Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
16:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
17:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
16:13 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 17:48 Exeter St Davids to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 17:17:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[81] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[78] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[74] Okehampton
[58] First tour train of season
[40] Our first Interrail tour

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW HEATHROW HUB  (Read 45388 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2009, 11:03:31 »

David Cameron has warned firms not to invest in building a third runway at Heathrow, as his party will scrap the plan if it wins power (link below.)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7832693.stm

An interesting further quote from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) article:

Some protesters smashed doors at the Department for Transport after the decision was made
That's a brave statement by him, as it's exactly those same firms his party will be trying to court favour with to fund his parties campaign at the next general election.

This whole saga of the extra capacity at our airports and the high speed rail route(s) and route electrification of our existing network shows the endemic inability of our government (both politicians and civil servants) to plan a cohesive transport system its all done on knee jerk and political gain and never in the National interest. 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2009, 18:42:52 »

Birmingham airport is excellent!

The only European airport I have been to where your bags are returned quicker is Berlin Tegal.

It is pleasant, calm and VERY efficient.

It really makes you proud to be British when you step off the plane (as you compare your smooth experience with the chaos at the European airport you were flying from).
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2009, 18:50:24 »

Birmingham airport is excellent!

The only European airport I have been to where your bags are returned quicker is Berlin Tegal.

It is pleasant, calm and VERY efficient.

It really makes you proud to be British when you step off the plane (as you compare your smooth experience with the chaos at the European airport you were flying from).

Are you talking about a different Birmingham in the world then, those descriptions sound nothing like it  Wink
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2009, 18:55:12 »

I have never had to wait for bags to be returned.

I have never been delayed.

The ambiance is nicer than most airports.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2009, 19:29:37 »

I was talking about birmingham in general
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2009, 20:53:33 »

Oh, I hate B'ham!

It really makes me ashamed to be Britsh when I step out of the train at New Street..... Grin
willc

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2009, 02:32:49 »

The problem is most overseas visitors' experience of our airports is Heathrow, a place that is unlikely to make anyone feel proud to be British - however many runways and terminals it ends up with.

And I suspect you've never been to Oslo Gardermoen, built from scratch a decade ago, well away from the city, with a high-speed rail link and also served by trains on the main line to central and northern Norway, it still looks as good as the day it opened and is a model of efficiency. How airports should be - because it's not run by a shopping centre operator like BAA.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2009, 10:13:40 »

Try Bristol airport. Even with bags to reclaim, never taken me more than half an hour to get from plane to car.
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2009, 11:14:52 »

More and more people are waking up to the fact that flying is rubbish. You have a long and awkward journey to the airport, you struggle to stay within the luggage allowance, you wait around for hours, then the hassle of security checks, then you're cramped into a tiny area, and the food is poor, and when you arrive you've got loads more waiting around to do and then have a third journey to reach your destination. Yeah it's exciting the first few times but once the novelty has worn off and the cheap flights are gone.... most people would rather drive or take a train.

But it's been like that for years and hasn't put people off flying, because even with all the hassle involved, it's still quicker to most of Europe, except for Paris and Brussels, or there's no other way to get there - and it's not just long-haul that this is the case. I lived in Norway for a while and not once was a flight I took between Oslo and London on time (worst delays were both two hours - as long as the flight itself takes) but what's the alternative? You can't even go by sea any more, as the Newcastle-Stavanger ferry route closed at the end of August.
I agree that presently there is no alternative to flying for almost all journeys to and from the UK (United Kingdom), but my point is that as alternatives increase (for the other reasons I stated), flying will decline, as it has done on many core routes in Europe, eg Paris to Brussels, Madrid to Barcelona etc. The advantages to flying are the cheaper fares and the faster journey time; given a level playing field on fuel taxes and a high speed line, these advantages disappear on short haul routes. I think this will come in the long term..... our present government's policy is based entirely on supporting BAA's business plan but that will not always be the case.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2009, 12:09:20 »

Try Bristol airport. Even with bags to reclaim, never taken me more than half an hour to get from plane to car.

Agreed, Bristol is a fantastic airport! Puts any BAA airport to shame.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2009, 12:54:40 »

Only disadvantage of Bristol airport is that there's no way it could have a rail link - of course, if Filton were redeveloped with Bristol Parkway right next door....
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2009, 14:56:29 »

Coventry airport was also very good before it was axed. Cry
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2009, 15:13:20 »

Coventry airport was also very good before it was axed. Cry

It was bit pointless with a well connected airport 10 minutes away!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2009, 15:27:24 »

Only disadvantage of Bristol airport is that there's no way it could have a rail link - of course, if Filton were redeveloped with Bristol Parkway right next door....

I like Bristol Airport ... as an airport. But, gosh, I wish it wasn't where it is. As commenter haddynuf said to the Bristol Blogger:

Lulsgate always was going to be a bloody crazy place to build a huge airport. Miles from a rail-link, miles from a motorway junction; no thought given to the local villages and their narrow roads creating congestion.

See:
http://thebristolblogger.wordpress.com/2007/10/15/bb-roadwatch-a-touch-of-class/
I had an email from a delegate who's coming on on of our courses - she's arriving next Sunday and asked me about public transport from the airport. Now it's only about 30 miles, so it shouldn't be too hard. And Sunday afternoon is one of the busiest times of the week for people travelling a long distance, so there should be plenty of services.

a) Catch the bus to Bristol Temple Meads Station
b) Catch the train to Bath Spa
c) Catch the bus (route 272) to Melksham

The last leg only runs every 2 hours on a Sunday ... and it expires at 7:30 p.m. on a Sunday (it runs later on other evenings, of course!).

There are other alternatives ... if you just happen to catch the train from Bristol at 18:00, you can change into another train at CHIPPEHNAM to get you to Melksham ... and if you catch the 16:10 or 18:50 train you can change at TROWBRIDGE into the Melksham train.

The problem with all of this?  Even with the best laid plans, the flight may be half an hour late ...

I DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) hear someone advocating (at a rail meeting) light rail or tramway to Bristol (Lulsgate) airport - a branch off the Bristol - Weston line (I suppose) somewhere near Nailsea, but then I see other documents from web searches that tell me that it's impractical to link it directly to the rail network.

Advise for my delegate?  "Let me know when you'll be arriving and we'll get a taxi to collect you" - I'm frankly embarrassed at the complexity of such a short journey from what is supposed to be our regional airport.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2009, 15:41:34 »

I think the gradient up from the main line at Yatton would be much too steep.  The airport is quite high up compared with the rail-line.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: