10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
15:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:37:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • St Ives Line Closed: November 24, 2008 - November 28, 2008
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: St Ives branch line - engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 59881 times)
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2008, 21:09:35 »

If you think most people drive from St Ives then you really know nothing about the town and the branch! the reason why the St Ives branch is so busy in the summer is because people physicly can't drive into the town after about 1000! it would be better to run more trains to Penzance in winter, but not summer as any less than half hourly on the branch would not cope, and before anyone says about half hourly St Ives to Penzance, then yes, great idea, but we'll need another 2x150's to do it as any less than 4 car won't cope in summer.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2008, 21:14:48 »

If you think most people drive from St Ives then you really know nothing about the town and the branch! the reason why the St Ives branch is so busy in the summer is because people physicly can't drive into the town after about 1000! it would be better to run more trains to Penzance in winter, but not summer as any less than half hourly on the branch would not cope, and before anyone says about half hourly St Ives to Penzance, then yes, great idea, but we'll need another 2x150's to do it as any less than 4 car won't cope in summer.

I don't think anyone in this thread so far has thought that. Huh

But you are right, I have seen the huge queues at St Ives as well. That is why the P&R (Park and Ride) is so well used. Some people whp never use the railway, use it then!

It is a shame they knocked down the station and cut it back to make way for a car park... Angry
Karl

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2008, 00:26:42 »

Morning

According to some info I've got, the buildings at
St. Ives were made history circa 23rd May 1971.

The station composed of a single line with double
platform's (as per PLT 1 at Horstead Keynes "Bluebell
Railway"), with the middle platform having another
line, making that one assesable both sides.  The
station also had a goods shed with sidings (behind the
platforms), plus a single road engine shed beyond the
low viaduct at the St. Erth end; all these obviously on
the land side of the bay.

Also this line was intially part of Beechings Axe,
but lets not forget Barbara Castle as well.  I
think it did acually close for a couple/few years
but 100% sure?

Also I believe there is a 'heritge scheme' involving
St. Erth station, as per whats happened recently at
Penmere.

Regards

karl.
Karl

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2008, 01:12:23 »

Found a pic of the old station, bay I mentioned as
per 'Hostead Keynes', isn't quite as long as I intially
thought.  Its adjacent to the coaches in the bacground.

Link:

http://www.urban75.org/photos/stives/st-ives-station.html

Regards

Karl. 
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2008, 07:18:21 »

Many thanks for finding the picture of St Ives station as it was Karl. Wow it was quite a station once upon a time to what it is now.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2008, 09:08:49 »

Also this line was intially part of Beechings Axe,
but lets not forget Barbara Castle as well.  I
think it did acually close for a couple/few years
but 100% sure?

I believe that St Ives survived without a "closure break" (correct me if I am wrong) but I am reminded of your neck of woods and Falmouth Docks station, which was closed on 7 December 1970 when Falmouth Town station was opened.

Falmouth Docks station was reopened on 5 May 1975.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
John R

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2008, 11:01:00 »

There was a temporary closure for 3 months in early 73 between St Ives and Carbis Bay, which may have been whilst they vandalised the station at St Ives as shown in the pictures below. No complete closure though.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2008, 11:23:48 »

I can understand the track rationalisation. I think it was the right thing to do, to keep costs down and preserve the branch's future.

But to cut the station back further away from the town, and to take the building down was bad.

The car park is not even "for BR (British Rail(ways)) passengers only," it is public.

Any car parking created by track rationalisation should have been for the exclusive use for BR passengers, thereby attracting more.

But I suppose BR made a bomb from what they did! And arguably, the branch is as busy as ever now.

Does anyone have a timetable for St Ives in the past (perhaps the 30s, or 50s)? How long has it had 2tph? i think the Cornish Riviera had a few coaches coming to St Ives.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2008, 13:44:05 »

Wessex Trains Press Release on the introduction of a half-hourly train service on the St Ives Bay Line (21/03/2005, link below.)
http://www.atoc-comms.org/dynamic/toc-press-story/124454/Trains-every-half-hour-to-st-ives

SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) archive link (20 January 2005, last updated 26 July 2005)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/strategyfinance/strategy/community/pilot/stivestosterth

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2008, 13:56:58 »

Wessex Trains Press Release on the introduction of a half-hourly train service on the St Ives Bay Line (21/03/2005, link below.)
http://www.atoc-comms.org/dynamic/toc-press-story/124454/Trains-every-half-hour-to-st-ives

SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) archive link (20 January 2005, last updated 26 July 2005)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/strategyfinance/strategy/community/pilot/stivestosterth

Thanks, v interesting.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2008, 15:17:28 »

Summer of 69 it had 13 trains on a weekday including a 2hr+ gap in the middle of the day. 8 trains on summer sundays.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2008, 18:01:49 »

In Summer 1957, there were 17 trains to St Ives, 16 to St Erth; on Saturdays that increased to 21 & 17.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2008, 18:28:04 »

So even before the mothballing/axing of the railways, St Ives did not have the service it has today!
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2008, 23:38:55 »

St Ives was due to close in 1966 or 67 (after the initial Beeching wave), I'm led to believe it was meant to close at the same time as Wadebridge, Padstow, Tavvy and Looe but St Ives and Looe were reprieved at the last minute, i.e. only a couple of weeks before scheduled closure, Barbera Castle reprived the line. The line was shut partly in 73 I believe whilst a new pipeline was built under the line near St Ives, although, I cannot be sure of any of the above but i've heard about it from many people.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2008, 00:03:17 »

Thanks for that useful background information, vacman.

(Like me, you're probably too young to remember the 1960's  Wink Cheesy Grin )

Seriously, though: what would Wadebridge, Padstow and Tavistock be like now, with the benefit of rail links that hadn't been ripped up??  As we've seen, it's far easier to close a branch line than it is to reopen it.  Huh

Talking of Cornwall branch lines closed in the Beeching era, I see that the restoration of the branch line to Helston is doing well: see http://thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144143&command=displayContent&sourceNode=144131&contentPK=20734573&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: