Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:01:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Green Park  (Read 174876 times)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2019, 20:36:09 »

To answer Stuving (as a non-architect but who sees lots of plans at work) the drawings are produced so that if they are printing without reduction on a specified standard paper size they will be to scale. The scale (and usually the page size at which they should be printed) normally appears in the title block, conventionally in the bottom left of the drawing.

These days drawings are often produced as part of a system known as BIM (Building Information Modeling), an integrated IT system for capturing all the information about a project which those who I believe now much more than I do is revolutionising the construction process, at least at the scale of single buildings.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2019, 21:38:11 »

March 25 2020 will mark 11 full years of posts under this heading, competing closely with the Tavistock extension for procrastination.

The equivalent thread on the Hob Nob Reading FC(resolve) fan forum has been going for even longer:

https://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61077

The first post there (dated 05/05/2007) says:

Anybody who travels on the Reading to Basingstoke line seen any signs of work starting.The GP website says it will be ready for 2008.Surely this means that work must have started on site?

I'm fed up of using the station shuttle.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2019, 21:43:10 »

To answer Stuving (as a non-architect but who sees lots of plans at work) the drawings are produced so that if they are printing without reduction on a specified standard paper size they will be to scale. The scale (and usually the page size at which they should be printed) normally appears in the title block, conventionally in the bottom left of the drawing.

These days drawings are often produced as part of a system known as BIM (Building Information Modeling), an integrated IT system for capturing all the information about a project which those who I believe now much more than I do is revolutionising the construction process, at least at the scale of single buildings.

I've seen BIM used (although I thought it was BIMS) whilst at ATKINS and it seems to be a very good system, but needs a very good plotter/printer to work properly.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2019, 22:41:57 »

Exactly. Just the point I was making. The drawing I was looking at had a box at the bottom right corner saying "A1 scale  1:500", so if I had an A1 print from its originating system, correctly formatted for the printer, I could take dimensions off it. If I had it on screen on its originating CAD/CAE system the software could do that for me. But with a print on some other size of paper, which in turn is viewed on a PC screen, I'd need to find the A1 sheet corner marks, measure them and some other dimensions off the screen, and do some sums to get anywhere. And those corner marks are not always printed - note that the drawing scale is in terms of the full sheet size, not the drawing frame.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2019, 23:08:40 »

Exactly. Just the point I was making. The drawing I was looking at had a box at the bottom right corner saying "A1 scale  1:500", so if I had an A1 print from its originating system, correctly formatted for the printer, I could take dimensions off it. If I had it on screen on its originating CAD/CAE system the software could do that for me. But with a print on some other size of paper, which in turn is viewed on a PC screen, I'd need to find the A1 sheet corner marks, measure them and some other dimensions off the screen, and do some sums to get anywhere. And those corner marks are not always printed - note that the drawing scale is in terms of the full sheet size, not the drawing frame.

Scaling of a drawing!
In my career there has always been a specific instruction not to scale dimensions from the drawing as that leads to error.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2019, 23:15:19 »

Scaling of a drawing!
In my career there has always been a specific instruction not to scale dimensions from the drawing as that leads to error.

In your career, yes. But otherwise? I wasn't thinking of going down to the site and doing a bit of freelance building. I just wanted to read the drawing as a drawing rether than look at it as a sketch and say "I wonder how wide that platform is going to be - if I had a drawing it would tell me, accurately enough".
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2019, 14:43:58 »

I've seen BIM (Building Information Modeling) used (although I thought it was BIMS) whilst at ATKINS and it seems to be a very good system, but needs a very good plotter/printer to work properly.

BIM = Building Information Modeling. I guess S could = System? :-) I've always known it as BIM.

Best use I saw was combined with A/R = when the device was waved around infront of the wall, you could see all the utilties behind it on the screen, very impressive - I think it was on a documentary about Crossrail stations actually.

I know we get a lot of requests for BIM data at work - anything from cable trays/racking through to valve and actuator data, but I've never really seen how that resulting data is used.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2020, 21:36:55 »

Meanwhile, back at Green Park, this was the situation yesterday (Sunday).
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2020, 08:11:42 »

More visible progress on the Up side of Reading Green Park yesterday (14/3)
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2020, 17:23:17 »

I passed the site today and plenty of activity on both sides of the line. It's starting to get exciting. I can still see Kirton's Farm Road/Berry Lane becoming unofficial parking for this Station, and wonder whether they will have to consider pavements along those roads.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2020, 15:18:10 »

My daily exercise has taken me down to Green Park. There is now a line piles along the Up side. To my untutored eye it would suggest the line of the rear pf the platform.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2020, 15:14:23 »

Sitrep - 12/05/20

The Smallmead bridge end there are now three rows of piles on the Up side. Two rows in the middle a gap and two rows the far end. In the middle there is an array of piles suggesting a building or similar. On the Down side some cones and a theodolite/total station.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2020, 19:43:58 »

There's been more planning stuff going on since last reported - and it's not finished yet. This is the site history (only since 2018):
Construction of a building comprising ticket hall, public conveniences, staff facilities and ancillary retail provision to serve the proposed Green Park Railway station development including associated signage.
Ref. No: 19/01468/FUL | Status: Approved

Out of district consultation: Construction of a building comprising ticket hall, public conveniences, staff facilities and ancillary retail provision to serve the proposed Green Park Railway station development including associated signage.
Ref. No: 19/01506/OOD | Status: No Comment

Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 3 - Materials, 6 - Remediation Strategy (partial discharge), 7 - SuDS, 9 - Piling, 10 - Floor Levels, 13 - Site clearance outside breeding season, 14 -Compensatory flood plain storage and 15 - Ditch diversion method statement, of planning permission reference 18/01451/COMIND.
Ref. No: 19/02327/COND1 | Status: Part Approved, Part Refused

Application for approval of details reserved by condition (14) Compensatory flood plain storage of approved 18/01451/COMIND - Relocation and extension to the approved railway platforms together with the relocation of approved railway footbridge and relocation of the approved ditch diversion works at land east of Cottage Lane, Reading.
Ref. No: 20/00244/COND2 | Status: Refused

Application for approval of details reserved by Conditions (6) Remediation strategy and (9) Piling of approved 18/01451/COMIND - Relocation and extension to the approved railway platforms together with the relocation of approved railway footbridge and relocation of the approved ditch diversion works at land east of Cottage Lane, Reading.
Ref. No: 20/00879/COND3 | Status: Pending Consideration

Approval of details reserved by Conditions (3) Ecology, (5) Piling, (6) Remediation Strategy, (7) SuDS, (Cool Drainage Plans and (9) Materials of Approved Application 19/01468/FUL
Ref. No: 20/00896/COND1 | Status: Pending Consideration

There should indeed be several rows of piles, of at least two kinds, for the platform and the (ca. 40 m long) shelter behind it. Behind that, the diverted ditch should have been the first thing built. There is also the footbridge towards the north end of the shelter which will needs its own piles.

Oddly, the plans still show a shelter on the down side too, not the station building which was proposed later.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2020, 15:36:26 »

What's the latest on this, good people? I was due to go to a conference in April this year which Reading Green Park would have been dead handy to get to, but by the time I uncrossed my fingers that the station would be ready in time for me to use it, the conference itself got banjaxed for obvious reasons. The conference is however hopefully going ahead NEXT April - but will the station be open by then? Has work recommenced yet?
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2020, 19:38:39 »

I have been by in the last few weeks. Piling appears to be finished, and there appears to be no signs of life on the Network Rail side of the fence. On the Down side the developers (?) appear to have completed the turning circle and drop off, and some car parking (if I interpret the tarmac correctly).

Certainly don't get the impression that anybody is busting a gut to finish it. Does the next stage require a possession?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: