Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:02 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
17:29 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 15:42:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[66] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[36] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[28] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[26] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas and Boxing Day trains - ongoing discussion  (Read 118294 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 29, 2015, 09:05:31 »

The one sure-fire way to ensure there are more widespread Boxing Day rail services is for them to be specified in franchise agreements, and, for whatever reasons, successive governments have not done that despite plenty of opportunities.

Accepted the Railways are a public service however we are talking about the removal of peoples right to a Public Holiday which if an employer tried to impose the terms it could spend years going through the Courts; unless of course HMG wishes to pass some primary legislation.

That simply isn't the case - I've worked on loads of Public Holidays (including Christmas Day for what it's worth) and have simply had the day off in lieu on another day, you're not removing anyone's right to have a day off in respect of Boxing day - otherwise how would you staff hospitals, Police, emergency services etc?

It doesn't need "Primary legislation", just some negotiation and common sense!

As an aside, when I've worked for an employer where Christmas working was necessary, the general deal was that if you worked over Christmas one year, you wouldn't have to the following year - seems pretty fair? Surely that could work?

If as others have stated Crossrail Drivers have Boxing Day working as part of their contract then that is a big step forward.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 29, 2015, 09:17:53 »

I noted a lot of HST (High Speed Train) services to / from Waterloo 'capped' at Reading - and wondered if there was a staffing issue with a lack of staff / pilotpeople who knew the road rather than a more general issue?

Exactly my thoughts too Graham, the only trains I saw were the ones that were cut short at Reading, I don't remember seeing any cancelled from Bristol/Cardiff/Plymouth etc which made me think the problem was with the 'bought in' pilots rather than the GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers themselves.

On the other hand though if there was a shortage of drivers then stopping them at Reading would have made sense as passengers could continue to Waterloo via Staines or via Guildford and complete their journey with not much added on to the journey time whilst still running a full service on the rest of the network.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2015, 10:38:10 »

You will always get volunteers, those drivers that don't have families etc. I don't know what sort of offer they make to their drivers but on a network the size of GWR (Great Western Railway) I don't think you would get enough to run a meaningful service on every route

Yes I agree, which I why I suggested starting small and offering an hourly service on just four GWR core routes running between the hours of 8am-8pm for which they'd only be a total of around 70 actual train services throughout the whole day.  That's probably going to need a dozen or so LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) and HSS (High Speed Services) volunteers from the large pool of drivers at their various depots.  You could cut that down further by sending some or all of the Cardiff services via Bristol.

I noted a lot of HST (High Speed Train) services to / from Waterloo 'capped' at Reading - and wondered if there was a staffing issue with a lack of staff / pilotpeople who knew the road rather than a more general issue?
Exactly my thoughts too Graham, the only trains I saw were the ones that were cut short at Reading, I don't remember seeing any cancelled from Bristol/Cardiff/Plymouth etc which made me think the problem was with the 'bought in' pilots rather than the GWR drivers themselves.

I did wonder that as well.  Will try and find out.

If as others have stated Crossrail Drivers have Boxing Day working as part of their contract then that is a big step forward.

Yes, AIUI (as I understand it) they do.  I definitely saw a drivers contract for Crossrail which had that stipulated quite clearly in it.  I assume that was the final contract that all new drivers would sign up to, even if existing drivers that TUPE (The Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 2006.)'d over were able to keep their original conditions.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2015, 10:49:54 »

And new franchises can bring in similar cintracts for new drivers, thus giving them a pool of drivers sufficient for major services over the length of the franchise. I wiuld expect the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to go that way by contracting via new franchises if that's what was wanted.

The problem will be demand. While football/shops (& potential return to work on 27th) will likely overload any services provided, leading to even more complaints than currently
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2015, 11:46:55 »

Some of us neither want to shop or go to sporting fixtures. I'd just like the opportunity to be able to escape the relatives on the 26th if needs be.

That said, this won't be an issue for me next or future Chritmases. I shall be living closer to family from March 2016.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 29, 2015, 16:17:37 »

The other issue to resolve with Crossrail due to the lack of toilets on the trains all the stations will need to be staffed so the station toilets can be available.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #351 on: December 29, 2015, 16:23:00 »

No chance unless Crossrail take over station operatorship - has this been determined? If so, staff from first to last is standard in a TfL» (Transport for London - about) contract. But don't hold out for toilets where there currently aren't any
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 29, 2015, 17:34:50 »

No chance unless Crossrail take over station operatorship - has this been determined? If so, staff from first to last is standard in a TfL» (Transport for London - about) contract. But don't hold out for toilets where there currently aren't any

If the predominant local services between Reading and Paddington are going to be Crossrail, the I assume they will take over the local stations. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 30, 2015, 08:28:44 »

The other issue to resolve with Crossrail due to the lack of toilets on the trains all the stations will need to be staffed so the station toilets can be available.

No toilets on Crossrail trains? I guess the journey times are (relatively) short so hopefully not too much of an issue!

I guess it'll be a similar experience to a lengthy Tube journey and there are very few (if any?) toilets at Tube stations, at least I guess most LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) stations do have toilets.............I think there's two questions there for a trivia quiz!!!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #354 on: December 30, 2015, 08:44:33 »

I guess it'll be a similar experience to a lengthy Tube journey and there are very few (if any?) toilets at Tube stations,[snip] .............I think there's two questions there for a trivia quiz!!!

Sorry to kill your trivia quiz ... the TfL» (Transport for London - about) station toilet map is at

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/toilets-map.pdf

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 30, 2015, 08:58:07 »

No toilets on Crossrail trains? I guess the journey times are (relatively) short so hopefully not too much of an issue!

I guess it'll be a similar experience to a lengthy Tube journey and there are very few (if any?) toilets at Tube stations, at least I guess most LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) stations do have toilets.............I think there's two questions there for a trivia quiz!!!

Part of the fanfare announcement a few weeks ago by TfL» (Transport for London - about) on the new trains, Boris gets panned in the press  http://www.standard.co.uk/news/boris-johnson-is-panned-over-lack-of-loos-on-1bn-crossrail-trains-6384452.html however he will not get flushed at the next Mayor for London election, note how we in the outside London have had a decision forced on us by a non-elected body (not elected by us that is)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #356 on: December 30, 2015, 10:06:55 »

And if the experiences of Met Line tube users from the extremities are to go by, TfL» (Transport for London - about) don't listen either.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #357 on: January 06, 2016, 20:52:35 »

First Bus in Bath ran some services on Boxing Day and New Year's day for the first time for "many years" ... very interesting to hear of their experience.   Which should not put others off running on Boxing Day  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2016, 10:34:45 »

Good to see that the new London Overground concession, awarded to Arriva today, has, amongst other things, a commitment to run Boxing Day services on some routes.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/london-overground-services-to-run-later-into-the-night-after-privatisation-deal-a3206456.html

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2017, 21:55:31 »

This year, for the first time in many years, I shall be able to escape the relatives on Boxing Day if the need arises.

Thanks to better public transport provision on the 26th December?

Don't be silly. I have a driving licence now.  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
  Print  

Jump to: