21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 04:25:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad News!!  (Read 22640 times)
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009, 08:03:24 »

If councils want to encourage car sharing, perhaps they should provide car parks for this purpose?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2009, 09:58:13 »

Of course part of the problem at places like Bodmin Parkway is that the obvious solution to the problem is considered too costly and that is to have a car park attendant who can collect money from non train passengers clamp cars in the bus turning turning circle and issue tickets to people overstaying in the 20 minute bays (except when trains are late and they are meeting someone) and disabled bays.

You can't police a carpark effectively without staff. It's intersting that most private carparks are manned and policed (usually agressively see Maidenhead Advertiser re Overstaying in the shopping complex in Stafferton Way) but council and railway ones aren't.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2009, 10:12:09 »

If councils want to encourage car sharing, perhaps they should provide car parks for this purpose?

Absoluetly,  that is the only real solution to this issue. 
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2009, 18:47:46 »

Economic dichotomy?

I think that this is what Christain Wolmar calls "lets pretend capitalism".    I have absolutely no problem with people profiting from the railway (all of the staff make money out of the railway afterall.  You wouldn't expect them to work for nothing so why expect an investor to lend his money to the industry for nothing in return?) but the current system neither sets the market free nor focuses solely on public service.  It is a complet muddle which is neither the best for the company profits, the passenger or the tax-payer. 

The concept A, is that the need exists to perform a public service and also make money from the exercise.  If this is then split,  into parts B and not-B, then the parts form a dichotomy: they are mutually exclusive, since, (seemingly), no part of B is contained in not-B and vice-versa, and they are jointly exhaustive, since they cover all of A, and together again give A.  Grin

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 09:20:17 »

perhaps you could explain the rules of Mornington Crescent with that level of clarity?  Smiley
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 21:48:40 »

Either way, the charges are still going to be introduced, it's just been delayed.
west49th

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 09:35:37 »

This is a perfect illustration of the weird parallel world the people at FGW (First Great Western) inhabit.

If Sainsbury's started to charge you for using their carpark, you'd decamp to a competitor.

But of course, FGW has no competitor.

So once again - now the threat of Franchise Withdrawal has been removed - it seems like they're back to their old tricks.

Which is not called Mornington Crescent. 

It bears the name "now where else can we screw the passenger?"
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 12:21:23 »

perhaps you could explain the rules of Mornington Crescent with that level of clarity?  Smiley

It was tongue in cheek, so probably not.  Grin

If you want clarity, see vacman's post above. Wink
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 17:42:44 »

This is a perfect illustration of the weird parallel world the people at FGW (First Great Western) inhabit.

If Sainsbury's started to charge you for using their carpark, you'd decamp to a competitor.

But of course, FGW has no competitor.

So once again - now the threat of Franchise Withdrawal has been removed - it seems like they're back to their old tricks.

Which is not called Mornington Crescent. 

It bears the name "now where else can we screw the passenger?"

but you wouldn't park in Tesco car park to go to Sainsburys
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2009, 21:14:56 »

Sorry, I'll say it again. Roll Eyes

Easy solution - put a barrier at the exit of the car park!

Then make car parking free, where you can only exit the car park with a season ticket/token etc. No ticket? ^25 fine.
Nemesis

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 15:00:26 »

I have had occasion to park my camper van at Bodmin Parkway.  In doing so, I always ensure that I am using the rail service and that I hold a valid ticket.  Surely, any charge levied upon genuine travellers could be recouped by a corresponding reduction in train fare, much as happens at some Somefield supermarkets.   

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. 
(Matthew VII, v. 12)

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.  ~John Lennon
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 21:28:45 »

Sorry, I'll say it again. Roll Eyes

Easy solution - put a barrier at the exit of the car park!

Then make car parking free, where you can only exit the car park with a season ticket/token etc. No ticket? ^25 fine.
[/quoteas if theyre gonna spend money doing that, anyway, it wouldn't work at bodmin as you have to drive into the car park to turn around if dropping off etc and a right of way exists through it to Lanhydrock and a couple of houses
Nemesis

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2009, 21:44:31 »

Don't be too vexed Brother vacman.  I was only attempting to develop your excellent point re Tesco and Sainsbury which you made above.

"In My Father's house are many mansions."--John 14:2

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.  ~John Lennon
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:25 »

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/cornishguardian/Warning-street-chaos-rail-users-try-miss-charge/article-777170-detail/article.html

A link to the introduction of parking charges at Liskeard.

It appears Cornwall County Council paid a large amount of money to upgrade the car parks and Wessex trains agreed no parking charges. First have discontinued this arrangement,

"A considerable amount of money was made available through Cornwall County Council to upgrade and improve the parking facilities at Liskeard station when Wessex Trains held the franchise, and at that time it was agreed in principle that in return for this no parking charges would be levied. First Great Western's policy is somewhat different, and they will not agree to continue this arrangement."
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2009, 11:03:12 »

Then, in my opinion, FGW (First Great Western) should be obliged to reimburse the council (i.e. the public who funded the improvements) for the money spent on upgrading the car park. The general public's money should not end up in the pockets of to the shareholders of FGW.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: