09:20 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough
09:30 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central
09:40 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 09:10:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possession St Austell - Penzance week at the end Mar 2009  (Read 7082 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:49:10 »

Sadly, this is true.  On several occasions, I have journeyed to that den of iniquity on a Saturday evening in an attempt to spread the word. Does anyone know whether I would be allowed to hold an impromptu service on the train from Par to Newquay?  We could have rousing modern hymns and uplifting prayers and possibly give away small bottles of soft drink and useful tracts to club goers.

David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their brothers  to sing joyful songs, accompanied by musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.  1 Chronicles 15:16

Hi, Nemesis ... if you were travelling with a group of your friends and had taken (let's say) 20 or 30 seats at the end of one of the carriages, I don't think there would be much of a problem in you sharing words with them.  But I would think that holding what I take to be a religious service on a public train, without prior permission and to an audience who would potentially have little choice but to listen to you would probably be an issue.

Actually, this is a rather good opportunity for me to gently point out that in the forum agreement (everyone agrees when they join) there is a section which asks you not to advertise.   I've got a question in a message in my mailbox at the moment that asks whether a bible quote at the end of a post constitutes an advert - it's not something that we've had to consider before, but can I ask everyone (while we think it through) to be considerate of those who don't share the same religious views.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Nemesis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 10:15:07 »

I cannot see how a Bible quotation could be regarded as advertising. They are used in all walks of life to add emphasis to a particular point, or as justification for a particular form of action.  I will nevertheless, accept that others may not share my view.

Although I deplore the way of the world which has given rise to a secular society, I would certainly not use the pages of this forum to impose my religious views and I apologise unreservedly if offence has been caused.  As I firmly respect the choice of others in matters of faith, I will undertake not to 'advertise' in any 'Biblical' context, but make no apology for the source of my inspiration in life.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.  ~John Lennon
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 15:25:10 »

I'm not rligious in the least but don't see how having that extract as a signiature is advertising or how it could be a problem? anyway i'll shut up before I open a can of worms!  Wink Wink
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 15:40:41 »

Something along these lines Nemesis? Wink

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 16:16:02 »

I'm not rligious in the least but don't see how having that extract as a signiature is advertising or how it could be a problem? anyway i'll shut up before I open a can of worms!  Wink Wink

It's all resolved to everyone's understanding, thanks everyone ... but I'll just clarify; there's no problem with a signature block / avatar that contains something along the lines of "The end is nigh" and a picture of (?) a monk in a habit. 

Concern was expressed at a series of posts in which every one had a significant proportion of its content given over to different biblical quotations.   The posts weren't very long (so the quotes weren't either), but the question was asked "what is the situation / limit" so I put up a few words to clarify it for everyone.  I understand that there are plenty of other forums where matters of church and faith can be (and are) discussed at length.

Objective (achieve, I think) to have somewhere when people can disuss the subject line that ths board's URL makes obvious ('firstgreatwestern.info'), irrespective of politics, religion, etc, etc.  Nemesis - I hope you're OK that we're there. You too, Vacman, and everyone else.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
G.Uard

"Are we at Yate yet?"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 16:39:11 »

I suppose we should be grateful that this thread does not refer to 'demonic' possession. Grin
Nemesis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 08:29:00 »

I suppose we should be grateful that this thread does not refer to 'demonic' possession. Grin

Demonic possession is no laughing matter.  It explains several of the otherwise unexplainable factors in violent crime for example and may even have relevance to the current banking crisis.  It is even possible that Dr Beeching was affected.

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.  ~John Lennon
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 16:10:37 »

Right... lets getting this possession right

from the FGW (First Great Western) site.

St Austell westwards is only at the weekends, St Erth westward only weekdays. I note that Falmouth bound passengers are to be transferred to THROUGH buses at St Austell according to the FGW site, saves a messy change of bus at Truro. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: