Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:20:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Green Park  (Read 174865 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2016, 15:46:34 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Reading Green Park railway station cost increases by £3m

22 July 2016
    From the section Berkshire

The cost of a new railway station planned for Reading has risen by almost 50%.

Berkshire Local Transport Body (BLTB) awarded an additional £3m to the initial £6.4m contract for Green Park Station on Thursday.

The station will be built on the Reading to Basingstoke line near Madejski Stadium to improve transport networks across Berkshire.

Reading Borough Council said the funds would help "cater for more passengers".

Funds would go towards the provision of additional waiting shelters and ticketing facilities for passengers.

Tony Page, planning and transport councillor at the authority, said: "We need to future-proof for a much greater use by passengers than originally anticipated due to the growth in housing, leisure and conference facilities...over the next few years."

An assessment of forecast passenger demand for the station was undertaken in 2013 by Great Western Railway and Network Rail.

However, BLTP said recent reviews suggested "a significant increase in the forecast passenger demand for the station in comparison to the calculations undertaken in 2013".

Construction work on the station is set to begin in October 2016.

It is part of a £21.4m batch of schemes agreed by the Berkshire Local Transport Body and funded by the government.

Other schemes include road improvements in Newbury, Slough and Bracknell.

Now, what's missing from that (as it was from the shorter news item run on South Today on Thursday)? Oh yes, what trains might call there and from when.

While it's not in the thread above, the Hendy version of delivery dates gives:
Milestone Description Date Status
GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) 3 AIP completionSingle option selection and AIP completionJune 2018Regulated Output
GRIP 4 completionSingle option scope definedAssumed CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024)Indicative
GRIP 6 startStart on siteAssumed CP6Indicative
EIS (Enters Into Service) Infrastructure authorised  Infrastructure authorised for passenger useAssumed CP6   Indicative
Output deliveredFirst timetabled public use of the infrastructure  Assumed CP6n/a

So if anyone is still counting on electric trains for this service, there's no rush to build the station.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 18:18:44 »

Having travelled a lot between Reading and Southampton recently I've noticed some houses being built at Green Park edging slowly towards the railway line so I would have thought passenger demand will be increasing fairly shortly.

Oh yes, what trains might call there and from when
With turbos being released from the main line, as I have said before I don't see any reason for not having three turbos shuttling up and down, would be far better for turnaround times as at the moment recovery times throughout the day are practically nonexistent.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 19:53:41 »

Having travelled a lot between Reading and Southampton recently I've noticed some houses being built at Green Park edging slowly towards the railway line so I would have thought passenger demand will be increasing fairly shortly.

Let's hope they have a train service to meet that demand rather than one that starts after they've all bought their second cars!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 22:05:22 »

Well I suppose that it's good news if they are building it properly rather than a minimalistic effort that will have to be upgraded at great expense.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), the issue with the Reading to Basingstoke line is that you can just squeeze in the current service pattern, but an additional stop at Green Park would be too much. I believe that the faster acceleration of EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) would resolve the issue, otherwise other stations would have to lose some of their services (assuming that a complete recast of the timetable is out of the question).

I'm inclined to think that with Hendy in charge, GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification will be run like Crossrail - i.e. strictly no increases in scope, extras only get done once the main project has been delivered.     
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2017, 20:31:46 »

This has popped up in GetReading:
Network Rail attempt to get Green Park Station project back on track
There are concerns that no trains will stop at the station when it opens in 2018 as the electrification of the line has been delayed*

ByNathan Hyde    11:37, 26 FEB 2017

Artist's impression of Green Park Station

Reading passengers may be able to catch a train at Green Park Station when it opens in December 2018, even though the railway line will not be electrified.

Plans for the eagerly-awaited station suffered a huge blow in 2015 when Network Rail announced that work to electrify the line it sits on would not begin before 2019.

There were concerns that no trains would be able to call at the station when it opened.

The two diesel trains which operate on the branch line are not able to achieve the necessary acceleration in the short distance between Green Park and Reading Station.

However, Network Rail has revealed it could make alterations to ensure that diesel trains can stop at the station, until the electrification is completed.

"We’re working with Reading Borough Council and the Department for Transport to put arrangements in so that the station can be served by diesel trains before the line is electrified," said a Network Rails spokesman.

He also confirmed that the station is still expected to open in December 2018.

Reading FC(resolve) are keeping a close eye on the multi-million pound project as the station will offer another mode of transport for fans and people travelling to and from Royal Elm Park.
Royal Elm Park

The installation of an electrified line between Basingstoke and Reading has been delayed until what Network Rail call CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024), which is sometime between 2019 to 2024.

The announcement was made in the Hendy Report, published by Network Rail chairman Sir Peter Hendy after he was tasked with looking at a massive overspend on the electrification of railway lines across the UK (United Kingdom).

Reading Borough Council has secured £13.7 million of funding for the project, from the Local Growth Fund and private sector contributions.

Plans for the railway station were approved by the council's planning committee in April 2015.
(*I'm not sure what that's doing there.)

Now, I wonder what's that all about? I mean, particularly, ""We’re working with Reading Borough Council and the Department for Transport to put arrangements in so that the station can be served by diesel trains before the line is electrified," said a Network Rails spokesman."
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2017, 21:45:00 »

Realistically it's either an extra unit to maintain the 30-minute frequency, or a one of the other three intermediate stops being removed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 11:52:28 »

Green Park Station given major funding boost by Government

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/15440149.__2_3m_pledged_to_create_new_train_station/
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-station-boost-for-passengers-thanks-to-16-million-government-investment

Still no mention of hard timescales for trains actually being able to stop there.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2017, 13:42:14 »

Green Park station milestone reached as project edges closer
[ http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/green-park-station-milestone-reached-13637531 ]

The station is set to be a transport hub for South Reading
Plans for Green Park railway station will reach a key milestone when spending on the project and a developer to lead the design are agreed.

Reading Borough Council bosses are expected to approve the scheme and spending for the new station at its policy committee on Monday, September 25.

Councillors are also expected to appoint developers Balfour Beatty.
Read More

Green Park Station plans given green light by government

Councillor Tony Page, lead member for strategic environment, planning and transport, said: "The spend approval for Green Park Station is an important landmark for this council-led scheme and we hope to be in a position to announce when work on the ground will start at some point over the winter."

The station will be on the Reading to Basingstoke train line, and services will run every 30 minutes north to Reading and south to Basingstoke throughout the day.

The council is in discussions with the Department for Transport, Network Rail and Great Western Railway to agree a timetable for the delivery of the station.

Green Park station will cost an estimated £16 million and will feature two platforms, disabled access, a car park, bus stops, a taxi rank and cycle parking.
Artist's impression of Green Park Station

Football fans are expected to be major beneficiaries of the new station on matchdays, due to the proximity of the station to the Madejski Stadium.

It is hoped the new transport link will also help alleviate queues on the busy A33.

Cllr Page said: "Reading Green Park Station will be a key part of the town’s future transport infrastructure as more homes, businesses and leisure developments are planned for the area.

"It will also be welcomed by football and rugby fans heading to Madejski Stadium.
Read More
Green Park station

Government approve station plans
    Fears over station electrification
    Plan for flats nearby
    Royal Elm Park approved

"Quick and easy rail access to south Reading will also help keep traffic off busy roads like the A33, which is an obvious benefit to everyone."

The move comes after the Department for Transport announced it would put £2.3 million into the scheme.

Other funding will come from area development contributions (£4.6 million) and £9.15 million from the the Local Enterprise Partnership.

When the Department for Transport approved the cash in July it stated the new station would be complete by March 2020.

The station will be just one part of major works going on at Green Park, which include the expansion of Green Park Business Park, the Green Park Village residential development and the Royal Elm Park mixed-use development.

Planning permission for the station was granted in 2015.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2017, 14:15:18 »

Presumably another turbo will be required to provide this service? The trip will take more than 30 minutes once a stop here is served?
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2017, 08:16:50 »

There was a previous article in the Reading paper about electrification, which is possibly the only way they would be able to keep to the current schedule. As for reducing road traffic, I can't see that happening unless there are some peak time trains direct to Paddington, and in the light of the recent changes to the Henley service I can't imagine that happening.
Plans for Grazeley Garden Village also suggest that there should be a station there, with the idea of "moving" Mortimer station (which I would imagine wouldn't be well received by the current users).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2017, 09:32:23 »

Can't see electrification happening in time for the proposed opening date, but given that is likely to slip given its already slipped many times and experience of similar stations being delayed, who knows which will be ready first!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
aifo

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2017, 11:38:04 »

There's more details in the agenda for the RBC(resolve) Policy Committee, Item 10:
http://www.reading.gov.uk/article/10578/Policy-Committee-25-SEP-2017
An indicative programme for delivery of the station by May 2019 has been agreed with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), Network Rail and GWR (Great Western Railway), based on the requirement for the station to be included within the specification for the Great Western Franchise. There is also a requirement for an additional diesel train to be supplied for the Reading-Basingstoke line as part of this franchise to enable Green Park Station to be served prior to delivery of electrification of the line (which will enable the station to be served with the existing provision of two trains on the line) which has been agreed with the DfT.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2017, 11:44:38 »

An additional train would also mean much longer turnaround times at either end, which is less efficient but should improve timekeeping.  One less Turbo for the west though?

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2017, 21:48:18 »

There's more details in the agenda for the RBC(resolve) Policy Committee, Item 10:

http://www.reading.gov.uk/article/10578/Policy-Committee-25-SEP-2017

Thanks for posting that information, aifo - and a warm welcome to the Coffee Shop forum.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 10:13:36 »

Funding approved by RBC(resolve), unsurprising as they don't have to fund any of it.
http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/green-park-station-funding-approved-13674198

which is now expected to be completed by May 2019
Now, where's that pig flying emoticon?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: