Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:49:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 48 Hours Only: Why I hate fgw.  (Read 4160 times)
smokey

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2009, 20:20:37 »

I'm NO fan of FGW (First Great Western), but whilst it's on iplayer (if you have the software) it's well worth listening to this.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p001vrdm/Laurence_Reid_09_01_2009/

Fast forward to 1hr 47minutes

It might be you have to change the date manually to 09_01_2009 or click on More Laurence Reid.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 20:30:21 by smokey » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 21:35:28 »

What a load of rubbish! He has no idea about the railway. Roll Eyes

Oh dear.....

*"Why can't they hook another carriage on" - I won't bother answering that!

*"They should stop selling tickets once every seat is booked." - a: what about season tickets. b: what about the rush hour - noone would be able to get home! c: just think about it!

*"It was disgusting that my son was shouted at for putting his bike in the carriage" - why can't he read the bike signs? what hasn't he read the bit in the timetable? why hasn't he asked staff. Sorry, IMO (in my opinion) he was delaying the train, and the guard was just to be annoyed.

*"Surely they knew it would be busy, so why can't they get another carriage from Bristol area" dur - because it is busy there as well!

I'll let others carry on!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 21:41:17 »

I don't disagree that it's no longer possible to just put another carriage on.

But it's very sad that the General Public look on the Railway in such poor light.

r james

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 23:12:52 »

I have to say, I do agree with many of the points in this item.  I personally have been spoken to like dirt by a number of rail staff onboard rains and at stations.  I understand there are needs to keep things to time etc etc, but there is also a need for basic customer service skills to be demonstrated. 

There are some amazing members of staf on the railway, but there are some people who do seem to have an appauling attitude. 
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 23:45:31 »

I don't disagree that it's no longer possible to just put another carriage on.

But it's very sad that the General Public look on the Railway in such poor light.

Most people WHO ACTUALLY TRAVEL by train don't have this sort of view, I work with customers from start to end of my shift and am on first name terms with many and about 90% of them actually thing the train service is pretty good in our part of the world. BTline, why get wound up? take it with a pinch of salt, smokey doesn't actually work with customers so he wouldn't know what the general feeling is, he's just got some vendetta for some reason, leave him to it!  Wink
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 02:34:49 »

There are some amazing members of staf on the railway, but there are some people who do seem to have an appauling attitude. 

Just like some passengers. This person has I am sorry to say made himself seem a complete ass!
r james

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:07:27 »

Yep I agree so have some passengers.  But I personnaly have been spoken to like complete dirt, as a customer, who is not abusive towards staff in any way.  I am just speaking as I find I am afraid, and an opinion is something I am entitled to.
r james

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:08:25 »

And I do hate to say it, but the people are there to work, and just because one customer may have upset somebody, it doesnt mean to say they can take this out on other customers.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 21:08:01 »

The reason why I got angry was that this programme is a BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) production, broadcast to many.

It should not be so poorly done. This type of publicity could do damage to the railway. We need to be getting people onto the Newquay trains, so the Dft don't axe it again. Programmes like this are preventing such growth.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 21:14:57 »

I take most things on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) with a pinch of salt. From what I listened it was just some woman moaning about something silly.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 22:16:49 »

I didn't even bother to listen to it but i'm presuming that its to do with the saturday when a wedged HST (High Speed Train) removed some people at Par? There are plenty of passengers that talk to rail staff like dirt and not just the scroats, and even rail staff are human, can everyone on this forum honestly say they've never lost it with someone when under pressure?
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 23:08:46 »

Most people WHO ACTUALLY TRAVEL by train don't have this sort of view, I work with customers from start to end of my shift and am on first name terms with many and about 90% of them actually thing the train service is pretty good in our part of the world. BTline, why get wound up? take it with a pinch of salt, smokey doesn't actually work with customers so he wouldn't know what the general feeling is, he's just got some vendetta for some reason, leave him to it!  Wink

Absolutely. Agree with you 100% there. Having listened to a few minutes of that programme (couldn't stomach much more than that because I was getting increasingly angry) it sounds like a standard local radio whinge-fest and it just so happened that the day in question was FGW (First Great Western)'s turn. No doubt you could tune in another day and hear endless people bleating about their rubbish local bus service, how nasty their mortgage company is, etc etc. It seems that some people are never happy unless they're complaining about something, and low-budget phone-in shows like this seem to attract them like flies to, ahem, poo.

Rant over.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 10:19:54 »

You see - I can sympathise with the bike issue

I prefer to cycle at the end of my journey but the whole reservation thing is impossible.  I cant often say which time train ill get - I might hope to get the 1722 but end up in work late and on the 1822 or 1922.  They wont let you make three reservations - just in case - I tried.

I was luycky and got a full size folder and most cotswolds TM(resolve)'s let me keep it in the disabled first space if no disabld passenger. 

And dont say buy one and keep it at pad - I did - three of em - all three got stripped down and wrecked.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: