I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:51:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • St Ives Line Closed: November 24, 2008 - November 28, 2008
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: St Ives branch line - engineering work, closures, incidents (merged topics)  (Read 58725 times)
cornishman

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2008, 00:52:40 »

the half hourly timetable was the best thing that happened to the branch perfect for moving large passenger numbers all thats needed to make it right is to sought out the fares Wink
cornishman

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2008, 01:04:58 »

word of warning to anyone traveling on the st ives on saturday the new postcard type timetable is wrong they have just copied the mon to fri times which are different to saturdays.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2008, 09:48:37 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) website :

09:22 St Ives to St Erth due 09:35

This train has been cancelled.This is due to animals on the line earlier.

09:41 St Erth to St Ives due 09:55

This train has been cancelled.This is due to animals on the line earlier.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2008, 11:00:13 »

Reminds me of something Victoria Wood joked once about trains on the Thurso line having to stop for deer, every so often there'd be the crush of antler on sleeper and 10 minutes later a range of venison sarnies would appear on the buffet trolley.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2008, 20:26:13 »

Train hit a dog and injured it's leg, the traincrew picked up the dog and took it to Penzance where a vet was called, last I heard the dog had it's leg amputated but was recovering as well as could be expected!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2008, 20:31:11 »

Well done to the traincrew involved from me.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2008, 01:08:30 »

Train hit a dog and injured it's leg, the traincrew picked up the dog and took it to Penzance where a vet was called, last I heard the dog had it's leg amputated but was recovering as well as could be expected!

Was trying to work out what could have been hit as cattle are not common on that route - paragliders get in the way sometimes but dogs commonly race the train up and down the incline past West Cornwall Golf course at Lelant.

Chris2

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2008, 16:48:42 »

Well done to the traincrew for picking up the dog from me.
willc

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2008, 01:14:38 »

If it had been Norway, the dog might not have made it to the vet...

Trains operating out in the wilds there used to carry rifles in the driver's cab in case they struck an elk (moose to our North American cousins) or reindeer in the north of the country. The idea was that they could finish the animal off if it was injured and unable to move, since there was no way to get a vet out to do the job in the back of beyond.

The guns were removed on security grounds a couple of years ago, because of a switch to DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) and EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) operation of almost all pasenger trains (in case a passenger somehow got into the cab and grabbed a gun), but the train drivers' union protested about the decision and there was a nasty incident last year when a herd of reindeer was hit by a freight train, which prompted a rethink.

On the Nordlandsbanen (Trondheim-Bodo) and Rorosbanen (secondary route between Trondheim and Oslo), both particularly prone to animal strikes, rifles have now been put back in the cabs, but the driver has to pick up a rifle bolt when signing on for duty and is only allowed to fit it to the gun when needed to deal with an injured animal.

Having lived in Norway for a while in the 1990s, I almost saw a demonstration of the system in action on the Rorosbanen, in the east of the country, when the DMU I was travelling on had a near-miss with an elk. The first I knew was when the emergency brake went on. When we had pulled up, the driver reversed back, just in time for us to see a rather dazed elk picking itself up from the snow and stumbling off into the trees.

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2008, 12:29:32 »

From Monday 24 until approximately 1600 on Friday 28 November 2008 buses will be replacing trains between St Erth and St Ives (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=3326

chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2009, 19:19:35 »

Live updates has started listing the current shortforming (1 coach).
This is silly as it's 4/3/2/1 according to seasonal demand and has been 1 unit for a while.

Doing this all day/every day makes live updates a bit hard to read.

Also having 1 unit isn't going to inconvenience anyone.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2009, 19:42:36 »

The people in Swindon wouldn't have a clue whether or not the St Ives branch is busy in winter  Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2009, 21:08:59 »

The people in Swindon wouldn't have a clue whether or not the St Ives branch is busy in winter  Cheesy

Surely ... with the St Ives Festival on 1st February to celebrate the founding of the town by St Ia, it will be seriously busy.  Between the parade and the hurling, the use of a "153" would be seriously stretched, and London - Penzance trains will be extended to serve Carbis Bay and St Ives stations - something which would not have been possible under the old multiple franchise arrangements and before the introduction of selective door opening  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2009, 21:35:02 »

Surely ... with the St Ives Festival on 1st February to celebrate the founding of the town by St Ia, it will be seriously busy.  Between the parade and the hurling, the use of a "153" would be seriously stretched, and London - Penzance trains will be extended to serve Carbis Bay and St Ives stations - something which would not have been possible under the old multiple franchise arrangements and before the introduction of selective door opening  Grin

Feast Monday so it's the 2nd.

I don't think the Signaller at St Erth would be very amused if a sunday morning 8+2 came up from Penzance with it's left turn indicator blinking - no diagrams till after midday.

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2009, 21:53:15 »

I don't think the Signaller at St Erth would be very amused if a sunday morning 8+2 came up from Penzance with it's left turn indicator blinking - no diagrams till after midday.

Who is this signaller at St Earth, I thought signallers stood on the back of the bridge of warship in war films saying "Aye Aye Sir"  and being first to be killed when the shell lands and aren't they usually Cockneys?

Do you mean the the signalman on duty in St. Earth signal box?

When my grandmother was Mayor of Southampton in 1951 she was "Mr. Mayor" and woe betide anyone who forgot to address her in that way.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: