22:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 27, 2024, 22:46:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[102] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[67] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[35] access for all at Devon stations report
[22] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[8] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[1] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Stats 07/08  (Read 2676 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2009, 23:11:54 »

These were published today and cover the period May 07 to May 08. The full list is on the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) website, and as trailed last year they now split pax for stations in the same grouping more sensibly (eg Dorchester West now gets 66,000 pax instead of 172.

If this attaches, then here's a summary of the 1,2 and 3 year figures for stations in the west (but not south-west -apologies). Note that Rover tickets continue to be excluded, and I think some of the fall in numbers on the Severn Beach line may be due to introduction of the new zonal system, so Severn Beach and Clifton Down gain at the other stations' expense. Which is a general warning that you do need to consider local circumstances before drawing too many conclusions from unusual results.

But generally healthy gains across the region. Including Melksham, where obviously more people twigged that it was cheaper to buy a ticket from Melksham to Bristol than from Bradford on Avon. Surprises that Keynsham and Oldfield Park held up given the much publicised problems post the new timetable in early 07, which was not rectified until the summer of 07. Good growth at stations like Yate and Cam & Dursley, and bizarrely at Parson St, which I can't explain. And Nailsea & Backwell continues to do pretty well too....   
willc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 00:14:14 »

The report explaining how the figures are put together and issues related to them and the Excel spreadsheet (and those for previous years back to 2002-3) are at http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/nav.1529
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 04:58:45 »

The station comparator which is on the top link bar of these pages now includes the footfall data for 07/08 (I have not yet looked at connecting numbers) ... for example - for Westbury:

(Westbury - next trains).html" target="_blank">http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/smr/WSB.html

It's very interesting to see the traffic drop at  Dilton Marsh, where the Salisbury service was vandalised (sorry - can't think of a better word) like the Melksham service was.

You need to be logged in to see the data ... otherwise you just get a sample station ... a good reason to sign up if you're not a member yet!

Technical note - the figures on these pages are entrances + exits + changes for both years, on the basis that a change is a need for a train to stop (argueably changes should count twice as it's a get off plus a get on!).  I will come back to this data later if I get a chance - just wanted to get something up to help anyone who wishes compare areas or similar traffic stations across the country.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 05:08:34 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:17:21 »

Could the rise in traffic at Parson St be attributed to the 'rise' of Bristol City FC(resolve) ?
bemmy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 09:46:30 »

Good growth at stations like Yate and Cam & Dursley, and bizarrely at Parson St, which I can't explain.
I can explain!  Grin

1. It's not that long ago that Parson St had one train a day in each direction, so numbers started from an extremely low base.
2. Gradually services have increased to the current level of hourly for most of the day, half hourly in peaks. The extension of trains past Temple Meads to Filton and Parkway has made a big difference too.
3. There's been no publicity about the improved services, so to begin with most of the new trains stopped without anyone getting on or off. It's taken time for word to spread round the workplaces in the Filton area that if you live in South Bristol you can cut out more than half your commuting time by using the train.
4. Since the Dec 2007 timetable change connections have improved, so Parson St is useful not just for travelling towards Weston, but also Bath, Filton, Cardiff and connecting in and out of London trains and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services.
5. There is no bus service to Temple Meads from SW Bristol and more people are finding out about the train.
6. The inbound 75/76 bus stop was moved to outside the station a couple of years ago and people from Hartcliffe and Withywood have started changing to and from the train at Parson St.
7. The station looks welcoming nowadays. The entrance used to make it look bleak and scary, a few years back it was renovated with a shelter and vastly improved train information. And there are flowerbeds on the platforms.
8. In comparison with Bedminster, Parson St serves a much larger residential area (most of the houses in central Bedminster were demolished, some as slum clearance, others to make way for a road that was never built). But traditionally more trains have always stopped at Bedminster, which used to serve a lot of workplaces, although most of the factories are long since gone. These days, on the trains I use, there are usually more getting on and off at Parson St than Bedminster.

Could the rise in traffic at Parson St be attributed to the 'rise' of Bristol City FC(resolve) ?
I doubt it's made a lot of difference, although I expect that passenger numbers have increased on matchdays, probably thanks to greater awareness of the train service as well as the rise in attendances. Now if they brought back the football specials that I remember seeing pulling in, as I crossed the bridge on my way to the ground a few decades ago, we could double our footfall overnight!  Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:03:26 »

I can explain!  Grin

There is a huge lesson in that post / that experience for those of us at sparsely served stations - with Bemmy's permission (thank you) I've crossposted to

http://www.savethetrain.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7972.0

as my thoughts are very much on TransWilts / Campaigning experience on this one!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 16:13:58 »

Pleased to see Paignton up by 50,000 despite the awful summer!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 17:45:01 »

What happened at Dilton March? Were services axed?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 19:22:37 »

Truro has reached and exceeded the 1million mark!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: