09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 11:12:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Virgin vs Chiltern (and vice versa) advertising (merged topics)  (Read 36328 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 07:07:28 »

Can't see a problem with it myself - it is increasing competition on this busy route and hopefully helping to reduce prices. 
Exactly what rail privatisation was meant to provide.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 13:32:54 »

..and what FGW (First Great Western) could have done when the M4 J2 flyover was shut earlier this year, as we discussed under another topic.  Privatisation could and should force rail companies to succeed by becoming more efficient through competition, and give passengers better services and lower prices.  Well done Chiltern.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 15:31:51 »

As we discussed at the time, prohibitively expensive for them, and the disruption wasn't long enough to make a long-term difference
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 16:57:46 »

They could only do it if they had spare seats of course, which some travellers from Maidenhead and places east might no think exist - at least in the peaks. 

Chiltern have extra seats to sell.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 17:47:38 »

Of course...x2!
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2013, 14:24:22 »

I got this today by email.

Various ways of defining 'aggressive'.  This is an onslaught.

http://ebm.email.chilternrailways.co.uk/c/tag/hBRFdfVB8ulmjB8wtfyAABTHx4E/doc.html

I didn't know they cared so!

Edit to shorten URL
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:46:39 by grahame » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2013, 14:48:07 »

I tend to use Chiltern, as one of the least worse TOCs (Train Operating Company), to buy on-line tickets so they have my email address.

I've had two emails recently advertising ^6 each way advanced tickets.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2013, 23:27:24 »

You may wish to remove your email address from that URI. Or a moderator may wish to do it for you. Or of course you may not care...

Sanitising the link will break it, so here is one with no email address in: http://ebm.email.chilternrailways.co.uk/c/tag/hBRFdfVB8ulmjB8wtfyAABTHx4E/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:52:12 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 01:47:55 »

You may wish to remove your email address from that URI. Or a moderator may wish to do it for you. Or of course you may not care...

Sanitising the link will break it, so here is one with no email address in: http://ebm.email.chilternrailways.co.uk/c/tag/hBRFdfVB8ulmjB8wtfyAABTHx4E/

Thanks - I've reduced it down to that URL that's much shorter too ... - G

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
swrural

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 11:57:52 »

Thanks very much people.  I didn't know my email was in it, didn't notice.  Actually I am not *that* fussed.  People are unnecessarily bothered about email addresses.  I mean, if you on the electoral roll, everyone knows your physical address (far more threatening if you are the type who feels threatened) and there are loads of other ways to find out where you live.  Your email address (unless you purposely incorporate it!) says absolutely nothing about your physical whereabouts and your junk filters deal with ....  er, junk.

If you started to get emails from a troller or other low life, you just change your email address.

But once again, thanks, "get the protection of the FGWCS around you".

Wink
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 14:45:41 »

People are unnecessarily bothered about email addresses.
Err no.

The majority (>70%) of Advanced Persistent Threats (APT (Advanced Passenger Train)) are based on spear fishing and the use of social media to make it relevant.

Should an attacker wish to, they now have your email address and sufficient information to trick you into opening an email attachment.

So a spoofed email from XXX@firstgreatwestern.info or perhaps from any email address with a relevant message and an attachment you are inclined to open, has succeeded. Your computer is most likely now infected.

Passwords are supplemented by usernames. If you do not know the username you cannot log in. As email addresses are often interchangeable for usernames then you have one part of two required to specifically target you.

That people is why you should carefully distribute mail accounts. There are far more things I can tell you, but that should be enough to scare you.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 18:51:55 by EBrown » Logged

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2014, 07:29:33 »

This poster (image attached) has gone up at Marylebone this weekend.

I'm starting to find the whole "Chiltern vs Virgin" thing to be very boring now.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2014, 15:26:01 »

Chiltern paid for ad posters for their service from Haddenham and Thame Parkway all around Didcot a couple of years or so ago.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 19:40:56 »

Haha love it, better than the "don't be held to Branson" adverts!

To be fair, Chiltern have plastered Birmingham International and Coventry with adverts! Fair game.

If only there was more competition in the West! FGW (First Great Western) have no reason to shorten journey times as they hold a monopoly (the SWT (South West Trains) service is much slower) and there is no feasible way to get one in.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 19:43:22 »

FGW (First Great Western) have no reason to shorten journey times as they hold a monopoly (the SWT (South West Trains) service is much slower)
Remember it's the Dft that sets the timetables not the TOCs (Train Operating Company).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: