the railways are in a better place than 25 years ago with regards people wanting to use us over these two days.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
willc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 09:24:51 »

From my distant past memory I recall the main reason why BR (British Rail(ways)) stopped Christmas and Boxing day services, I think about 25 years ago,

Last Christmas Day trains were actually in 1964 or thereabouts. BR then had a brief flirtation with Boxing Day services, as your suggest, in the early 1980s, but the numbers just didn't stack up. That said, the level of Sunday afternoon and evening passenger traffic in those days was nothing like it is today, so perhaps running on Boxing Day for people heading back after visiting the family may be worth another try on a limited basis.

Even National Express doesn't bother running coaches on Christmas Day and Stagecoach charges a cool ^25 one way fare on the handful of Oxford Tube coaches it will run.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 10:52:32 »

I would expect any new drivers/guards/station contracts will have Xmas working written in (mine does at double time premium + day holiday in lieu).  While I disagree and do not see the need on Christmas day, I can see a Boxing day service coming, and as G.uard says, with my family, I would be the first one down to book on  Grin

I suppose it is down to the TOCs (Train Operating Company) to be convinced that the premium payments + extra holidays days will be worth the revenue.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 12:22:49 »

Woo hoo!, triple time and no nasty dry turkey
I would expect any new drivers/guards/station contracts will have Xmas working written in

I suppose it is down to the TOCs (Train Operating Company) to be convinced that the premium payments + extra holidays days will be worth the revenue.

G.Uard, You write any new Drivers/Guards will have new contracts with the 25th & 26th working in it. But I think you are missing the point. As I see it if FGW (First Great Western) decided to run trains on these days anyone who would have been rostered to work would be expected to work. High Speed drivers used to be booked off with pay on these days with no loss of their holiday entiltement. However volunters were always asked for and part and parcel for some people working (usually the older single men with no families) was the attractive terms offered. These have all but disappered. Now let's say that next year they decide they will run trains over Christmas and they are unable to get the volunters required, It will be the booked men who would have had work those trains had it been normal day of the week whether they were a new driver on the job or not. The only way to be sure of one or both of these days off would be to apply for a leave day from the entitlement which can only be done at midnight on the 25th and 26th of June at the earliest. At Bristol then you have to be within the first four (7 on a Saturday) to apply to be absolutly certain of getting those days off (unless of course they fell on a Sunday. However if the main drivers trade union had their way even that could change!)
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 13:22:49 »

The only problem is as myself and 12hoursunday have pointed out is that the companies would need to negotiate an agreement with the staff. This sort of thing cannot be imposed without stirring up a hornets nest. I don't think you will find that there are that many of the older hands that are that keen to work Xmas day / Boxing day, irrespective of how many days in lieu or multiples of the base salary you throw at the problem.

Suspect it will all fall into the 'too difficult' area and not bothered with in all honesty.

Trundling gently round the SW
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 18:36:56 »

I would expect any new drivers/guards/station contracts will have Xmas working written in (mine does at double time premium + day holiday in lieu).  While I disagree and do not see the need on Christmas day, I can see a Boxing day service coming, and as G.uard says, with my family, I would be the first one down to book on  Grin

Changes to contract can only be done with the agreement of the unions.  HSS (High Speed Services) drivers do have a xmas / boxing day agreement effectively written as they must use A/L days for thoses two days.  Also there are drivers already working in the depots at Paddington, Bristol, Swansea and Plymouth on those two days.  They are filled by volunteer but if there are not enough volunteers then they will roster a driver to work.  As double time is on offer I have yet to see any problem covering these turns  Smiley
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 18:53:42 »

As a railway worker who doesn't get any bank holiday off, is it ok if i have xmas day and boxing day off? Using two days of my annual holiday entitlement of course... Huh Sorry to be sarcastic...Merry Xmas!
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 07:05:13 »

Woo hoo!, triple time and no nasty dry turkey
I would expect any new drivers/guards/station contracts will have Xmas working written in

G.Uard, You write any new Drivers/Guards will have new contracts with the 25th & 26th working in it. But I think you are missing the point. As I see it if FGW (First Great Western) decided to run trains on these days anyone who would have been rostered to work would be expected to work. High Speed drivers used to be booked off with pay on these days with no loss of their holiday entiltement. However volunters were always asked for and part and parcel for some people working (usually the older single men with no families) was the attractive terms offered. These have all but disappered. Now let's say that next year they decide they will run trains over Christmas and they are unable to get the volunters required, It will be the booked men who would have had work those trains had it been normal day of the week whether they were a new driver on the job or not. The only way to be sure of one or both of these days off would be to apply for a leave day from the entitlement which can only be done at midnight on the 25th and 26th of June at the earliest. At Bristol then you have to be within the first four (7 on a Saturday) to apply to be absolutly certain of getting those days off (unless of course they fell on a Sunday. However if the main drivers trade union had their way even that could change!)

'Twas not I

I had prepared a diatribe slating those who wished to impose on our measly 2 days off, (for which we use a compulsory 2 annual leave days).   However, I thought of colleagues on Frost Watch at enhanced rates, remembered past 'festive' activities and changed my post at the last minute.

Merry Christmas and Bah Humbug! to you all.  Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 08:38:48 »

As a railway worker who doesn't get any bank holiday off, is it ok if i have xmas day and boxing day off? Using two days of my annual holiday entitlement of course... Huh Sorry to be sarcastic...Merry Xmas!
I had a contract like that with a previous railway employer the only three days stated in the contract as being public / bank holidays was Christmas, boxing and new years day the rest I apply for as leave if I wanted the day off or even worse was forced to take as leave if there was not work to do, like I said now an ex employer.

I am sure the traveling public do not realise that the railways are a 24 hour a day 365 day operation with a lot of employees working some very unsociable hours

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 20:20:48 »

I don't think a xmas day service would be necessary but a boxing day limited service might prove useful for those that cannot drive. Although with engineering works over the christmas break, it could cause delays to the works and then cause delays for the normal service on the 27th

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: