Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 17:14:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains without retention tanks spray human effluent over railway trackside workers  (Read 42570 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 16:07:48 »

Flushing the lav at speed is less of an issue because the "effluent" gets caught up in the 125 mph slipstream and is mostly splattered over the running gear of the train itself rather than falling straight on the ground as happens when the train is stationary.

Though not much fun for the poor track workers who end up getting covered in a fine mist which is only about 50% water...

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 20:00:52 »

I am sure there was some news report last year about the huge cost to NR» (Network Rail - home page) to do with the cleaning of the line.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 20:12:25 »

Doesn't sound like it'll be perfect, I admit, but has to be a big improvement on the current situation. Flushing the lav at speed is less of an issue because the "effluent" gets caught up in the 125 mph slipstream and is mostly splattered over the running gear of the train itself rather than falling straight on the ground as happens when the train is stationary.

I have first-hand experience of a "near miss" from an illiterate bog user - they flushed the loo when I was coupling a locomotive onto the train and their little offering (yes, it was solid  Angry) missed me by inches. I don't suppose they expected to be bawled at by an angry shunter because they emerged from the khazi looking a little shell shocked.

i remember a 143 i was working had fitters attention on plat 1 at btm,they were doing something underneath when a passenger flushed the lav missing them by inches.upon leaving the toilet the passenger found it funny until the fitter had some choice words.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 22:46:23 »

I am sure there was some news report last year about the huge cost to NR» (Network Rail - home page) to do with the cleaning of the line.

Quite right, SDA/Guard - and congratulations on your new job (if you'll pardon that expression, on this particular topic!) Lips sealed

Network Rail's claim for the ^7.2 million cost of this track cleaning was rejected - see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/3286898/Network-Rail-rebuffed-on-lavatory-levy.html

For the Network Rail report itself, see http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20documents/regulatory%20documents/access%20charges%20reviews/consultations%20on%20future%20charging/final%20charging%20proposals/b%20-effluent%20on%20track%20nr%20&%20atoc%20consultation%20%204%20sept%2008.pdf

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 22:48:02 »

Cheers  Grin.... I'll soon just be 'Guard' or such, but thought a transition period was probably required  Cheesy

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 23:43:01 »

Was just on the FGW (First Great Western) jobs website, I never realised SDAs were just platform based at a particular station  Cheesy

I'm sure being a Guard will be a nice change. Shame about the traction Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 01:36:10 »

In my experience, just because the CDL (Central Door Locking) is engaged doesn't necessarily mean the train is going to leave the platform within 20 seconds.  Indeed, even if the train does pull away fairly promptly, the rear (if you'll pardon the expression) carriages will probably still be opposite the platform, even if the front of the train is well beyond it?  Roll Eyes

Indeed. A minute would be a more appropriate delay - twenty seconds and the train will only have moved a couple of feet even with the promptest of dispatching!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 17:19:35 »

What do folks think of the revolting mess underneath the SLE's and SLEP's at Paddington (that's the night sleepers)? There used to be brick channels that could be hosed down but now there's ballast covered by plastic sheeting. The net result is slowly evaporating pools of liquid, solidus, papier mache etc between the platforms, perfuming Brunel's masterpiece and appropriately introducing Heathrow Express customers to the Country where they have just landed. Stations are probably exempt from the Public Health Acts otherwise the Local Authority could close the lot down.

NR» (Network Rail - home page), FGW (First Great Western) and all the King's horses could do better than this.

Emetically,

OTC
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 17:54:36 »

Paddington Station is run by Network Rail and i believe they are responsible for Station Cleaning

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 13:42:47 »

What do folks think of the revolting mess underneath the SLE's and SLEP's at Paddington (that's the night sleepers)? There used to be brick channels that could be hosed down but now there's ballast covered by plastic sheeting. The net result is slowly evaporating pools of liquid, solidus, papier mache etc between the platforms, perfuming Brunel's masterpiece and appropriately introducing Heathrow Express customers to the Country where they have just landed. Stations are probably exempt from the Public Health Acts otherwise the Local Authority could close the lot down.

NR» (Network Rail - home page), FGW (First Great Western) and all the King's horses could do better than this.

Emetically,

OTC

the plastic sheeting is supposed to make cleaning easier.  It is changed sometimes although perhaps not enough. 

I have never used the FGW sleeper but have used the Scotrail one many times.  I am sure that the Scottish sleeper coaches do have retention toilets and I am surpised that the FGW ones do not. 

Whilst I wouldn't favour retrofitting tanks to all older stock the sleeper trains could probably be justified as an exception - afterall you are allowed to baord at Paddington an hour or so before departure.  Supposing you board at 10:30 and want to use the facilities before going to bed.  Are you supposed to leave your compartment and find a station toilet or stay awake until the train has left paddington at 11:45 pm?  If so the train is effectively without a toilet during the times demand for one is likely to be highest
super tm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 16:43:50 »

The sleepers do have retention tanks.  The mess comes from people who use the HST (High Speed Train) toilets whilst the train is standing in the platform.
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 09:11:24 »

Let's get it clear, the sleeping cars have retention tanks, the Day Cars of the sleeper train DO NOT.

The class 159's were modified 158's (and modified before they ever entered service) and 159's have retention tanks, the 158 do not.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 20:54:15 »

Let's get it clear, the sleeping cars have retention tanks, the Day Cars of the sleeper train DO NOT.

The class 159's were modified 158's (and modified before they ever entered service) and 159's have retention tanks, the 158 do not.

SWT (South West Trains)'s 158s have retention tanks. The refurbishment included fitting them.

Paul
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 23:04:46 »

In my experience, very little use of the toilets in HST (High Speed Train)'s is made in Paddington Station, certainly for No. 2's. Most customers are either fighting to get a seat or lining up to get off.

Thus if the few Mk3a loco hauled cars marshalled with the sleepers were given retention tanks, the station sewage problem would be almost gone.

In this case it's the Railway that has the dirty habits rather than its customers.

OTC

SuperGlam

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 09:22:09 »

What are the worst stations for toilet waste on the track in our areas?  Merthyr isn't too pretty!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: