Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:57:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone else miss the NOISY old HSTs?  (Read 20375 times)
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2009, 21:49:36 »

Is it a bit soon to get nostalgic about the pre-upgrade HST (High Speed Train) engines?
In no particular order, experiences it is no longer possible to experience:
  • Being slightly awestruck by an everyday machine.
  • Trying to make a mobile call at Reading station and giving up as each departing train obliterates anything else that dares to call itself sound.
  • The eruption of impenetrable black smoke produced as one coughed into life, almost as if some enormous squid has filled the station with airborne ink.
  • The distant whine of the 0730 to Paddington reminding me that I really should have gotten out of bed some time ago.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 22:13:58 »

Might I suggest a trip to Sunderland on Grand Central who still use the noisy powercars with the collosal turbo.
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 23:13:46 »

I thought everyone preferred the deafening screams of Paxman Valentas at full chat to these new-fangled MTU (Motor Traction Unit) things.

There are some good clips on YouTube to help you feel nostalgic including a few full-chat through Didcot jobs.

The MTUs don't produce the same amount of clag either but I suppose we are not allowed to complain about that on environmental grounds.
chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 23:43:46 »

Something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ICcOu0NkM&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayList&p=AEE85EAB076A34B2&playnext=1&index=44

I used to work about a mile from St Erth, the HSTs (High Speed Train) used to sprint out Hayle and notch down opposite me - the diesel noise faded out leaving you with the gradual wind down of the turbo scream - marvellous.

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:03:52 »

I'm in my thirties and I've got this strange feeling that HSTs (High Speed Train) will be the first train that I feel nostalgic about.  I hope we get some painted back to the yellow and blue livery before they are withdrawn
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 16:10:03 »

I'm in my thirties and I've got this strange feeling that HSTs (High Speed Train) will be the first train that I feel nostalgic about.  I hope we get some painted back to the yellow and blue livery before they are withdrawn

And back to the original seating configuration! That would really show up the Pendelinos  Vomiters et al!

I don't hold hold out much hope for the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) either.

Perhaps we should have a vote, HST the finiest train BR (British Rail(ways)) ever built? Although I liked the post war loco hauled Pullmans used on the West and East Coast in the late 60s.

Of course even the HST pales compared with a DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) ICE2. 

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 18:48:58 »

What I think is amazing about the HST (High Speed Train) is that it has 2 Power Cars that are over 70 Tonnes. It then has 8 Carriages, Passengers, Luggage etc. The HST is capable of 125MPH. For a design in the 70's to achieve that speed with the shear weight of all the power cars and carriages, I think, is Pretty Impressive Grin

On Topic, Yes I missed the noise of a good old Paxman Valenta. Although it's bad for the enviornment, I think the thick black smoke really showed just how hard these magnificant trains work Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 21:58:40 »

What I think is amazing about the HST (High Speed Train) is that it has 2 Power Cars that are over 70 Tonnes. It then has 8 Carriages, Passengers, Luggage etc. The HST is capable of 125MPH. For a design in the 70's to achieve that speed with the shear weight of all the power cars and carriages, I think, is Pretty Impressive Grin

On Topic, Yes I missed the noise of a good old Paxman Valenta. Although it's bad for the enviornment, I think the thick black smoke really showed just how hard these magnificant trains work Grin
They were in essance a 1960's design the prototype being run in the early 1970's.

The Valenta engine was not designed for a traction loading hence many of its problems in the early days.  The traction power system was a break from previous diesel electrics using an alternator and not a DC (Direct Current) generator although the traction motors are still a DC series wound motor they do not use field diverts and the power control is electronic

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:03:14 »

Agreed 70 tonnes seems heavy for a power car but it's less than a 20 ton axle load.

Remember their contempories like the 40 and 45 weighed in at well over 100 tonnes but the 40s were about the same horsepower and the 45 around 500 hp more and both classes had to be carried on 4 axle bogies and were pushed to get to 90.
Don

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 20:58:08 »

Yes I missed the noise of a good old Paxman Valenta. Although it's bad for the enviornment, I think the thick black smoke really showed just how hard these magnificant trains work Grin

Off topic but, if you like thick black smoke and noise - something foreign......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEETEOcQW90

Watch it loud, and watch all 2min 35sec of it.

Regards,
Don.
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 22:56:21 »

It's not the same!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 23:00:51 »

Off topic but, if you like thick black smoke and noise - something foreign......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEETEOcQW90

Watch it loud, and watch all 2min 35sec of it.

Thats rather impressive Grin

Still prefer a Class 37, 47 and HST (High Speed Train) though Wink

I see a 67 at Taunton Station most mornings, Just watching ticking over is rather awe inspiring Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 23:10:14 »

Have you ever stood next to a deltic (class 55)? They make the ground shake when they're idling, and enough noise to wake the dead at full chat - now that's impressive!

Thinking about it though I don't suppose many platform staff miss the old Valentas...can't have done much for your hearing having those Napiers whistling past you umpteen times every shift. I was chatting to a bus driver who used to work for Thames Trains at Slough station before the FGW (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) were re-engined and he was telling me what a fright he got on his first day when an HST close to 125 went zinging past a few feet away!
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 23:25:15 »

I think the poor people who worked on platform 4 at reading must have had it the worst! As another thread pointed out it is very busy handling every single westbound train on the main lines.  Also, there's nowhere to hide!
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 10:02:11 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) they are capable of 140+ and still the holder of the world speed record for diesel powered passenger train.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: