27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 02:07:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Handy hints and tips  (Read 11362 times)
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 16:25:12 »

As much as I hate to stand in front of a booking office window trying to sort out cheapest fares I^m afraid that is the only thing to do until the ridiculous fares structure is sorted.

I have every sympathy with the staff, and other waiting passengers, as it took me the best part of 20 minutes running the options in my Ellesmere Port thread. Apparently you can^t split the single to Ellesmere from Bristol via Stoke so paid the separate tickets. And it was only after I said that I could get from Ellesmere to Newport for ^10 after a quote for ^32 (Newport/Filton is certainly less than ^22) did I get the price I was after. All told just over 40 quid for the round trip, from a minimum of ^59.30 for the Off peak return.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 18:26:58 »

As much as I hate to stand in front of a booking office window trying to sort out cheapest fares I^m afraid that is the only thing to do until the ridiculous fares structure is sorted.

Indeed - on the occasions that I use a split ticket I feel somewhat embarrassed.  But ... where the regular fare being offered is very high (I tend to judge in pence per mile) I feel morally as well as legaly justified.  That's not to say that in some cases  there are some on the TransWilts) the fares are so low that they kill the economic case for a train service, and on there I actually wish that the cheaper fares were 25% higher because THAT would make the economic case stack up for a proper service.

I have found that 9 times out of 10 (at least), the operations (at least) the operations staff are very helpful and curteous when asked for split tickets, especially if you're very clear about what you're asking them for.  A tiny minority (and it is a TINY minority) let their disagreement with the splitting system influence their behaviour and will actually attempt to mislead you into buying something more expensive than you need. Thankfully, most of these I am aware of are now resolved / closed cases.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 18:30:22 »

Amusingly, the routing guide can also save some cash. As it stands, Taunton - Bristol Parkway is valid via Westbury

This is priced at ^10.40 Off Peak Day Return

Taunton - Westbury "NOT BRISTOL"

This is priced at ^15.20 Off Peak Day Return

Sheer madness
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 20:07:55 »

Interestingly, the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) also covered this subject of split tickets (suggesting ticket vending machines should offer them), over the weekend!

There are calls for ticket machines at stations to be improved because passengers are often unable to access the cheapest fares.  BBC research suggests that passengers can save almost 40% on some routes if they buy split tickets, or two separate fares for the same journey.

Machines only allow passengers to buy tickets starting where the machine is.

The cheapest fare available on the day from a ticket vending machine for the 0800 from Bristol Temple Meads to London is any Anytime Single priced at ^74.50.

Passengers can buy a single from Bristol to Didcot for ^21.30 and a single from Didcot to London at ^24, giving a saving of ^29.20, or 39%.

The machine, however, will only sell the first portion of that split fare. Split tickets have to be purchased online or at a ticket offices.

For full details, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7861827.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2009, 14:06:50 »

Good to see an ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) spokesman showing their usual flair for inept public relations.

"Split tickets are being used in a way they were not intended for.

"We actually go further than other industries and allow people to buy and use them if requested, but we won't go out of our way to encourage passengers to use them in a way that was not intended when there are other good value-for-money fares available."

The implication is that we should be very grateful that we are allowed to use split tickets at all. I would love to hear him explain how it is good value that you can occupy the same seat, on the same train, for the same journey and with a little ingenuity save 39% on the through fare!

Passenger Focus, as they often are, are spot on on this issue but from what I can tell they seem to be an entirely toothless organization with no actual clout to get the train operators to change anything.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2009, 14:19:04 »

I do sympathise with the ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) view. The machines are designed to sell common tickets easily (hence their limitations) in order to reduce queues.

BUT:

Despite his claims, ticket machines ARE replacing booking offices at some stations.

And booking offices are closed sometimes. In these cases, the machines should be able to sell all tickets.
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2009, 14:25:30 »

Giving people the option to buy a ticket for any journey in Great Britain from a machine is going to cost the TOC (Train Operating Company) revenue as some people would take advantage of this and buy combinations of tickets so I can't see any TOC agreeing to this.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2009, 14:46:52 »

Giving people the option to buy a ticket for any journey in Great Britain from a machine is going to cost the TOC (Train Operating Company) revenue as some people would take advantage of this and buy combinations of tickets so I can't see any TOC agreeing to this.

You can already do this (in a way) if you book online and collect your tickets from a machine.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2009, 14:50:38 »

I have every sympathy with the staff, and other waiting passengers, as it took me the best part of 20 minutes running the options in my Ellesmere Port thread. Apparently you can^t split the single to Ellesmere from Bristol via Stoke so paid the separate tickets. And it was only after I said that I could get from Ellesmere to Newport for ^10 after a quote for ^32 (Newport/Filton is certainly less than ^22) did I get the price I was after. All told just over 40 quid for the round trip, from a minimum of ^59.30 for the Off peak return.

I've choose my tickets online and just hand the booking office staff a list so as to minimise delays.  The alternative of coures is to book online and collect tickets from the machine.  I try and avoid doing this though as I'd rather the booking staff were not replaced by machines although if I have enough time I book online and get the tickets posted to me which I suppose makes me inconsistant
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 15:03:34 »

Exactly - but I think it isn't really A-B-C combinations in particular they are worried about, I suspect they'll never allow it because it aids buying A-B-big gap-C-D tickets. A fraud known colloquially as dumbbelling.

E.g. if you went to a ticket office and asked for Southampton-St Denys and Vauxhall - Waterloo for example, I think they'd have a right to be a bit suspicious.  The commercial rules always have to consider the worst case fraudsters unfortunately...
Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 11:42:32 »

Exactly - but I think it isn't really A-B-C combinations in particular they are worried about, I suspect they'll never allow it because it aids buying A-B-big gap-C-D tickets. A fraud known colloquially as dumbbelling.

E.g. if you went to a ticket office and asked for Southampton-St Denys and Vauxhall - Waterloo for example, I think they'd have a right to be a bit suspicious.  The commercial rules always have to consider the worst case fraudsters unfortunately...
Paul

But you could buy your tickets online and still "dumbbell"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: