Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:06:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Green Park  (Read 174883 times)
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2022, 18:52:23 »

The ghost of Jethro is probably working on a variation of his famous routine - "Trains don't stop Green Park yet"
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2022, 22:28:25 »

When were services supposed to start serving Reading Park?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2022, 22:37:26 »

Supposed? When and by whom? And how - aren't we talking crystal balls here?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2022, 04:05:14 »

Supposed? When and by whom? And how - aren't we talking crystal balls here?

From WikiWand

Plans were announced in July 2007 and approved by the Office of Rail Regulation in March 2009. Building was originally expected to begin in early 2009, and be completed in early 2010. However ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 08, 2022, 07:47:00 »

Thankyou Graham.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2022, 17:52:18 »

Being in the vicinity this morning, and using local knowledge gained in more than 40 years' birding at the nearby gravel pits Wink, I was able to "circumvent" Balfour Beatty's "security" to bring you this progress report picture.

It is beginning to look like it might not be far away from being finished!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2022, 09:16:50 »

Thank you eightonedee. Went by yesterday, but can't really get detail on a Down Cross Country. Still intrigued as to what they are supposed to be doing to the road. Get the impression there is a "ramp" up to the road by the bridge?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2022, 10:41:02 »

What is the large building by the station going to be?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2022, 11:09:50 »

What is the large building by the station going to be?

The area of Green Park Village on the station side of the "lake" is called Bankside Gardens. That big block and the similar one behind it are identified as affordable housing.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2022, 20:30:28 »

Thank you eightonedee. Went by yesterday, but can't really get detail on a Down Cross Country. Still intrigued as to what they are supposed to be doing to the road. Get the impression there is a "ramp" up to the road by the bridge?

It looks like there will be a pedestrian access to Kirton's Farm Road, the one going over the Smallmead road bridge. It is a bit difficult to work out why it has been necessary to close the road for so long. There's a pavement being constructed over the bridge to connect to this ramp, but bearing in mind that this is a light-controlled single carriageway bridge, I would have though that there would have been sufficient working room to allow the bridge to continue in use, or at least only to close during working hours weekdays with the works safely behind construction fencing during the rest of the day and weekends.   
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2022, 22:06:50 »

It looks like there will be a pedestrian access to Kirton's Farm Road, the one going over the Smallmead road bridge. It is a bit difficult to work out why it has been necessary to close the road for so long. There's a pavement being constructed over the bridge to connect to this ramp, but bearing in mind that this is a light-controlled single carriageway bridge, I would have though that there would have been sufficient working room to allow the bridge to continue in use, or at least only to close during working hours weekdays with the works safely behind construction fencing during the rest of the day and weekends.   

Presumably that is to provide step-free access to the Up platform. If the only access is via the footbridge and lifts, then if a lift is out of use the only step-free route goes via another station to swap sides. I would guess there's a strong preference for a better alternative - even a long and inconvenient path is better than using another station. Mind you, I can't find it mentioned in "Design standards for accessible railway stations: a code of practice by the Department for Transport and Transport Scotland" or "Station design principles for Network Rail".
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2022, 16:05:12 »

Some nice drone footage of the station, with supporting aerial photographs:

https://media.reading.gov.uk/news/breathtaking-aerial-footage-shows-latest-progress-on-green-park-station

Nice to see it finally nearing completion and the station building is much more beefier than I was expecting.  Looks like it'll tie in nicely with the completion of the other developments by the station.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2022, 18:16:42 »

Some nice drone footage of the station, with supporting aerial photographs:

https://media.reading.gov.uk/news/breathtaking-aerial-footage-shows-latest-progress-on-green-park-station

Nice to see it finally nearing completion and the station building is much more beefier than I was expecting.  Looks like it'll tie in nicely with the completion of the other developments by the station.
We generally seem to be getting far better construction quality with many of these new stations, at least compared to some of the rubbish that was normal in the 80s
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 26, 2022, 14:55:20 »

I was at Smallmead bridge again this morning - approaching via the route referred to in my last post, although the gate (moveable section of Herras fencing) was open.

When I arrived at the top of the bridge I was hailed by a jovial orange and yellow clad Balfour Beatty operative in a foreign accent. I explain I was just getting a photo (see below), and we fell into conversation.

He explained that he was Portuguese, born in Angola in the last days of colonial rule, his family returning "home" after periods in Mozambique and Venezuela in 1980. He came to the UK (United Kingdom) many years ago due to the lack of opportunity in Portugal and had worked for BB for many years. He was hoping to settle permanently, the problem being the cost of accommodation, so he was contemplating a move to South Wales.

When I queried the slowness of the project he was clear what the problem was. He said that his managers were angry and frustrated at the continual problem in obtaining the requisite permissions for works, then dealing with the continual cancellation of planned work by "the railways". He said that there was a problem with stress in his team, and his boss was suffering from depression.

Nonetheless, he expressed pride in the project, and his role in it, and in the contribution it would make to the local community. He regretted that he would not be there at the time the station would finally be open.

Here's a view through the Herras fencing today - the access from Searles Farm Lane that goes over the bridge will not be step free - there's now a newly constructed concrete staircase up to the bridge - or is this just a work access? 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 26, 2022, 15:07:53 »

Lovely to hear about the background, ambitions and thoughts of what you and I just think of as another member of the 'orange army'.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: