Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:15 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:31:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone else miss the NOISY old HSTs?  (Read 20376 times)
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 17:32:09 »

does anyone think that these will ever get another referb or is that it for the hst's

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 18:47:40 »

does anyone think that these will ever get another referb or is that it for the hst's

I think that this will be the last refurb the HSTs (High Speed Train) will see relex109. They have however been done to a very high standard whether you like the seating or not as each carriage and power car was stripped to it's shell and virtually rebuilt so they will last until IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is fully launched and beyond. I believe its safety legislation that will stop them being used after IEP is introduced. Can someone explain further on this one?

My advice is enjoy the HSTs over the next 6-7 years and hope Hitachi deliver something that is near to the quality of the HST.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 23:06:30 »

British Rail achieved the current official world speed record for diesel traction of 148 mph using a 2+5 Valenta-engined HST (High Speed Train) set, although Spain and Russia have claimed unofficial speed records much higher, with 168 mph in the latter case. I think I'm correct in saying that given the opportunity HSTs would quite happily rattle along regularly at 140 mph, given enough time and distance to accelerate.

As far as I know no-one's had a punt at the speed record using an MTU (Motor Traction Unit)-engined HST set. A possible PR (Public Relations) opportunity there methinks, if anyone from FGW (First Great Western) Towers is listening... I don't doubt for one moment that the HSTs still have it in them!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 14:08:16 »

The MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engines are downrated (by as much as 20% I think) on their design power output so that they pretty much match the old Valenta engines in performance, but save fuel, engine wear and noise. If they were allowed to run at full spec then that record would be under serious threat - the H&S (Health and Safety) red-tape that has to be cut through for any such record attempt is rather amazing though!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 14:40:45 »

The MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engines are downrated (by as much as 20% I think) on their design power output so that they pretty much match the old Valenta engines in performance, but save fuel, engine wear and noise. If they were allowed to run at full spec then that record would be under serious threat - the H&S (Health and Safety) red-tape that has to be cut through for any such record attempt is rather amazing though!

Interesting thoughts, I would think the H&S boys would cause a world shortage of red tape if anyone said we want to see if a MTU HST (High Speed Train) could do 150+.

It's very interesting to contrast the French attitude to rail speed records ever since WW2, of course they use specially prepared locos and TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) sets and with less traffic and bettter track they can go for it as per the recent record on the new LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) Est. They celebrate it as a national engineering triumph.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 19:03:23 »

The story of 4468's world steam speed record (126 mph) on the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) in 1938 is pretty hair-raising. It doesn't sound like the operating department wanted the civil engineers to find out what was afoot: right up until the day the operation was dressed up as brake trials, and after Mallard had thundered down Stoke Bank at 126 it turned out that much of the track she had run over at that speed consisted of thirty-foot jointed rail, laid almmost 30 years previously  Shocked
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 23:11:00 »

I don't think Sir Nigel Gresley wanted his directors to know what he was planning either Mallard cost ^8,500 to build a substantial amount of money in 1938.  Gresley was quite particular picking Mallard for the run she had done a number of miles so was worn in but not overly worn; I had heard that Mallard had to be effectively rebuilt after the record run because of the mount of damage done to bearings etc.

I am sure the re-engined class 43 with a short rake of coaches could turn 150 MPH but what would it prove

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 00:27:44 »

The Wessex Electrics hold the third rail record. Has that been "unofficially" beaten?

Why did SWT (South West Trains) get rid of them? They're better than the unreliable Junipers, and would be nice for Portsmouth commuters.

At least Southern have got some running again...
Zoe
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 00:37:56 »

Why did SWT (South West Trains) get rid of them? They're better than the unreliable Junipers, and would be nice for Portsmouth commuters.
They were too expensive to lease.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 06:43:54 »

The Wessex Electrics hold the third rail record. Has that been "unofficially" beaten?

At least Southern have got some running again...
This was a very unpopular move with passengers on the Portsmouth-London line as SWT removed a number of their 'Intercity' style class 444s off this route to cover the 442s coming off lease between London-Bournemouth-Weymouth line replacing them with suburban 450s on the Portsmouth line which are not suited to long distance travel, bit like Voyagers when you think about it!

I like 444s but they aren't as good as the 442s as they were Intercity standard because they were based on Mk3 coaching stock.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 21:23:31 »

They were too expensive to lease.
Roll Eyes
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 23:03:07 »

Took a trip on NXEA (National Express East Anglia) the other week - HSTs (High Speed Train) with the original seat arrangement and carriage furnishings!  Fantastic. 
Didn't get to see what the engine was as the service was disrupted and the trains were running haphazardly with no CIS (Customer Information System) information was available so I was wandering in a daze around Liverpool Street and ended up on a random train.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 23:05:45 »

Took a trip on NXEA (National Express East Anglia) the other week - HSTs (High Speed Train) with the original seat arrangement and carriage furnishings!  Fantastic. 
Didn't get to see what the engine was as the service was disrupted and the trains were running haphazardly with no CIS (Customer Information System) information was available so I was wandering in a daze around Liverpool Street and ended up on a random train.

You must have been in quite a daze as NXEA dont have HSTs !!
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 08:40:02 »

NXEA (National Express East Anglia) do have Mk 3s although  I am surprised that plymouthian didn't find his 'HST (High Speed Train)' a little quiet. Wink

Just to muddy the water, I believe that as far back as 1931, a German, Zepplin built railcar with a petrol engine achieved 142 mph.  This speed was surpassed by a (pre-production?) HST which clocked 143 mph in June 1973, still a world record.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 11:04:58 »

I am sure the re-engined class 43 with a short rake of coaches could turn 150 MPH but what would it prove

A triumph for British/German  engineering and one up on the French. But then again   I don't think they'd want a diesel record, they are very happy with all their electric records.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:59:28 by eightf48544 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: