19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:24:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this good news  (Read 23452 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2011, 17:17:26 »

I suspect that these new 5car units (did it get reported here that there are to be 5car electrics as well as bi-mode, as well as 8car electrics?) will be high capacity seating a la HST (High Speed Train), rather than the current 180 seating.

The longer carriages were reported to "increase capacity" at TravelWatch so it's a good bet to suggest that a five car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) would carry rather more people than a 5 car 180.    Also at TravelWatch, I very specifically listed to and noted considerable detail.  There was talk of all the carriages in service on any day normally being formed into 5 car bimodes or 8 car electrics - an implication (to me) that there is no plan for any other units such as 5 car electric.   Did I misunderstand something, or have things moved?

Thinking about it, a five car bimode and a 5 car electric working together could do some sensible things ... 10 car to Cardiff, electric cars left there, 5 car to Swansea.  Until "this train is in reverse order today"  Undecided

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
willc

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 23:08:58 »

I remember the 5 car Adelantes, that in theory were going to run as 10 car trains to increase capacity. In fact a single 5 car unit was used instead of an 8 car HST (High Speed Train).
I remember standing from Castle Cary in a 5 car Adelante to London (buses instead of trains from Taunton, numerous bus fulls of customers attempting to find seats on a new shorter train. I know of no reason why a full length train could not have been used)

Sorry, where do you get this from? The Adelantes were always intended to be used as five-car formations most of the time, with 10-car trains formed up for a number of peak workings. They operated in this manner pretty much the entire time FGW (First Great Western) ran them. And when they worked on the main line for the first few years, they were being used to provide extra services, not 'instead of' HSTs

Given that you mention buses, presumably the occasion you refer to was a Sunday - perhaps an HST failed? Perhaps someone thought a 180 was better than leaving people stuck at Castle Cary? Who knows?

The other drawback of new shorter trains is that it is seldom viable to have a proper hot buffet, and certainly not a restaurant. The provision of 2 full buffets would be excesive, and having some trains with catering and others without would be too complicated. Better to just have a trolley !

Now remind me, exactly how many full restaurant services does FGW operate? Indeed from May the only proper mainline restaurant services left in the UK (United Kingdom). Er, four, on a route that will continue to be served by HSTs. Travelling Chef type meals may pose more of a challenge but the eight-car sets would probably be able to accommodate decent catering space - and FGW is now a bit of an oddity in offering anything like this type of catering to standard class, even across a buffet counter, so with another operator a trolley might be all you would get anyway, whereas FGW provided a decent mini-buffet in 180s, far superior to the awful Voyager 'shop', and has provided something similar in the 2+7 HSTs.

Seating capacity-wise, a refreshed 'low' density eight-car HST is about 470 seats, with a 'high' density 2+8 just over 520. With loss of some first class seats and a few standard ones to the mini-buffet, a 2+7 may be 500-ish. A 180 is about 280 seats, so 560 for a 10-car pairing. As for 165s, I would challenge ChrisB to fit 275 incarnations of himself comfortably into a 165!

A fact sheet was released by Agility last year http://www.agilitytrains.com/assets/pdf/AT-090205-Key_Facts-Released-1_5.pdf referring to previous versions of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) - but still with 26m coaches - gave a capacity of 351 seats for a high-density five-car electric set, which is probably the basis for the bi-mode with underfloor engines (probably not allowing for a buffet, but even if you did fit one, still plenty more than a 180 (a 5-car 221 is 250 seats). The then 10-car 'self-propelled' set, ie an HST replacement with power cars at either end and with eight passenger coaches, seated 550 in Inter-City configuration, while an 'inter-urban' layout pushed that to 580.

There is no plan to build anything for IEP now other than 8-car all-electric sets and 5-car bi-modes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 23:25:29 by willc » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:46 »

Don't forget that IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is also coming to the East Coast. These 5car electrics may all be for there?....

I know where I saw these mentioned, but need to check back to see where it was being quoted from....
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2011, 15:00:49 »

Another point about the 'East Coast' route is that the plans might include the FCC (First Capital Connect) service from Kings Cross to Cambridge and Kings Lynn again, now that it has been decided that Thameslink is not covering that route beyond Cambridge.

What I'm suggesting is that there is a potential use for 5 car all-electric IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) that doesn't involve the 'intercity' services.

Paul 
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2011, 19:12:27 »

there was a point in my question about where these are being built taking into account the sad situation out there at the moment
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2011, 09:57:47 »

Aaahh, indeed.

THe Hitachi factory isn't in the affected area, AFAIK (as far as I know). Power supply is currently an issue, but then again, no order has yet been actually placed has it?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: