09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 08:26:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking forward to the next ten years  (Read 8525 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:56:02 »

I've replaced the images at the top of "The Coffee Shop" with a new series, which I have entitled "looking forward to the next ten years".  Train services specified this year will the ones that see us into the start of that decade, and here's hoping that it's a positive one.  For starters, lets fix the scandal of the TransWilts, where there's currently an abysmal service that is totally inappropriate to the needs of the wannabe passengers.  Let's develop public rail transport to serve the half dozen or so places in the South West where the are cases crying out to be taken forward, and for which there is active support. And lets look to strengthening the current network too - redoubling of The Cotswold line is coming, as is redevelopment of Reading ... looking further ahead, there's schemes such as the Bicester curve and Kemble, electrification and extra rolling stock too. From the small such as an extra platform face at Chippenham, to the large such as the East West link and Crossrail.

In some areas, First have done an excellent job of improving services in the last year or two, and they deserve full credit for that.  And their operations staff are second to none.  But in just a few cases, they have not really carried through to delivery.  It's all very well talking (and talking for years!) about a decent TransWilts service or replacing information points, but people in these parts haven't yet learned the trick of travelling on words - they need real trains!

There are a number of groups who are active behind the scenes - you'll see a couple of them cropping up in the images - who are looking forward and saying "where should we be in a few years time", and I'm meaning both the campaiging groups and the official too; there was a notable announcement from the Secratary of State for Transport recently that improvements made over the next few years will be built into the next generation of franchises - a green light to put in real improvements which will be both made and maintained.

There will be general elections - at least two of them, and one within the next 18 months. And as I write this , it seems probable that there will be a change of government (not so sure about a change in direction!) Also in the next ten years, all the existing franchises in the area (except Chiltern? on our fringes) are going to be re-let, and indeed there's an opportunity prior to that point for some services to be run under Open Access agreements, and for elements of transfer on lines where there are already several operators - you'll find representative pictures of these on the top of the pages too.

Running a railway is hideously complex, and probably needs to be so. But at times I feel that we have needless extra layers of complexity on top of it. Do we really need to have quite so many people who must talk to each other?   Do we really need to have as many different fares as we do?  It feels like a pantomime!  You'll find there are some pantomime pictures mixed into our header set, with a number of colourful characters - some goodies and some baddies ... and an audience of customers, sitting there watching the show and invited to contribute, but only where the producer and player want that contribution.

Mr Hopwood (Managing Director, First Great Western) - please help us, the travellers in the South West, to travel as we aspire in the next few years.  Deliver, starting with the TransWilts where the current service is nothing short of criminally inadequate, and you'll here a strong, positive shout of they're behind you ... and that will be from the travelling public, no less.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 17:13:16 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 20:24:54 »

Thanks for an interesting analysis, Grahame. Smiley

I think Crossrail will have a HUGE effect on the FGW (First Great Western)/Thames Valley area - as XR (Crossrail) trains will take up the slow lines.

Everything must be done to ensure other services between Maidenhead and Paddington are not axed, slowed down or made less reliable. If this means installing another track or two (/loops) for part of the route, they need to start planning now.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 14:42:13 »

Thanks for an interesting analysis, Grahame. Smiley

I think Crossrail will have a HUGE effect on the FGW (First Great Western)/Thames Valley area - as XR (Crossrail) trains will take up the slow lines.

Everything must be done to ensure other services between Maidenhead and Paddington are not axed, slowed down or made less reliable. If this means installing another track or two (/loops) for part of the route, they need to start planning now.

I thought the whole point about Crossrail was that there is no planned change to longer distance LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) services to/from west of Maidenhead. The main reason 14 tph terminate at Paddington, 4 go to Heathrow, and only 6 run beyond, is that there is no capacity for more Crossrail trains on the slow lines...

Paul
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 16:19:30 »

Yes, but from my understanding, only XR (Crossrail) trains will operate on the slow lines, meaning FGW (First Great Western)'s slower services to Oxford, Banbury etc. will have to take the fast lines east of Maidenhead - thus eating up capacity.

Another problem is the termination of services at Maidenhead. If this goes ahead, there may be service cuts at Bedwyn and longer distance trains may be slowed down as they make more calls at Bedwyn/Maidenhead as a result.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 16:25:56 »

How on earth will the go on the fast lines? This will be chaos for more important long distance services. Besides, past Airport Junction, there aren't any paths as it is!
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 19:20:52 »

Whatever operational decisions are taken for CrossRail, perhaps it is worth considering that it is a London-centric project.  As such, the system will be geared up to deliver passengers from/to the dormitory suburbs and the big city.  Any improvements outside that ambit, experienced by outlying stations will IMO (in my opinion), be coincidental, or at best somewhat grudgingly provided, though nevertheless welcome.  And...despite all the hoo haa; even if CrossRail does reach Reading, it will still be quicker for a passenger from there to say... Liverpool St., to catch a fast service to Pad and change to the Underground.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 20:01:16 »

How on earth will the go on the fast lines? This will be chaos for more important long distance services. Besides, past Airport Junction, there aren't any paths as it is!

That's exactly my point! Unless something is done, expresses WILL be slowed down.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 21:23:06 »

And of course all the freight will also be on the Main's during the day.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 21:26:55 »

Reopen the Oxford-Thame-Princes Risborough line and redouble Ruislip to Old Oak Junction; reinstate the through lines at Princes Risborough, Beaconsfield, Denham, Ruislip. Should take the heat off the Thames Valley line.

Pity about the Gerrards Cross through lines. Don't suppose Tesco could be told to "go away" as I gather many residents would have liked.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 21:46:20 »

I forgot about freight!

Something needs to be done. Otherwise, HSS (High Speed Services) will have to be AXED to release paths. I suppose the HX could be axed/reduced...

The only other possibility is to terminate Oxford slows at Reading/Maidenhead. Or extend XR (Crossrail) to Banbury.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 21:59:56 »

Pity about the Gerrards Cross through lines. Don't suppose Tesco could be told to "go away" as I gather many residents would have liked.

The 'Tesco tunnel' allows for four tracking. It is in their Q&A somewhere...

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 22:07:21 »

Yes, but from my understanding, only XR (Crossrail) trains will operate on the slow lines, meaning FGW (First Great Western)'s slower services to Oxford, Banbury etc. will have to take the fast lines east of Maidenhead - thus eating up capacity.

All this is covered by Crossrail evidence, as you'd expect, and I think you have got it wrong. There is a summary here:

http://billdocuments.crossrail.co.uk/files/Home/Home3/06.Information%20Papers/File_Downloads/A3%20Capacity%20on%20the%20Great%20Western%20Main%20Line.pdf

Their words: "During normal operation it is not anticipated that any trains at present using the relief lines will be displaced to the fast lines as a result of Crossrail."

Paul
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 22:13:29 »

I forgot about freight!

Something needs to be done. Otherwise, HSS (High Speed Services) will have to be AXED to release paths. I suppose the HX could be axed/reduced...

The only other possibility is to terminate Oxford slows at Reading/Maidenhead. Or extend XR (Crossrail) to Banbury.
I believe Hex will still be operating

The Oxford slows will be, I think not sure on this, at Slough which is the thing that annoys Twyford passengers as they will have to change to get to London also any Reading passengers who want to got intermediate stops between Maidenhead and London will need to change

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 22:41:59 »

All this is covered by Crossrail evidence, as you'd expect, and I think you have got it wrong. There is a summary here:

http://billdocuments.crossrail.co.uk/files/Home/Home3/06.Information%20Papers/File_Downloads/A3%20Capacity%20on%20the%20Great%20Western%20Main%20Line.pdf

Their words: "During normal operation it is not anticipated that any trains at present using the relief lines will be displaced to the fast lines as a result of Crossrail."

Paul

Well, they have changed their minds, because I read a document once which clearly stated that XR would "take over" the slow lines.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 11:16:05 »

I forgot about freight!

I believe Hex will still be operating

The Oxford slows will be, I think not sure on this, at Slough which is the thing that annoys Twyford passengers as they will have to change to get to London also any Reading passengers who want to got intermediate stops between Maidenhead and London will need to change

At a recent meeting of the the RCTS where we had a Crossrail presentation the poor presenter who had only been in the job three months was told in no uncertain terms that Crossrail does not work West of London and causes massive disruption to the current pattern of commuting and leisure travel on the GMWL main and relief lines. In particular  to well used trains from West of Maidenhead to station to Ealing Broadway and vice versa.

If there are no stopping services from the West of Maidenhead to Paddington then even humble Taplow loses out. Currently either by changing in London (a hassle) or Reading I can get  to most stations in GB (Great Britain) with only 1 or two changes. Are people going to get on at Taplow change at Maidenhead then Reading?

G.uard sums it up admirably.

Whatever operational decisions are taken for CrossRail, perhaps it is worth considering that it is a London-centric project.  As such, the system will be geared up to deliver passengers from/to the dormitory suburbs and the big city.  Any improvements outside that ambit, experienced by outlying stations will IMO (in my opinion), be coincidental, or at best somewhat grudgingly provided, though nevertheless welcome.  And...despite all the hoo haa; even if CrossRail does reach Reading, it will still be quicker for a passenger from there to say... Liverpool St., to catch a fast service to Pad and change to the Underground.

Even better than the underground for passengers to Liverpool Street is to cross to Eastbourne Terrace to catch the next one of the 14 tph Crossrail turnround trains which they have just passed in the sidings at Westbourne Park this will be empty, so they don't have to travel with the hoi poli from Maidenhead eastwards.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: