21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:33:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[65] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[58] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[26] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Axminster Loop redoubling  (Read 41395 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009, 17:20:01 »

Network Rail have reported start of the work, full info at:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4120&NewsAreaID=2&SearchCategoryID=7

Work has started on the ^20m project to double the track at Axminster
on the Waterloo - Exeter line. Engineers have started clearing three
miles of railway land to make way for the new track.

Work includes:
- Redoubling 1.5miles of track on either side of Axminster station to
create a passing loop
- Improving Axminster station with a new platform, a new footbridge
and lifts
- Strengthening seven bridges and 20 culverts along the route
- Renewing signal equipment by installing 12 new signals, replacing
three miles of signal cables and modernising the signaling panel at
Chard signal box

Paul
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 19:53:15 »

great news!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:00:11 »

Just a shame they aren't putting in a new station at Chard Junction loop while they're at it.
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:46:15 »

Just a shame they aren't putting in a new station at Chard Junction loop while they're at it.

Seconded.  The powers that be need carpeting for that omission.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:51:01 »

Good news - I hope they take it further and double the whole route in time

Just to clarify are they doing 1.5 miles either side of the station i.e. 3 miles in total or just 1.5 miles in total with the station in the middle?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 10:45:03 »

I think it's either side of the station, With the suggested the extra signals it should be possible to get at least two possibly 3 trains on each loop. One waitng to enter next single line, one in station, possibly one entering loop on each line.

Or am I being too optimistic.Will it be one train in each loop at a time?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 17:22:48 »

Good news - I hope they take it further and double the whole route in time

Just to clarify are they doing 1.5 miles either side of the station i.e. 3 miles in total or just 1.5 miles in total with the station in the middle?

A poster in the SWT (South West Trains) yahoo group confirmed the CE trains are delivering to a worksite at 'Axminster Loop 143m 20ch to 146m 13ch', with the station at 144m 41ch, and that is basically the stretch between the two River Axe crossings.

Paul
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 21:10:18 »

tres bien! 'scuse my french!  Smiley
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 21:56:48 »

I think it's either side of the station, With the suggested the extra signals it should be possible to get at least two possibly 3 trains on each loop. One waitng to enter next single line, one in station, possibly one entering loop on each line.

Just a bit too optimistic. It's basically a glorified passing loop, but the recent trend is to make them a bit longer than just a loop in the station, and quite right too. That way, there's a bit more margin for error and hopefully less hanging around if one train is slightly late.

Another recent example is at Merthyr Vale.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 14:08:32 »

It is great news and although I share previous posters' regret that, for the time being, there is no reinstatement of Chard Junction, I am a great believer in encouraging every little step. If greater capacity leads to greater patronage, the impetus for further upgrades will be there.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 19:21:48 »

im sorry i dont understand..... why does chard junction need to be reinstated i admit it would be loverly from an enfusiasts point of view however how many people would this actually benifit?
willc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 01:04:27 »

im sorry i dont understand..... why does chard junction need to be reinstated i admit it would be loverly from an enfusiasts point of view however how many people would this actually benifit?

Because if you are one of the 12,000 people who live in Chard, just three miles away, it would be a lot more convenient to catch a train there than have to get to Axminster (7.5 miles) or Crewkerne (nine miles) especially when trains stand in the loop at Chard Junction for several minutes anyway waiting for a service going the other way to cross them. They could be dropping off and picking up passengers while doing so!
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 07:49:58 »

Because if you are one of the 12,000 people who live in Chard, just three miles away, it would be a lot more convenient to catch a train there than have to get to Axminster (7.5 miles) or Crewkerne (nine miles) especially when trains stand in the loop at Chard Junction for several minutes anyway waiting for a service going the other way to cross them. They could be dropping off and picking up passengers while doing so!

But the trains won't now necessarily cross at Chard?  A longer loop that went all the way to Chard was a proposal at one time but this would have required the level crossings at Broom and Axe to be upgraded as well.  As to custom for a re-opened Chard junction, I'm not sure, I think a lot of people from Chard use Taunton as the range of services/destinations is better from there.

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 12:38:34 »

Just a bit too optimistic. It's basically a glorified passing loop, but the recent trend is to make them a bit longer than just a loop in the station, and quite right too. That way, there's a bit more margin for error and hopefully less hanging around if one train is slightly late.

Another recent example is at Merthyr Vale.

Oh well another case of spoiling the ship for a ha'pth of tar. With 1.5 miles either side of the station you would think it wouldn't cost too much (although the "boiling frogs" syndrome seems to make everything vastly expensive)  to have two sections. One on either end of the loop for trains to wait to enter the single lines and one with a signal at the end of the platforms at Axminister to allow a second train to wait in the station.

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 12:41:02 »

so there are going to be two platforms again?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: