Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 21:31:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[294] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[103] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[61] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[54] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[26] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[25] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW Arriva Win Cross-Country  (Read 16123 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:17:21 »

The Biggest shock of all with all the recently awarded franchises, the bearded one/Stagecoach loses XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)). Expect them to win East Coast.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/passenger/franchises/winnernewcrosscounty

New rail franchise to increase capacity between major cities
The Department for Transport (DfT» (Department for Transport - about)) today announced that Arriva plc has been awarded the contract to run the New Cross Country rail franchise.

It combines the majority of the existing Cross Country franchise services currently operated by Virgin Cross Country and the Nottingham - Cardiff and Birmingham - Stansted Airport services currently operated by Central Trains.

The new franchise will begin on 11th November 2007 and end on 1st April 2016. DfT has the right to terminate the franchise after six years if the operator fails to meet agreed performance targets. Over the life of the franchise (eight years and four months) DfT will pay a subsidy of ^1.056 bn (NPV) to Arriva.

The contract will deliver increased capacity, better performance and improved customer services. Passengers will benefit from:

40 extra train carriages for operation on long distance services, using High Speed Trains (HSTs (High Speed Train)), refurbished to the standard of the existing Voyager Trains. This, together with internal changes to the current fleet of Voyager trains, will provide nearly 3,000 more seats each day on the busiest routes at the busiest times. Internal changes on the Voyager trains will also provide for a 20-25% increase in luggage storage space;
Increased staff visibility with the busiest long distance services having at least three members of staff passing through the train;
A new web-based ticketing system which will be introduced from December 2009;
Refurbished Class 170 units on Birmingham - Stansted and Cardiff - Nottingham services including extra seats, and first class on all trains;
Help and advice for passengers who need to change trains.
The Government will continue to limit annual rises of regulated fares in line with national policy, which is currently RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))+1%.

As with all franchises, unregulated fares will be the responsibility of the operator. Arriva have indicated that they may wish to raise unregulated fares by an average of 3.4% above inflation each year.

Passengers will benefit from new arrangements to be compensated for delays and poor performance.
ENDS
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:52:22 »

But WHERE are they going to get the 40 carriages from let alone at least 10 power cars to attach each end of a rake of lets say 8 coaches to conjure up these HSTs (High Speed Train). OK they might be able to modify loco hauled  Mk3's to run behind a class 43 PC but where are these spare class 43's or am I missing something somewhere.

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:34:18 »

Here are some more links on this.
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2007/07/arriva_wins_uks_cross_country.html#more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6286904.stm

http://www.dft.gov.uk/press/speechesstatements/statements/statecrosscountryrail

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/environment/fullDetail.asp?ReleaseID=297895&NewsAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:26:22 »

Having experienced the old Cross Country Network, before Virgin took over, and the dramatic improvements in the service offered by the current service over the past 10 years, I wonder if Tom Harris has made another blunder?

Or was the decision political, clearing the way for Virgin to get the GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) franchise?

Any views?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 16:42:17 »

Pffffffffffft, imprpovments, please point me in the right direction

VXC (Virgin Cross Country - former franchise) have: Made a stupid timetable, which they couldn't do, so had to reduce services
Introduced crap voyager trains, with a decrese in coaches, more cramped interiors, uncomfy seats & smelly loos!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 17:08:38 »

Sorry Simon I'm with Jim on this one. Yes Virgin have improved the frequency of services but with a crap replacement in Voyagers as the rolling stock. They had a golden opportunity back in the 90s to bring in decent rolling stock to replace the 47s and HSTs (High Speed Train) and chose a cheap imitation of a train in plumping for Voyagers which are completely unsuitable and way too short for long distance travel. Having said that Midland Mainline and Hull Trains have proved that you can make something decent out of them instead of allowing an airline person to design the carriage for you. Even first class on voyagers isnt anything to write home about.

I for one am celebrating the fact that Arriva have seen sense and are bringing back HSTs which says it all that a company feels to go back to the tried and tested trusty HST which has indeed stood the test of time and still comes out as one of the best diesel trains ever to run. I hope Arriva point out which services are run as HSTs so I can avoid the Voyagers.

Having written all of the above, it was not about the standard of trains, the smelly toilets, dodgy timetable, overcrowding, fares or punctuality that lost Virgin the franchise...it was money pure and simple! Like I said expect Virgin/Stagecoach to win East Coast. Please don't let Firstgroup get their grubby hands on it.
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 18:56:13 »

If Arriva can provide a service (both in terms of journey opportunities, fares and on-board services) which is equally or better to the current service offered by Virgin, I will be pleased.

No mention as to whether the Cardiff - Newcastle direct service is being retained  Sad
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 00:56:45 »

Hi

It is very easy to look at any rail franchise and identify major failings, and for most of us who use FGW (First Great Western), it is twice as easy.

I am surprised that VXC (Virgin Cross Country - former franchise) lost the franchise because I believe that the Cross Country franchise they have managed over the past ten yours has improved more than any other. The dramatic increase in passenger numbers, in part, confirms this. The rolling stock ten years ago was exceptionally poor, and whilst I accept that Voyagers and Super Voyagers have many critics, I have yet to use one which has broken down, had a power or air con failure. Not something I can say for FGW, not even in the past 6 months.

The timetable did deteriate 2-3 yrs ago after a number of years of improvement. How much of this was Virgin's decision and how much was due to Network Rail/Dft changes I don't know.

The award of the franchise to Arriva has a number of interesting points, the most interesting is the re-introduction of HST (High Speed Train) trains. My major gripe with HST trains is the very poor facilities for the disabled. My wife works with Mencap and whenver she has to plan trips by train, it is a nightmare with FGW. Not all trains has disabled friendly toilets, and those that do only one ONE, typically in coach E. All Voyager, Super Voyager and Pendelino carriages have disabled friendly toilets. I find it shocking that in FGW's refit of its HST rolling stock it was not required to install modern disabled toilets on all carriages; perhaps I'm to niave, FGW/Dft sole goal was to cram as many people onto as few trains as possible. Is this Arriva's plan as well?

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 09:57:46 »

Further links on this.
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2007/07/arriva_wins_cross_country_fran.html#more

http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2007/07/national_express_fails_to_win.html#more

http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2007/07/arriva_to_reintroduce_30_yearo.html#more

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 13:00:01 »

A row has broken out over the fact that the new trains will be minus buffet cars (link below.)
http://thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144913&command=displayContent&sourceNode=231190&home=yes&more_nodeId1=144922&contentPK=17812249

There are also doubts over whether trains will call at Weston - super - Mare (link below.)
http://thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144913&command=displayContent&sourceNode=231190&home=yes&more_nodeId1=144922&contentPK=17810761
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 13:03:36 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 20:29:14 »

i dont think that a trolley providing cold snacks provides a good enough catering service on even a shorter journey as bristol to birmingham, let alone bristol to aberdeen which is one i make regularly!   just think about it, over the 10 hours on board, you could have a sandwich, and a sandwich, and even another sandwich if they havent run out!!!  bring back BR (British Rail(ways))!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 20:45:34 »

i dont think that a trolley providing cold snacks provides a good enough catering service on even a shorter journey as bristol to birmingham, let alone
bristol to aberdeen which is one i make regularly!   just think about it, over the 10 hours on board, you could have a sandwich, and a sandwich, and even another sandwich if they havent run out!!!  bring back BR (British Rail(ways))!
Slowly but surely the rail companies are turning into low cost no thrills airlines. Some examples: catering (or lack of), fares structure (book early) and even the carriage layout! Not forgetting the amount of cancelled or delayed services. Who needs to take to the air when you can have a similar customer experience at 0 feet!
paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 20:46:42 »

the new cross country website at www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk clearly shows that weston is part of the NCC network.  it does not say how many trains will call though!

i am also interested in knowing if the through cardiff - newcastle service is till part of SLC (Service Level Commitment).  (SLC2 in particular).

paulsouthwales

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 20:47:45 »

i dont think that a trolley providing cold snacks provides a good enough catering service on even a shorter journey as bristol to birmingham, let alone
bristol to aberdeen which is one i make regularly!   just think about it, over the 10 hours on board, you could have a sandwich, and a sandwich, and even another sandwich if they havent run out!!!  bring back BR (British Rail(ways))!
Slowly but surely the rail companies are turning into low cost no thrills airlines. Some examples: catering (or lack of), fares structure (book early) and even the carriage layout! Not forgetting the amount of cancelled or delayed services. Who needs to take to the air when you can have a similar customer experience at 0 feet!

i'd agree mate!  its not good Sad
Graz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 09:02:59 »

I don't understand, why was the Cross Country franchise sold to another TOC (Train Operating Company)? Virgin were doing a great job, making more calls at W-S-M and others, had very friendly staff, were constantly upgrading the standard of their trains and network, and lowering prices. Why take it off them when their route was progressing so well? I felt the same thing about Wessex. They were building up a good reputation and a very decent service but were taken over by FGW (First Great Western) and now look what's happened. I don't know why the government feels the need to constantly meddle with things that shouldn't be changed.

Also, their route map is wayyy too crowded on the South West routes...not a good start!  Undecided
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: