Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:29:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Trains without retention tanks spray human effluent over railway trackside workers  (Read 41969 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2017, 11:02:09 »

...I don't think the name is short for cesspit. I've never seen any "bangers and mash" in a cess.

A quick etymological investigation reveals that cess probably derives from cesspool, which is a corruption of suspiral meaning vent, water pipe or settling tank.

In railways, the cess does act as a drain, but principally for rain falling on the track ballast. The volume of sewage emanating from train toilets may be unpleasant, but it doesn't justify that much civil engineering.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2017, 15:12:37 »

After the cab has passed it would be very reasonable to try and have a short conversation before you were able to resume work.

A short conversation may not be wise when a train without retention toilets is passing. I'd keep my mouth firmly shut, lest I get an unwanted helping of bangers and mash.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2017, 15:41:36 »

Fair point Ellendune although this stretch is rather segregated from the existing 2 track section and other activity (such as the lone shoveller, moving truckage surveyors etc) seem never to be so constrained by passing rail traffic.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2017, 16:21:31 »

I can assure you being sprayed at 125mph with atomised S&P whilst standing trackside is not one of the most of pleasant experiences I have endured in my long railway career....... Tongue Undecided
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2017, 16:47:52 »

Isn't there a 'sell-by' date for those trains without retention tanks to have them fitted? sometime in 2020? So all stock in use after this date will * all* have retention tanks. Hence those (and only those currently) going to Scotrail (and being shortened) are being converted as part of the shortening process (which is why the work has needed to be started)

I guess GWR (Great Western Railway) need to do those short HSTs (High Speed Train) they are keeping for Devon & Cornwall too at some stage.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2017, 17:20:50 »

Isn't there a 'sell-by' date for those trains without retention tanks to have them fitted? sometime in 2020? So all stock in use after this date will * all* have retention tanks. Hence those (and only those currently) going to Scotrail (and being shortened) are being converted as part of the shortening process (which is why the work has needed to be started)

I guess GWR (Great Western Railway) need to do those short HSTs (High Speed Train) they are keeping for Devon & Cornwall too at some stage.

AAUI the deadline for retention toilets is the last day of 2020.  This is later than the accessibility modification deadline of 1 Jan 2020.  However, fitting electric doors and retention toilets to a MkIII are both big jobs which it makes sense to do together and I think doing them together was the original plan and is still what is happening at least for the Scotland-bound sets.  AAUI, the toilet deadline as well as being later is also just an internal NR» (Network Rail - home page) deadline rather than an EU» (European Union - about) one so I can see the disability modifications being prioritised if needed and the toilet ones being allowed to slip.

NR has intended to apply the toilet deadline to heritage and charter stock, but has delayed doing so. 
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2017, 18:26:05 »

I can assure you being sprayed at 125mph with atomised S&P whilst standing trackside is not one of the most of pleasant experiences I have endured in my long railway career....... Tongue Undecided

Surely someone can think of a way to get certain politicians to stand trackside in an appropriate location... maybe we could ask them to re-announce the GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification, or a new scheme for Portishead involving diesel buses on ordinary roads... with a bit of co-ordination you could get all the toilets flushing at the same time...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2017, 18:30:37 »

Surely someone can think of a way to get certain politicians to stand trackside in an appropriate location...

They spout enough of it as it is.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2017, 19:19:37 »

Now for the how. AAUI, there is only one winding in an autotransformer

AAUI the deadline for retention toilets is the last day of 2020.

Forgive me ... AAUI?   Familiar with AIUI (as I understand it) (As I Understand it) but AAUI isn't in our acronyms list  Undecided

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2017, 07:19:29 »

I agree with SandT Engineer, the only thing worse than being sprayed trackside is working on traction and rolling stock especially on set that has just come off of a run on a wet day  Angry

The fitting of retention toilets on trains is something that should have been done when the Mk3 were designed.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2017, 09:32:38 »

Pedant alert!

I think we should restrict ourselves to the term 'retention tank(s)'; a 'retention toilet' is surely just another name for a bucket and on a train this would quite rapidly become very messy!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2017, 11:38:25 »

Pedant alert!

I think we should restrict ourselves to the term 'retention tank(s)'; a 'retention toilet' is surely just another name for a bucket and on a train this would quite rapidly become very messy!

I think I have heard them called Controlled Emission Toilets (CET (Controlled Emission Toilet)).
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2017, 19:56:02 »

Blue lights if anyone does want to try and spot one of them lit beneath the grime!  Personally I can't wait for the new toilets to be fitted as the current ones fitted during the refresh continue to not be fit for purpose - running out of water or blocking far to quickly and easily.

The only reason the toilets block far too easily is because passengers flush all manners if things down them!

Points raised here.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2017, 20:32:30 »

Libation and vibration do not make a happy marriage...

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2017, 19:20:31 »

Pedant alert!

Grin Grin Well hopefully the tank will retain the effluent, when it doesn't the Water Closet .............. errrrrrrrrrr becomes a spray booth  Grin

Pedant alert!

I think I have heard them called Controlled Emission Toilets (CET (Controlled Emission Toilet)).

CET is the correct phrase ............. although sometimes when the door open one does wonder how effectively the emissions are controlled  peeeeeeeeeeeehueeeeeeewww  Cheesy

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: