I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:32:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Green Park  (Read 174888 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2019, 22:08:35 »

I think Green Park's name was perhaps trying to pull at environmental strings upon it's naming. Green it is in colour with plenty of trees, but it has clearly been built for the motor car. Several different bus routes have to serve separate areas of it because of layout. and some of the bus stops don't even have pavement running to them. A previous transport manager at Reading Transport in the early 2000's told me he once went to seminar that had a talk on planning for public transport in housing and work areas. They put up a map on a screen to demonstrate an example of poor planning for bus routes and, although not labelled, he immediately recognised it as Green Park, and that was in it's early days!

There's that big whirly thing too.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2019, 09:58:19 »

.... or use the arrangement like the Southern oddity of London Road (Guildford).

There is a London Road, which is the next stop to Brighton, on the Brighton to Lewes Southern line

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2019, 18:41:29 »

Reading Borough Council seem to prefer brand new buzz type names for suburbs and areas rather than the historical reference points.

Not just Reading to be fair. Remember the "Thames Gateway"? I have also been involved professionally with "Gateways" elsewhere - the term was very much in vogue 10 years ago. Sadly marketing folk like names like these  - there was a time when everyone had to have "Science" or "Technology" in the name of a business park, while "Green" and "Eco" have been more popular recently, and "Garden" is currently favoured. So let's (not) have "Reading Green Technology Gateway Garden Park"!!

As my Mad Stad idea has fallen flat, I'm for Smallmead or Pingewood, or for the unadventurous "South Reading" (or South Reading for Green Park and Madejski Stadium)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2019, 20:17:40 »

Reading Borough Council seem to prefer brand new buzz type names for suburbs and areas rather than the historical reference points.

Not just Reading to be fair. Remember the "Thames Gateway"? I have also been involved professionally with "Gateways" elsewhere - the term was very much in vogue 10 years ago. Sadly marketing folk like names like these  - there was a time when everyone had to have "Science" or "Technology" in the name of a business park, while "Green" and "Eco" have been more popular recently, and "Garden" is currently favoured. So let's (not) have "Reading Green Technology Gateway Garden Park"!!

As my Mad Stad idea has fallen flat, I'm for Smallmead or Pingewood, or for the unadventurous "South Reading" (or South Reading for Green Park and Madejski Stadium)

Glad you said South Reading as Reading South has been used before!
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2019, 21:22:54 »

Only oddly it wasn't south it was southern. South of General perhaps.
Were those stations on the Great Central main line with Central in the title closer to the middle of the towns than there counterparts? Or was it stating the rail line it was on? Parkway means car parking but the name appeared from Bristol Parkway which is named after a road. Different rail companies had different ideas about naming, and that still seems to be the case even with a national network.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2019, 06:59:12 »

And possibly yet to come, Grazeley Garden Village, proposal currently somewhere in central government probably stuck behind a Brexit logjam.

They want a new station on the Reading - Basingstoke line, or if all else fails move Mortimer station ( a somewhat inflammatory proposal methinks). Details can be found if you rummage on the Wokingham BC website.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2019, 09:32:12 »

Only oddly it wasn't south it was southern.

Not odd - it had been Reading Southern from 1923 when the company name changed from South Eastern, but that wasn't part of the official name. Its owners called it "Reading", as did GWR (Great Western Railway) theirs, and as happened quite generally. People added the company name so they could tell them apart.

On nationalisation, the companies disappeared, but something now had to be included in the station name so BR (British Rail(ways)) could distinguish them. Apparently, at Reading they went for General and South, changing back (in a sense) to Southern in 1961 - no doubt because South suggests something in the south of the town ... though probably not as far out as Green Park.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2019, 10:52:02 »

Only oddly it wasn't south it was southern.

Not odd - it had been Reading Southern from 1923 when the company name changed from South Eastern, but that wasn't part of the official name. Its owners called it "Reading", as did GWR (Great Western Railway) theirs, and as happened quite generally. People added the company name so they could tell them apart.

To this day, you have "Wigan North Western" from London North Western Railway - that's the company that operated it until the end of 1922.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2019, 12:05:41 »

Reading Great Western? Nice ring to it

When I was young I was always fascinated by the intriguing station names when I visited General and heard announcements (I applied for the announcers job in the early 90's an announced the Hereford train across the station as part of the interview).
Magical sounding places like Worcester Shrub Hill, Worcester Foregate Street, Birmingham New Street,Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester Piccadilly even Dorking Depedene. Bristol Temple Meads was the most exciting name, the pictures created in a young mind. All Reading ever got was General in brackets and by the time I came along this was dropped as well. It still appeared on some signs when I was young and was what my dad referred to the station as.

Cheers
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2019, 11:16:43 »

I’m a bit confused now...   Huh

What was the planning application for that was reported (by eightonedee in post 62) to have been approved in March?  I thought that and the previously discussed applications had already been for a “station”?

From Reading planning site:
“190858
Site Address:   Green Park Station
Description:   Construction of a building comprising ticket hall, public conveniences, staff facilities and ancillary retail provision to serve the proposed Green Park railway station development, including associated signage...”

So is this definitely just a building?

Paul
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:35:54 by paul7755 » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2019, 12:38:26 »

Yes, I believe this 'new' application was for the station building rather than the actual station
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2019, 15:01:13 »

Yes, I believe this 'new' application was for the station building rather than the actual station

The last complete planning approval in 2015 was for the interchange, multi-storey car park, and an unmanned station. That has now lapsed, the station had to be moved south and extended south, and the the station is now include booking office other passenger and staff facilities. The shift over the borough boundary meant Wokingham had to be involved too, and that station application covered a redesign of the interchange too, but omitted the building itself.

I think they wanted to avoid involving Wokingham in this one for the station building, on the grounds it could only add difficulties. Oddly, the new application says "the location of the proposed station building was shown indicatively on the approved drawings for the original applications", but all I can see is some cycle parking and ticket machines.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2019, 19:55:01 »

There's that big whirly thing too.

That's the one that generated £100,000 worth of electricity, and £130,000 worth of subsidies in 2011.

Now, please!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2019, 17:37:52 »

Went by the site Reading Green Park (RGP?) last Saturday. Have definitely got access and cleared a "platform length" next to the track on the Up side.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2019, 09:31:44 »

I note that from December provisional Green Park (RGP) timings have been included in readiness

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: