21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:18:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[65] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[58] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[26] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains without retention tanks spray human effluent over railway trackside workers  (Read 42450 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:24:55 »

Was pondering this on my journey home last night, is such a command really still necessary in this day and age? 

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 10:30:09 »

Just look at the tracks in most stations and you have your answer
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:53:47 »

Just look at the tracks in most stations and you have your answer

Exactly, why is this still necessary in this day and age?

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 11:03:52 »

Because the HSTs (High Speed Train) were designed and built in the 1970s when train toilets had dumped straight on the ground since forever. Bogs with retention tanks ("controlled emission toilets" in current jargon) are a relatively recent innovation, and it would be hugely expensive to retro-fit all of today's stock with them given their expected remaining service life. Rest assured the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will surely have them!

As an aside, FGW (First Great Western) have an ingenious trial underway on at least one vehicle (when I used it is was labelled and formed as a "coach B") in which the toilet flush button is rendered inactive whenever the central door locking is disengaged and remains so for 20 seconds after the doors are locked. This is indicated in the actual khazi by a blue light which is illuminated when you can't flush.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:44:06 »

All new trains have retention toilets.  Old trains do not. 

You could argue that announcements about not flushing in stations are more neccessary nowadays on non-retention trains because some passengers will assume that all trains have retention toilets.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:12:46 »

Because the HSTs (High Speed Train) were designed and built in the 1970s when train toilets had dumped straight on the ground since forever. Bogs with retention tanks ("controlled emission toilets" in current jargon) are a relatively recent innovation, and it would be hugely expensive to retro-fit all of today's stock with them given their expected remaining service life. Rest assured the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will surely have them!

Not impossible to retrofit retention tanks to some trains, as seen with SWT (South West Trains)'s recent 158s and 159 overhauls.  But in FGW (First Great Western)'s case, they'd need to also add the infrastructure to deal with their 158s in the Bristol area - waiting for their turn to outberth at Fratton wouldn't be very practical... Shocked

Paul
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 13:39:42 »

That's definitely true, but the size of SWT (South West Trains)'s 158 and 159 fleet is pretty modest compared to the number of vehicles FGW (First Great Western) would have to retro-fit to find themselves in the same position. To the best of my knowledge only the 165, 166 and sleeper fleets have retention tanks. I can't see it being economic to fit tanks to the whole 15x, 14x and HST (High Speed Train) fleets any time soon, not to mention the necessary "facilities" - sorry! - at Landore/St Phillips Marsh/Old Oak etc etc.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 14:50:43 »

That's definitely true, but the size of SWT (South West Trains)'s 158 and 159 fleet is pretty modest compared to the number of vehicles FGW (First Great Western) would have to retro-fit to find themselves in the same position. To the best of my knowledge only the 165, 166 and sleeper fleets have retention tanks. I can't see it being economic to fit tanks to the whole 15x, 14x and HST (High Speed Train) fleets any time soon, not to mention the necessary "facilities" - sorry! - at Landore/St Phillips Marsh/Old Oak etc etc.

retention toilets will come in time anyway.  Money would be better spent elseware than trying to speed this up.

I read something many years ago suggesting that if toilets didn't empty onto the track, we could replace ballast with concrete paving to which the tracks were clipped and that this would be cheaper to maintain.  However, I note that HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) has ballast and retention toilets so probably a "Tomorrow's World" vision of the future. 

Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 20:39:31 »

As an aside, FGW (First Great Western) have an ingenious trial underway on at least one vehicle (when I used it is was labelled and formed as a "coach B") in which the toilet flush button is rendered inactive whenever the central door locking is disengaged and remains so for 20 seconds after the doors are locked. This is indicated in the actual khazi by a blue light which is illuminated when you can't flush.

'Flush inhibit mod'.

AFAIK (as far as I know), two sets modded and been running around since beginning of this year on a 6 month trial at the moment to evaluate effectiveness and reliability.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 22:00:42 »

Hopefully, this trial will not turn out to be just a flash in the pan, or get bogged down, but will lead to FGW (First Great Western), flushed with success, installing it on all of their trains?

Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 23:11:24 »

I'm sure the workmanship will not have been bog standard, but let's hope the experiment does not turn out to be kami-khazi.

Lips sealed
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 15:26:06 »

It's surprising that such acts are not been decried by health and safety yet

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 21:38:47 »

I travelled on the set with the flushing restrictions... Roll Eyes

Doesn't work if you run fast through a station! Only if platformed Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 21:49:54 »

I must say, the specification for that particular trial did appear rather flawed to me:

FGW (First Great Western) have an ingenious trial underway on at least one vehicle ... in which the toilet flush button is rendered inactive whenever the central door locking is disengaged and remains so for 20 seconds after the doors are locked.

In my experience, just because the CDL (Central Door Locking) is engaged doesn't necessarily mean the train is going to leave the platform within 20 seconds.  Indeed, even if the train does pull away fairly promptly, the rear (if you'll pardon the expression) carriages will probably still be opposite the platform, even if the front of the train is well beyond it?  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 22:31:22 »

Doesn't sound like it'll be perfect, I admit, but has to be a big improvement on the current situation. Flushing the lav at speed is less of an issue because the "effluent" gets caught up in the 125 mph slipstream and is mostly splattered over the running gear of the train itself rather than falling straight on the ground as happens when the train is stationary.

I have first-hand experience of a "near miss" from an illiterate bog user - they flushed the loo when I was coupling a locomotive onto the train and their little offering (yes, it was solid  Angry) missed me by inches. I don't suppose they expected to be bawled at by an angry shunter because they emerged from the khazi looking a little shell shocked.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: