27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:39:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • St Ives Line Closed: November 24, 2008 - November 28, 2008
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: St Ives branch line - engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 60051 times)
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 13:54:28 »

Transport briefing today:

Cornwall weighs up case for 5-car trains to St Ives
Filed 08/01/08 

Trains on the Cornish branch line to St Ives could be lengthened to five-car formations as part of a package of measures being considered by Cornwall County Council.

The local authority has appointed JMP Consulting to develop a business case for a new park and ride facility, designed to address a shortage of car parking spaces, and measures to relieve overcrowding on trains to the resort during the summer months.

See for complete write up: http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/250863347?-10958
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 15:07:34 »

Fair play to them.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 15:30:33 »

I've got a plan!

Redouble the main line along Long Rock into Pz station
Reopen Marazion station.
Run 5-car shuttles along the St Erth-St Ives branch to connect with main line services and in between, extend the shuttle to run St Ives-St Erth-Marazion-Penzance.   
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 15:51:47 »

FGW (First Great Western) have the re-doubling of the line from Long Rock to PNZ on their wish list but I have never seen a date given for it to happen. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere in a Network Rail planning document.

The existing unit can only just cope with a half hourly St.Erth to St.Ives frequency. To extend the service to PNZ would require extra rolling stock to be obtained and paid for - and we all know what the answer to that is.

There is also a very good number 17 [sadly First] half hourly bus from, St. Ives to St.Just via St.Erth and PNZ which is fairly quick.

The existing departure boards at PNZ do not even show the nest train from PNZ  to St.Ives with a change at St.Erth. It is almost as though first ignores this traffic. If it was not for the Council support and interest I get the impression FGW would be quite happy to lose the ST.Ives branch.

Very different from Redruth where the departure boards show Platform 3 which is one of the bus stops outside the station for the T34 bus to Helston and the Lizard known as ' The Helston Branch Line'.
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 16:18:16 »

I don't see Long Rock getting doubled any time soon as there isn't enough space and I don't think there is that much demand as it is so close to a terminus and a small section. Not like the Burngallow section which could take 30 mins for a train to get through after being stopped because of it.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 17:27:21 »

FGW (First Great Western) have the re-doubling of the line from Long Rock to PNZ on their wish list but I have never seen a date given for it to happen. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere in a Network Rail planning document.

Network Rail Business Plan 2007 (see quote below) :

Long Rock - Penzance re - doubling comes under "Route enhancement aspirations" (Page 20 of the link below.)
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/BusinessPlan2007/PDF/Route%2012%20Reading%20to%20Penzance.pdf

Lowest priority , dont expect anything to happen soon.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 18:01:27 »

The existing unit can only just cope with a half hourly St.Erth to St.Ives frequency. To extend the service to PNZ would require extra rolling stock to be obtained and paid for - and we all know what the answer to that is.

There is also a very good number 17 [sadly First] half hourly bus from, St. Ives to St.Just via St.Erth and PNZ which is fairly quick.

The existing departure boards at PNZ do not even show the nest train from PNZ  to St.Ives with a change at St.Erth. It is almost as though first ignores this traffic. If it was not for the Council support and interest I get the impression FGW would be quite happy to lose the ST.Ives branch.

Very different from Redruth where the departure boards show Platform 3 which is one of the bus stops outside the station for the T34 bus to Helston and the Lizard known as ' The Helston Branch Line'.

Farwest you make a valid point about the departure monitors, Penzances does ignore the connection for St Ives, and whilst Redruth mentions the bus to Helston, St Austell shows buses, FGW ones (run by Truroian) to Eden Project,  and Bodmin Parkway show buses to Wadebridge and Padstow but these are NOT connections but (bus) services that start at these Stations.
The whole information system Ex-Wessex fails to show connections, indeed even the Ex FGW systems fail to show connections.
Unless the announcement is made Manually, all Train Running Information made by the Auto systems FAIL to say Change at Cfor D, E for F etc.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 18:44:33 »

FGW (First Great Western) make a fortune from the St Ives branch between St Erth and St Ives, the fare on the branch is a flat fare of ^4 which is a St Ives line rover, in the summer months the trains run from Lelant Saltings to St Ives completely full as a four car, every half hour! the service is modelled around the majority which is park and ride traffic from Lelant Saltings therefore connections take a second priority,when I last saw some figures it showed something like 93% of passengers on the branch are travelling between St Erth/Saltings/Carbis Bay and St Ives with a tiny percentage using the mainline connections! If you don't believe me then take a trip on there at about 1100 one weekday this August!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 18:46:19 »

Have to agree, they are almost empty leaving St Erth, although it didn't fill it that much from the P&R (Park and Ride)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 18:47:38 »

Have to agree, they are almost empty leaving St Erth, although it didn't fill it that much from the P&R (Park and Ride)
It will be empty this time of year, but summer is another story!
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 19:07:28 »

I beleive the St Ives branch has the Highest Summer/Winter loading Ratio of Any Train Service in Britain today, (talking Network Rail of Course).

It's something Manic like 450! Vacman you agree?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 19:53:49 »

I beleive the St Ives branch has the Highest Summer/Winter loading Ratio of Any Train Service in Britain today, (talking Network Rail of Course).

It's something Manic like 450! Vacman you agree?
I think it's more than that, around 80% of daytrippers to St Ives in summer arrive by train, I bet there aren't any other towns in Britain that can compare to that!
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 07:06:30 »

Fair points, qprule, and a reality check that the last thing most companies are thinking about is maximising the potential service (to the community or the environment) that railways can offer.

I'm not sure that the bus is as attractive an alternative during the summer months when the bottlenecks into St Ives and Penzance can be quite something.

It is a shame that the St Ives connection isn't better publicised at Penzance. There may be little through traffic between St Ives branch & "up country" services but I'd have thought that there is some potential for local tourist St Ives-Penzance traffic. Still, if the line is at capacity now with a four-car unit, there wouldn't be much use in encouraging more users, I suppose.

(ps - it's a smart marketing tool but the "Helston Branch line" name irritates me every time I see it - because it isn't the REAL one  Cry)

FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 13:48:41 »

Strange you should say that about the branch line connection direction.

I regularly travel from Truro to St.Ives and that always seems to be the busiest direction. In the morning especially in the summer there are lots of day trippers who come down from the Plymouth direction and go to St.Ives and then out on the coast path.

With the timekeeping of main line trains it is hardly worth using the train from St.Ives to PNZ with a change at ST.Erth even with the summer traffic the bus is still miles quicker. If the main line timekeeping was reliable this would be a different matter.
oooooo

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 16:18:48 »

What bugs me about the current winter SIV service on a Sunday is its pretty much hourly. Why on earth cant you run it hourly PNZ to/from SIV on a Sunday, would surely capture much more trade (if actually marketed), faster than bus and far more scenic..... (even if not possible in the summer)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: