Short Run
21:25 Evesham to London Paddington
24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 23:17:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[243] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[107] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[65] Death of another bus station?
[44] "Mayflower"
[38] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: No support for the More Train Less Strain group from the people that matter!  (Read 10680 times)
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:36 »

So no matter what this group has to say about the removal of the Up-Side car park it seems the people in high profile postitions think different. Let's hope that this is now put to bed!

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Fears-fatal-crush-Bath-Spa-Station-unfounded/article-593566-detail/article.html
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 11:54:57 »

It always struck me as a strange argument to pick.  I suspect that MTLS (More Train Less Strain) really don't like the fact that they wil in future be unable to walk straight from thier car to the platform.

They may well have a valid (minor) criticism but their attempt to dress it up as a safety issue rather than a matter of (in)convenience has failed.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 19:38:04 »

Maybe I lack imagination but it's a bit of a mystery to me how removing that small ramp and car park negatively affects safety: from my observations not very many people at Bath leave the station through that gate anyway, so it seems unlikely that its closure will result in a huge increase in the number of passengers passing through the barriers, which are admittedly very cramped. The provision of lifts is surely a massive improvement for elderly and disabled passengers given the number of stairs up to the platforms from the booking hall.

It might even be possible to make an argument that the loss of the ramp and car park improves safety, by providing one less source of conflicting traffic movements immediately outside the station. I don't want to be cynical but I agree with Tim: it strikes me that the supposed safety issue may have been cooked up to try and draw attention to a fairly trivial matter.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 20:07:55 »

Very well said, Blakey. I agree with every word.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 17:40:46 »

MTLS (More Train Less Strain) haven't got anything else to moan about now, infact they're just clutching at straws in order to still try and serve a purpouse, why don't they be good and dissapear into the unknown quietly!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 18:51:33 »

MTLS (More Train Less Strain) haven't got anything else to moan about now, infact they're just clutching at straws in order to still try and serve a purpouse, why don't they be good and dissapear into the unknown quietly!

They may have a good use in Kent. Govia are using their monopoly over rail and road to hike fares 35%. A fare strike would be a good way to get the government to stop these ILLEGAL rises.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 19:37:01 »

I'm sorry btline, what are you rambling on about.

It works the same way as First Class. You get a better service (in this case faster) so you pay more. Simple economics really.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 21:04:52 »

I'm sorry btline, what are you rambling on about.

It works the same way as First Class. You get a better service (in this case faster) so you pay more. Simple economics really.

Here's an explanation:

Firstly, journey times for most are going UP. Furthermore, the station is further away from where people work (West End, or The City), so convenience is DOWN.

Meanwhile, people in Greater London are having their services AXED and are paying 8% more this year for the privilege!

If SE were keeping their express and semi fast trains, as well as a good service at smaller stations; people would have a choice on whether to pay for the Javelin, or stick to normal services.

However, SE are AXING semi fast trains, and some stations are having 60% CUTS in service. This is basically FORCING people onto the Javelins, hence FORCING people to pay 35%.

I have no problem with the idea of a high speed commuter link - but SE are going to cause misery to hundreds of thousands of commuters - the season ticket fares are high enough already.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 19:07:34 »

what they gunna do pay the conjection charge and fuel for there car or get a second car....remember lifes full of evil bas***ds, this is a service people need to get to work and put food on the table..... no alternative..... LETS SCREW EM!!!!!

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 17:08:01 »

MTLS (More Train Less Strain) seem determined not to give up on this one though and have organised a protest outside Bath Spa station for Monday morning:
http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/travelandtransport/Protest-station-ramp/article-621010-detail/article.html

A spokesman for the group said: "As well as creating huge discomfort for passengers using the narrow stairs at Bath, the increased overcrowding on the stairs when the ramp is removed will create a significant risk of a crush accident."

SouthGate developer Multi and FGW (First Great Western) argue there will be no risk to people from its plans, part of the creation of a new transport interchange for the city.

More details on the protest can be found on the front page of the MTLS website http://mtls.org.uk/ though I do wonder if there will be much support for this one.

dog box

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 20:20:59 »

is this to be The very first Stairs stike!!!!

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 20:46:28 »

LOL (laughing out loud)Cheesy very good dog box.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 20:49:48 »

Sorry, am I missing something here.

They are protesting because of the removal of a ramp?

Meanwhile, millions are dying in the middle east......

Come on, at least the fare strikes had a vague justification. This seems pathetic. Cheesy
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 23:39:31 »

I wonder if there'll be a fleet of daleks parked up outside Bath Spa on Monday morning.  Wink
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 22:55:16 »

They'll have to do their protesting on Dorchester Street, as they will not be allowed on the forecourt of the station I am glad to say. Anyone found handing out leaflets on railway property will be evicted. (ticket in possesion or not!)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: