Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:32:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: CrossCountry Voyagers  (Read 14894 times)
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2009, 21:40:54 »

Earlier today I was travelling between Reading and Basingstoke on a voyager and I was not very impressed.  The train smelt of toilets and the seats were very uncomfortable. I have to say that FGW (First Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) are far superior.

anyone agree or disagree?
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 22:12:34 »

He he! Try and guess how I feel about Voyagers! Grin

I'll give you a clue:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=2473.msg19082#msg19082

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=4243.msg34743;topicseen#msg34743

Wink
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 22:52:39 »

I've only travelled on Voyagers twice, a few years ago, between B'ham International and New Street - and the toilets stank. Nasty!
Not from Brighton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 23:45:09 »

They're really cramped.
I can only assume that because they're designed to "voyage" all over the place, they have to fit through the smallest gaps on the entire network.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:31:58 »

Not a fan of voyagers myself. HST (High Speed Train)'s much better!

I find that they also give off rather offensive smells in the passenger compartments... Roll Eyes

The reclining feature on the seats in First Class is sometimes a bit tempermental... Many a time when i've pulled the leaver to recline the seat and the seat has shot off the end... Shocked

Grin Grin Grin Grin
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:34:10 »

There is also the small problem of not being enough seats in First Class at peak times.

Such a shame the HSTs (High Speed Train) pass through this part of the world at such silly times eh!
willc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 11:56:20 »

But they're not silly if you're travelling from the North East, Yorkshire, the East Midlands and Birmingham... where there are rather more passengers about than on the Devon leg of the journey outside the summer season.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 19:34:27 »

Yes, the timings are bad for us, but I understand why XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) have chosen them. Two reasons:

*commuters into Birmginham from the East Mids have extra capacity;

*all the trains can be kept up North overnight.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 19:55:12 »

Not a fan of voyagers myself. HST (High Speed Train)'s much better!

I find that they also give off rather offensive smells in the passenger compartments

that will be because the waste is sucked through pipework that rests behind panels in side train and also behind toilet mirrors you can find a filter fitted inline in the crap tank vent pipe that goes out the roof vent they dont seal very well.
so with every flush the smell from inside tank goes through pipe and filter out to roof vent but some ends up entering the carriage.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 20:52:57 »

There is also the small problem of not being enough seats in First Class at peak times.

Such a shame the HSTs (High Speed Train) pass through this part of the world at such silly times eh!

Thats something I witness all too often...!

Just an aside, the best place to get a mobile phone signal on a voyager is in "The Rubber Bit" between the carriages! Although standing there to take/make a call does offer a complimentary look of stupidity... Roll Eyes Tongue Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 21:20:52 »

Good - if it makes people leave the carriage when on their phone!
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 08:23:45 »

Thats something I witness all too often...!

Just an aside, the best place to get a mobile phone signal on a voyager is in "The Rubber Bit" between the carriages! Although standing there to take/make a call does offer a complimentary look of stupidity... Roll Eyes Tongue Grin

am i correct in thinking they have some sort of coating on the windows to reduce phone signals and stop people constantly gassing on phones annoying other passengers? i have seen somewhere FGW (First Great Western) are looking to do the same in hst quiet carriages.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 12:47:05 »

am i correct in thinking they have some sort of coating on the windows to reduce phone signals and stop people constantly gassing on phones annoying other passengers? i have seen somewhere FGW (First Great Western) are looking to do the same in hst quiet carriages.

I believe the coating on Voyager windows was to do with blocking heat from the sun, it wasn't intended to degrade mobile phones, that was an accidental side-effect. It is c2c that have discussed a window coating designed primarily for phone blocking, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).

Paul
r james

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 14:10:23 »

Has any progress been made by XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)), as I know they said they were looing to enhance mobile reception during the coure of their franchise.

No doubt this will take the form of removing windows or something drastic!
DevonTrains2008

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 16:30:49 »

Glad to see i'm not the only one  Smiley

Are XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) HSTs (High Speed Train) as good as FGW (First Great Western) ones?

I know some on this forum aren't fans of the FGW HSTs either  Wink
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: