Delayed
05:25 Swansea to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 05:58:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick work on track  (Read 14997 times)
willc

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2009, 13:26:25 »

Looking out of the window as my train approached Oxford this morning, it looks as though the track gangs have renewed almost all of the goods line between Oxford station and Oxford North junction over the weekend with new rails and steel sleepers. The main remaining bit of old track seems to be alongside the stabling sidings.

At that rate of progress, shouldn't be too long before the Bicester trains are running this way and the other loop tracks are also renewed to pasenger standards. There are further possessions north of Oxford this coming Sunday and the whole of the following weekend.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 13:35:05 »

Looking out of the window as my train approached Oxford this morning, it looks as though the track gangs have renewed almost all of the goods line between Oxford station and Oxford North junction over the weekend with new rails and steel sleepers. The main remaining bit of old track seems to be alongside the stabling sidings.

At that rate of progress, shouldn't be too long before the Bicester trains are running this way and the other loop tracks are also renewed to pasenger standards. There are further possessions north of Oxford this coming Sunday and the whole of the following weekend.

That's right. The gangs were quite busy over the weekend, and I believe advantage of the possession was taken to also do some heavy work on the A34 flyover renewal at Wolvercote. It should be pointed out though that track renewal is a small part of the work, with the signalling alterations being the most complex and time-consuming part of the project. I doubt Bicester trains will be using this track until late Autumn as originally planned.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
willc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 13:43:51 »

Pity it will take that long to get the signals altered, but given that other bits of the goods loops won't need signal changes, presumably the ability to move delayed westbound Cotswold Line trains out of the station will be available much sooner?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 14:32:09 »

Pity it will take that long to get the signals altered, but given that other bits of the goods loops won't need signal changes, presumably the ability to move delayed westbound Cotswold Line trains out of the station will be available much sooner?

I can see no reason, in principle, why they wouldn't be able to bring in that alteration sooner. Passenger trains can currently use this section with the permission of the regional signalling manager (or whatever their job title currently is) down at Swindon, so it should just be a case of amending the method of working once suitable track is in place to allow regular passenger service. Even if the present 15mph speed limit is unaltered it would still be beneficial to trundle a Cotswold Line service down there out of the way.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
willc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 21:54:46 »

From past experience of trundling along there when the points at the end of platform 2 had jammed, it wouldn't be hard to raise the speed limit, even with the most basic of relaying jobs. Rough doesn't really do the ride quality of the current track justice.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:41:17 »

Just to add that the weekends possession was a very productive one for once - along with the work already mentioned there was 1/2 mile of plain track renewal on the Up Main just north of Wolvercote Junction and another 1/4 mile done just south of Ayhno Junction.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:12:18 »

Virtually all of the plain line track has now been replaced on both the Up and Down Goods Loops with the final of the three weekends of closures meaning the Down Goods Loop now has new CWR (Continuously Welded Rail) and steel sleepers. Some of the track replaced in the Down Goods Loop dated from 1943 - you can certainly say that the railway industry had a fair amount of use out of it!

willc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 13:41:30 »

No wonder the ride was so rough. There's a bit of ballasting and tamping to complete on the down side but the up loop is available for use from Wolvercot junction, there was an MoD train stopped on it at Oxford North junction as I passed this morning. Not sure if the section from the junction to the station is available yet.

A late night update -  have just checked in a book and this long-lived track just post-dates the building of the extended down goods loop which ran to Wolvercot Siding, near the village, as a wartime capacity enhancement, completed in 1942, which lasted until 1962. It took a slightly erratic course on its own embankment west of the drainage ditch alongside the main lines and its remains can still be seen in the trees alongside the line.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 00:07:03 by willc » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 11:47:03 »

Work continuing with this project too. The head shunt at the northern end of the depot is now in place, and whilst not as flexible as the ground frame to the Up Goods Loop it replaces, it will be a useful bit of kit when a unit fails or sets are stepped up at short notice.

willc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 14:08:08 »

According to the East customer panel minutes, the resignalling work on the loop will be "finalised" in May - whether this means design or installation wasn't made clear.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 11:16:14 »

According to the East customer panel minutes, the resignalling work on the loop will be "finalised" in May - whether this means design or installation wasn't made clear.

As far as I know, it'll be November before the work is complete and fully operational. Signalling may well be installed by May, but won't be commissioned until November and there's still the more complex track work to replace (spring points and normal pointwork at North Junction and alongside Aristotle Lane and the Rewley Road sidings).

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 00:36:44 »

The new signals are now being installed for this upgrade. One on the up goods loop (in the down direction) has already been put in place and others are waiting to be put up and are temporarily stored in the old diesel depot.

mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 20:37:47 »

Something that is puzzling me is that Chiltern's proposals for the Oxford Marylebone service say: to "Between Oxford North Junction (near Wolvercote) and Oxford station the new line will use the disused trackbed that runs between the Oxford to Banbury main line and the Oxford Canal. Two additional platforms will be provided at Oxford station and the existing stations at Bicester Town and Islip will be rebuilt."

/www.chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk

Why would they not use the soon to be upgraded freight lines? I also seem to recall seeing drains or sewers being installed in the disused trackbed as part of one of the housing developments built near Port Meadow during the last ten years. Is that right?
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 20:49:47 »

The new signals are now being installed for this upgrade. One on the up goods loop (in the down direction) has already been put in place and others are waiting to be put up and are temporarily stored in the old diesel depot.

The new Down Jericho Line, i.e. the old Up Goods Loop south of Oxford North Junction, is due to be commissioned by Network Rail on Wednesday 13th May. I'm not sure how long after that the drivers will be signed to use it but possibly not that long with the extra trains starting with the new timetable.
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 20:57:11 »

Something that is puzzling me is that Chiltern's proposals for the Oxford Marylebone service say: to "Between Oxford North Junction (near Wolvercote) and Oxford station the new line will use the disused trackbed that runs between the Oxford to Banbury main line and the Oxford Canal. Two additional platforms will be provided at Oxford station and the existing stations at Bicester Town and Islip will be rebuilt."

/www.chiltern-evergreen3.co.uk

Why would they not use the soon to be upgraded freight lines?

The new Chiltern route into Oxford has to be independent with no physical connection with the existing track or signalling because the signal cables and equipment at Oxford PSB (Power Signal Box) are quite old and fragile and cannot be altered until the major resignalling happens in around 2016. The only interface will occur just south of Wolvercot Tunnel where a bi-directional single lead will connect to the up main line for freight etc heading south of Oxford. At Oxford station, a new bridge has to be built to carry the new track into the additional platforms.

The Chiltern track into the two new platforms will be controlled from somewhere else. They prefer Marylebone but that's still to be decided as its wrapped up with the need to expand the IECC (Integrated Electronic Control Centre) there.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: