I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:28:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading Green Park  (Read 174895 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2022, 13:15:38 »

To date, the council has delivered:

2,150m of platforms;

Wow! All those extra platforms - at least 14 in all - just by a single dodgy keystroke!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2022, 13:28:52 »

The contractor ought to try and see if he can get paid for all that extra platform construction, no wonder it’s taking so long to do the final surfacing…. Angry
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2022, 17:32:34 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-62048949

A new railway station, delayed due to the pandemic, is set to open by the end of the year.

Reading's Green Park Station on the Reading to Basingstoke line had been expected to open in late 2020.

Building work on the two-platform station, near Reading FC(resolve)'s Madejski Stadium, will finish in July.

It will then go through a period of testing before the station will be up and running for passengers, Reading Borough Council said.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 06, 2022, 06:52:20 »

near Reading FC(resolve)‡'s Madejski Stadium

Will be a nice job for Thames Valley Police sheparding the fans through Green Park Village and the Business Park to the Stadium. Bet the residents will soon be complaining about that.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 08, 2022, 13:38:51 »

Building work on the two-platform station, near Reading FC(resolve)‡'s Madejski Stadium, will finish in July.

It will then go through a period of testing before the station will be up and running for passengers, Reading Borough Council said.

Does any forum member know what such testing involves, why such a period is needed, and how long such period ought to be? It seems odd that they cannot be more specific.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2022, 13:51:38 »

It should be a lot quicker, but as we saw for Worcestershire Parkway and Kenilworth it takes forever….mostly for the paperwork to be signed off it seems rather than the actual testing.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 15, 2022, 10:24:13 »

It looks like substantial sections of the platforms have been dug up for some reason.  Perhaps part of the ongoing delays?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bradbrka
Transport Student

View Profile Email
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2022, 08:45:12 »

It looks like substantial sections of the platforms have been dug up for some reason.  Perhaps part of the ongoing delays?

Walked past the station yesterday evening. It appears they are repositioning the tactile paving further away from the platform edge as discussed  in post 230. The paving on the south bound platform looks to have been done.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2022, 09:45:54 »

Ah, thanks…I’d missed post #230.

If it is as a result of the turbulence from passing intermodal trains it’s a good example of why safety standards for new stations increase costs.  Especially given the proximity of the station to Southcote Junction with its 45 or 50mph permitted speeds meaning those trains won’t be going anywhere near their 75mph maximum speed.  Probably 60mph at the most through the station.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 16, 2022, 16:30:49 »

Ah, thanks…I’d missed post #230.

If it is as a result of the turbulence from passing intermodal trains it’s a good example of why safety standards for new stations increase costs.  Especially given the proximity of the station to Southcote Junction with its 45 or 50mph permitted speeds meaning those trains won’t be going anywhere near their 75mph maximum speed.  Probably 60mph at the most through the station.
Well, if someone’s recently worked out that the tactiles should be behind the yellow line rather than just in front of it, as has been usual for years, then a heck of a lot of other platforms will need modifying…

Paul
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2022, 16:32:20 »

Signs of progress

Just been by Green Park station. Platforms still dug up.

But NR» (Network Rail - home page) icon on a pole at the front of the station and "Reading Green Park" name boards on the platforms.
bradbrka
Transport Student

View Profile Email
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2022, 09:15:15 »

Passed over the bridge at Green park again yesterday evening. There are now 2 rows of tactile paving on the southbound platform, one by the platform edge stones, the other further back. Not easy to see but appear to be different patterns. I tried to get a photo but with all the temporary fencing proved too difficult.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2022, 17:22:54 »

When I last posted a picture back in March, I foolishly predicted that it would be the last time before the station opened. I was back there today, and this is what I saw. There are indeed two lines of tactile paving down each platform and it looks like (at least on the east side) either some making good behind the outer (furthest from the track) edge or perhaps a linear drainage grid to cover a gully.

To my untrained eye it does look almost ready to go. Does anyone know if the period for testing mentioned previously has passed and the testing completed?
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2022, 17:33:30 »

Well, there's a coincidence. I was composing the first post in this thread since July and so were you. Today I was driving back to Tilehurst "though the gravel pits", as I used to call the route in my cycling days and intended to cross the railway by means of the bridge by Green Park Station. Only the road was closed. Looking back through this thread, I couldn't see any reason for the closure. Perhaps there are works taking place on the bridge itself??
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 11, 2022, 22:09:01 »

The road closure was for a triathlon event (I hasten to add I was not participating!). I travelled to and from the site on foot.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: