Delayed
04:53 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
05:00 Reading to Redhill
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 06:25:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[271] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[95] You see all sorts on the bus.
[92] "Mayflower"
[85] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[57] Death of another bus station?
[34] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You couldn't make it up!  (Read 4562 times)
whistleblower

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2007, 13:22:41 »

A Funny Story (unless you were involved!).  On Sunday evening a steam-hauled special failed at Westbury.  It was heading to London with 400 people on a very special day out.  The special was declared a total failure and it was decided that all these people would join the next HST (High Speed Train) to Paddington departing from platform 3 at 2130.  Can you imagine what Westbury might have looked like with more than 400 disgruntled people on the platform?

The HST had departed from Castle Cary on time but had still not arrived at Westbury before the Weymouth service left at 2138 - from platform 3!  My friend was driving this and the rest of the story is his.  It took several minutes for 400 people to try and climb on to the Weymouth, assuming it was the Paddington service, and for the staff to try and get them off again.  Eventually they left for Frome and had an uneventful journey as far as Bruton when they had, unusually, a double yellow signal to slow them down.  This co-incided with an emergency call for the train behind him to come to an immediate halt.  My friend proceeded slowly over the crest of the hill and saw flashing headlights on the up line and moving silhouettes in front of them.  He came to a halt and as the headlights came closer he realised that it was the missing HST and in front of it were three cows meandering up the line.  The HST driver stopped to speak to my friend, who was in stitches of laughter, and said "It's not funny - I've been following them for 5 miles!"  He didn't have the heart to tell him what was waiting at Westbury!

For some time afterwards, there were hilarious radio messages asking the HST driver to try speeding up to nudge them out of the way or blowing the horn, but none of it worked and he had to follow them from Castle Cary to Bruton before they moved off the track.

Can you imagine the number of complaints inundating customer services.  Poor FGW (First Great Western) - trying to run a railway alongside steam engines and cows.  What chance have they got?
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 16:04:13 »

I have seen the platform with 200 odd people on it, that was on a Sunday when a HST (High Speed Train) got "bricked" in Trowbridge, and all pax had to transfer to the next down!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
peter.peterclarke

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 00:03:10 »

Actually, we customers did once speculate that each train had a writer in residence to do precisily that ie make up excuses as to why we were delayed.  In one case after a 15 minute pause between Paddington and Slough we were told there was a failed frieght train at Slough (so cearly not FGW (First Great Western)'s fault as they didn't run freight) however as we passed through Slough some time later we could see the failed train which was as FGW Adelante, noted for their reliability.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 07:49:59 »

Actually, we customers did once speculate that each train had a writer in residence to do precisily that ie make up excuses as to why we were delayed.  In one case after a 15 minute pause between Paddington and Slough we were told there was a failed frieght train at Slough (so cearly not FGW (First Great Western)'s fault as they didn't run freight) however as we passed through Slough some time later we could see the failed train which was as FGW Adelante, noted for their reliability.

Welcome to the board, Peter.  The "best" stories are usually the true ones, in that you couldn't really make them up ... I love Whisleblower's story of the cows and the steam excursion and I have every sympathy for FGW in all their job roles when such things happen - and I think Joe Public has too if he's informed and aware of the issues they're working to resolve.

It's when there's a "blame" culture showing through the cracks, where there's a complete lack of any information / feedback, or where the excuses are parently incorrect that it really gets the passenger's goat, me thinks.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: